Sign in with
Your question

Help building $20000 no monitor Adobe CS6 rig

Last response: in Systems
October 16, 2012 4:17:47 PM

Hi, I would love the communities thoughts about this build:
I'm in the process of building a new computer for my girlfriends job, with the following principles:

1. She will use it for Adobe Photoshop CS6, InDesign CS6 and Illustrator CS6.
2. She will NOT use it for video rendering.
3. She will NOT use for gaming.
4. Her only knowledge about hardware is that "Macbooks look good" so I'm thinking that it has to be really silent and look rather distinguished (i.e. no flashing lights etc).
5. The budget is rather flexible would the absolute maximum would be $2000.

She's already got an Samsung 27" SyncMaster SB970D as a monitor so there's no need for a new one.

I find the absolute hardest part being deciding between AMD/Intel on the CPU part, and AMD/nVidia on the graphics part. It seems, correct me if I'm wrong, that AMD uses OpenGL/CL in a way that for the moment would be an advantage over nVidia but I'm even less certain when it comes to the CPU. Advice appreciated!

So here's my thought and suggestions:

Case:
Fractal Design Define R4 :: $135

PSU:
Seasonic x850 850W :: $290

Fans:
Something from Fractal Design or Scythe. As a CPU fan maybe the Noctua NH-U9DX for $96

System HD:
Samsung 830 Series MZ-7PC128 128GB :: $128

Scratchdisk for Adobe programs:
Samsung 830 Series MZ-7PC064 64GB :: $92 (Or maybe switch the system and the scratch disk)

General HD:
Western Digital Caviar Black WD2002FAEX 64MB 2TB :: $223

CPU:
AMD FX-Series FX-8150 3,6GHz Socket AM3+ :: $230

Motherboard:
Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z :: $323

Graphics card:
Some Radeon 7970, not quite sure yet, possibly ASUS. :: Approx $540

RAM:
G.Skill TridentX DDR3 PC19200/2400MHz CL10 2x8GB

So, what should I change? Gladly anticipating the verdict from the forum!

Regards
Johan
October 16, 2012 4:52:24 PM

Oops, sorry, it should read $2000 not $20000, haha!
October 16, 2012 4:58:04 PM

jdb264c said:
Oops, sorry, it should read $2000 not $20000, haha!

i was quite shocked when i saw $20k?? how on earth ppl would spend this much on a pc? :o  i would rather pay for mortgage or simply just buy a car with that money..
Related resources
October 16, 2012 4:59:29 PM

Quote:
i was gonna say lol, 20k for a photo shop rig?

Haha, yeah, it would be like a Vertu version with fugly diamonds etc on the case :D 
October 16, 2012 5:06:36 PM

i think you are minimaxing somethings, but blowing out your budget on others.

1) I believe for Adobe, a $150 gaming card (like a 7770) is going to do the same hardware acceleration as the $500 gaming card. This is 25% of your budget and not pulling it's weight I think.

If you really are ONLY Adobe and want to spend $500 for hardware acceleration I think you need to look at the specialized workstation graphics cards. (i am not an expert, but other adobe pros please step in)

2) You are also better off taking some of that money and bringing ram to 32gb for only ~$80 more, or even higher. I suppose you can do this afterwards

3) Given your budget, your 2ndary SSD, I would get 128gb for just the $30 more. No point in minimizing here, you will be stuck later if you are undersized. Then spending $200 for a HDD is also wasted money. Bulk storage is bulk storage, get a 2tb for $100.

4) I would get the intel i7 platform over the amd

5) For fan, I think the hyper evo212 will be fine. You're not pushing for most fps...

6) Also note the r4 reqarded as being a nice pick for quiet (silentpcreview) is a bigger case. If your girlfriend is an artist, perhaps she'd prefer something more svelte. If you can find an r3, maybe that's cool.

7) potentially you can reduce the power supply wattage, as these higher wattages really are only needed to power gamers dual/tri video cards to save some money ,but seasonic is good.

8) accessories. sort of an afterthought, but don't forget.
Throw in a bluray/dvd writer (get the retail with software to avoid software hassle)
if your case doesn't already have cardreader slots, throw in a card reader.
if you need wifi or new speakers throw those in.
Although these are relatively cheap extras, they count for a lot of utility for the actual user.
October 16, 2012 5:10:52 PM

all you need is this
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kvb7

intel performs better
you dont need to overclock a workstation
overspending on motherboard
get one large SSD rather than 2 small ones
CUDA is a bit more mature and has been used more on the adobe suite. id suggest sticking with CUDA
extreme overkill power supply
October 16, 2012 5:14:37 PM

Just a few thoughts. Intel has the best processors. You want a fast processor with multiple cores. I'd go with an Intel 3930

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

With this you will need a 2011 motherboard. Be sure to include plenty of ram and use all four channels. Since it is so cheap, go for 32G ram.

You do not need a big, expensive graphics board since she won't be gaming. It would be a waste of money, power, and noise. Go for something in Gigabyte Nividia 660. Low power and noise:

October 16, 2012 5:18:05 PM

jdb264c said:
Hi, I would love the communities thoughts about this build:
I'm in the process of building a new computer for my girlfriends job, with the following principles:

1. She will use it for Adobe Photoshop CS6, InDesign CS6 and Illustrator CS6.
2. She will NOT use it for video rendering.
3. She will NOT use for gaming.
4. Her only knowledge about hardware is that "Macbooks look good" so I'm thinking that it has to be really silent and look rather distinguished (i.e. no flashing lights etc).
5. The budget is rather flexible would the absolute maximum would be $20000.

She's already got an Samsung 27" SyncMaster SB970D as a monitor so there's no need for a new one.

I find the absolute hardest part being deciding between AMD/Intel on the CPU part, and AMD/nVidia on the graphics part. It seems, correct me if I'm wrong, that AMD uses OpenGL/CL in a way that for the moment would be an advantage over nVidia but I'm even less certain when it comes to the CPU. Advice appreciated!

So here's my thought and suggestions:

Case:
Fractal Design Define R4 :: $135

PSU:
Seasonic x850 850W :: $290

Fans:
Something from Fractal Design or Scythe. As a CPU fan maybe the Noctua NH-U9DX for $96

System HD:
Samsung 830 Series MZ-7PC128 128GB :: $128

Scratchdisk for Adobe programs:
Samsung 830 Series MZ-7PC064 64GB :: $92 (Or maybe switch the system and the scratch disk)

General HD:
Western Digital Caviar Black WD2002FAEX 64MB 2TB :: $223

CPU:
AMD FX-Series FX-8150 3,6GHz Socket AM3+ :: $230

Motherboard:
Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z :: $323

Graphics card:
Some Radeon 7970, not quite sure yet, possibly ASUS. :: Approx $540

RAM:
G.Skill TridentX DDR3 PC19200/2400MHz CL10 2x8GB

So, what should I change? Gladly anticipating the verdict from the forum!

Regards
Johan

Ahhh! so much wasted money!
This is huge overkill for a photoshop/illustrator computer and money is spent in the wrong places.

Opt for a larger SSD drive. 256 GB +. Maybe a 128GB paired with a 256GB.
You'll want the OS and her apps on a SSD, and preferably the files she's actively working on.

Graphics card:
You probably don't even need a dedicated graphics card but if you really want to go hog wild opt for the AMD 7850 card. My recommendation is to save your money and use the HD4000 on the following CPU: i7-3770K or i5-3570k. I really doubt she's going to max out the i7-3770k so if she's not a power user the i7-3570k should work great. You can always add a graphics card later, but I don't really see why she would need one given the usage case.

Power supply...you don't need the 850W, again you can save your money here, get a 650W or so.

Motherboard...Asrock is a good brand, you don't need to spend more than 200 bucks on one. Spending 300+ bucks for a motherboard on a non enthusiast system is madness.

October 16, 2012 5:20:53 PM

The 8150 is not ment for a shop rig, or if it ever was, its terrible at it.
go with an i7.
October 16, 2012 5:24:57 PM

here's a benchmarks on graphics cards for photoshop. Looks like a 7750 ($100) is enough card...

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Photosh...

There is a link in there for a Premiere benchmark which does have CUDA acceleration so you should go for nvidia if you're doing premiere....but even there $150 worth of card seems to be the sweet spot
October 16, 2012 5:25:45 PM

no the fx chips are pretty good at multi-threaded tasks such as rendering things. makes a good budget workstation but you have a bit more money to spend so why not go with a i7
October 16, 2012 5:29:07 PM

raytseng said:
i think you are minimaxing somethings, but blowing out your budget on others.

1) I believe for Adobe, a $150 gaming card (like a 7770) is going to do the same hardware acceleration as the $500 gaming card. This is 25% of your budget and not pulling it's weight I think.

If you really are ONLY Adobe and want to spend $500 for hardware acceleration I think you need to look at the specialized workstation graphics cards. (i am not an expert, but other adobe pros please step in)

2) You are also better off taking some of that money and bringing ram to 32gb for only ~$100 more, or even higher. I suppose you can do this afterwards

3) Given your budget, your 2ndary SSD, I would get 128gb for just the $30 more. No point in minimizing here, you will be stuck later if you are undersized.

4) I would get the intel i7 platform over the amd

5) For fan, I think the hyper evo212 will be fine.

Thank you for your advice, much appreciated!

1. Yes, maybe you're right, it might be overkill with the 7970. And the price difference is massive...
2-3. Good points!
4. What should I look for? It seems that the amount of cores would be the most relevant thing?
5. Will check this out, thank you!
October 16, 2012 5:32:37 PM

TheBigTroll said:
all you need is this
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kvb7

intel performs better
you dont need to overclock a workstation
overspending on motherboard
get one large SSD rather than 2 small ones
CUDA is a bit more mature and has been used more on the adobe suite. id suggest sticking with CUDA
extreme overkill power supply

Really nice system, thank you very much!

One question though. I first considered going for a single 256 SSD instead and partitioning it but some comment in some fora somewhere said that it really needs to be two physically different HDs when optimizing for Adobe. Is this true?

Regarding CUDA, following the discussions regarding the upgrade from CS5.5 to CS6 it seems that Adobe is leaving CUDA for Open, hence the choice of graphic card.

Thanks again!
October 16, 2012 5:32:45 PM

If no rendering is being done directly on the machine (though at even a $2000 price point why wouldn't you??) then all that you really need is an i5 level CPU (though AMD would be better for this workload, I am not familiar with their equivilant of an i5), a decent motherboard ($350 is way overkill), lots of system ram (16-32GB) the speed of which does not matter so 1333 would be fine, and then fast SSDs.

-So knock down the CPU to a quad core
-CPU cooler is beyond overkill, and simply for looks. As the computer will probably sit under a desk and never be looked at I would suggest something more practical.
-knock down the mobo several notches ($150-225 level)
+get 32GB (4x8GB) of DDR3 1600 memory (timings do not matter)
+get a single large (512GB) SSD which is capable of OS/programs/scratch/media, and pair it with a large 2TB HDD for backups and cold storage (should spin down in sleep mode most of the time). It makes file management much simpler to do all work on a sing drive, especially for the 'technically ignorant'
+Consider getting a decent Firepro or Quadro card. As you are not rendering it does not need to be fancy, just more color accurate than standard video, and may give more connection options (video editng is so much easier when you have 2-3 monitors)

Personally I like nice small work-horse machines, and if you go with the Intel side of things you can put together a very nice mATX rig that is powerful enough to do HD editing, while cool enough to fit in a very small case that can easily hide behind a computer monitor, or be bolted on the under side of a desk. Sadly the AMD stuff runs a bit too warm to really consider doing this in such a small enclosure at this point (though the next gen stuff coming out ought to be better).
October 16, 2012 5:33:29 PM

babernet_1 said:
Just a few thoughts. Intel has the best processors. You want a fast processor with multiple cores. I'd go with an Intel 3930

With this you will need a 2011 motherboard. Be sure to include plenty of ram and use all four channels. Since it is so cheap, go for 32G ram.

You do not need a big, expensive graphics board since she won't be gaming. It would be a waste of money, power, and noise. Go for something in Gigabyte Nividia 660. Low power and noise:

Thanks for answering!

So, once again a suggetion for Intel, I should reconsider :) 
32Gb RAM it is, you've all convinced me.

And regarding the garphics card, see above.

Thanks again!
October 16, 2012 5:36:08 PM

ph1sh55 said:
Ahhh! so much wasted money!
This is huge overkill for a photoshop/illustrator computer and money is spent in the wrong places.

Opt for a larger SSD drive. 256 GB +. Maybe a 128GB paired with a 256GB.
You'll want the OS and her apps on a SSD, and preferably the files she's actively working on.

Graphics card:
You probably don't even need a dedicated graphics card but if you really want to go hog wild opt for the AMD 7850 card. My recommendation is to save your money and use the HD4000 on the following CPU: i7-3770K or i5-3570k. I really doubt she's going to max out the i7-3770k so if she's not a power user the i7-3570k should work great. You can always add a graphics card later, but I don't really see why she would need one given the usage case.

Power supply...you don't need the 850W, again you can save your money here, get a 650W or so.

Motherboard...Asrock is a good brand, you don't need to spend more than 200 bucks on one. Spending 300+ bucks for a motherboard on a non enthusiast system is madness.

Thank you very much, these are all great advice! I'm all convinced :) 
October 16, 2012 5:36:20 PM

jdb264c said:
Really nice system, thank you very much!

One question though. I first considered going for a single 256 SSD instead and partitioning it but some comment in some fora somewhere said that it really needs to be two physically different HDs when optimizing for Adobe. Is this true?

Regarding CUDA, following the discussions regarding the upgrade from CS5.5 to CS6 it seems that Adobe is leaving CUDA for Open, hence the choice of graphic card.

Thanks again!

id rather stick to a single large SSD to keep things simple

they are both about the same with CUDA having the edge since nvidia actively works and makes things better with CUDA (AMD isnt the best in terms of drivers) and that CUDA had more time to figure things out. id just stick with CUDA but if you want to you could move over to OpenGL
October 16, 2012 5:37:19 PM

i edited my reply above, do check out some of the other suggestions I added.
good luck.
October 16, 2012 5:37:51 PM

32gb of ram is pretty overkill. if you do want 32gb, you could build a ramdisk for your extremely quick loading times for Adobe. just remember that everything is lost on the ramdisk once you power off so use it as a scratch disk.

just buy 2 sets of the ram i suggested. its sooo cheap
October 16, 2012 5:38:41 PM

raytseng said:
here's a benchmarks on graphics cards for photoshop. Looks like a 7750 ($100) is enough card...

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Photosh...

There is a link in there for a Premiere benchmark which does have CUDA acceleration so you should go for nvidia if you're doing premiere....but even there $150 worth of card seems to be the sweet spot

Very interesting read, I had missed that one. Thank you!
October 16, 2012 5:42:05 PM

CaedenV said:
If no rendering is being done directly on the machine (though at even a $2000 price point why wouldn't you??) then all that you really need is an i5 level CPU (though AMD would be better for this workload, I am not familiar with their equivilant of an i5), a decent motherboard ($350 is way overkill), lots of system ram (16-32GB) the speed of which does not matter so 1333 would be fine, and then fast SSDs.

-So knock down the CPU to a quad core
-CPU cooler is beyond overkill, and simply for looks. As the computer will probably sit under a desk and never be looked at I would suggest something more practical.
-knock down the mobo several notches ($150-225 level)
+get 32GB (4x8GB) of DDR3 1600 memory (timings do not matter)
+get a single large (512GB) SSD which is capable of OS/programs/scratch/media, and pair it with a large 2TB HDD for backups and cold storage (should spin down in sleep mode most of the time). It makes file management much simpler to do all work on a sing drive, especially for the 'technically ignorant'
+Consider getting a decent Firepro or Quadro card. As you are not rendering it does not need to be fancy, just more color accurate than standard video, and may give more connection options (video editng is so much easier when you have 2-3 monitors)

Personally I like nice small work-horse machines, and if you go with the Intel side of things you can put together a very nice mATX rig that is powerful enough to do HD editing, while cool enough to fit in a very small case that can easily hide behind a computer monitor, or be bolted on the under side of a desk. Sadly the AMD stuff runs a bit too warm to really consider doing this in such a small enclosure at this point (though the next gen stuff coming out ought to be better).

Very good points, thank you very much! I hadn't even considered doing an mATX before :) 
I did not know that the timing of the RAM didn't matter, interesting!
October 16, 2012 5:44:08 PM

raytseng said:
i edited my reply above, do check out some of the other suggestions I added.
good luck.

Great points, I had completely missed the card reader etc! Thanks!
October 16, 2012 6:32:54 PM

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=71144&vpn=BFC-PRO-300-...
Bitfenix Prodigy mITX Mini-ITX Tower Case - $80

Thermaltake Toughpower XT TPX-575M - $60

http://www.microcenter.com/product/388579/Core_i5_3450_...
Core i5 3450 - $150

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 - $30

ASUS P8H77-I - $100

PowerColor AX7850 2GBD5-2DH - $180

http://www.microcenter.com/product/364545/m4_CT128M4SSD...
Crucial m4 CT128M4SSD2 128GB - $80

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=65701&vpn=ST1000DM003&...
Seagate Barracuda 1TB - $70

LG DVD Burner GH24NS90 - $18

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB CML8GX3M2A1600C9 - $40

total: $808 after rebate excluding shipping

you can just build an mini-itx system with an i5 quad core cpu will be more than enough for the job..
October 16, 2012 6:49:33 PM

phenom90 said:

[...]

total: $808 after rebate excluding shipping

you can just build an mini-itx system with an i5 quad core cpu will be more than enough for the job..

Thank you! I realize againg and again that the initial computer was a weird mix of unnecessary gamers demands and other overkills, will do a revised list soon :) 
October 16, 2012 8:18:35 PM

So, an interesting answer to the same question over at Anandtech:
Pich the Xeon E3 instead of 3770 and then the ASUS P8C WS for motherboard.
I have absolutely no knowledge about the Xeon series, but would this be a good alternative for this computer?
October 16, 2012 8:48:14 PM

Ok, thank you everyone for your input! I've done some changes and would appreciate further recommendations and comments:

I have now switched over to Intel CPUs and picked a 3770K. As to the motherboard, I really downsized and am now thinking of the ASUS P8Z77-V LX.
I upgraded the amount of RAM to 4x8 Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz and switched the both SSD into one 256 Gb. I finally downgraded the PSU to the Seasonic 560W (still overkill?) and the graphic card to the 7870 (still overkill maybe).
October 16, 2012 9:33:45 PM

Could you give us a new listing of everything?
October 16, 2012 9:59:59 PM

babernet_1 said:
Could you give us a new listing of everything?

Yes, this would be an updated but not final list:

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 with the included Fractal Design Silent Fans (guessing these could be easily upgraded later if she complains about noise.)

PSU: Seasonic X-560 (Is this still too much?)

HD1: Samsung 830 SSD 256 Gb

HD2: WD Caviar Black 2Tb

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LX (This is really going from the top of the list to the "bottom" but maybe enough?)

CPU: Intel 3770K 3,5 GHz

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32Gb (4x8Gb) PC1200 1600MHz

Graphics: Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2Gb GHz Edition (Still overkill?)

Peripherals: A Sony DVD-writer, a card reader and a Logitech keyboard and mouse.
October 16, 2012 10:28:33 PM

The psu is fine. not sure how much more you can save by going cheaper. seasonic is quiet and toptier..

case: case should be good, but note it is really big, and you don't reallyhave that much stuff, do take a look at r3 or others options on silentpcreview. the built-in fans should be really quiet as it is.

cpu: if you don't want to overclock, getting non-k will save you a few bucks. you can still can increase the non-k 400mhz, so you aren't missing out by going non-k; and k is only if you're on the edge and intend to OC by more than 400mhz.

cpu cooler: you still should stick in the 212evo just for noise, as well as to keep the i7 a bit cooler.

GPU- no game usage so this is still overkill in my opinion. $100 wasted based on what the puget benchmarks said.

mobo-is fine. you don't need the extra features, why pay for it.

hdd- still think you might be wasting money with the black, but meh...not a big deal. should be more reliable based on their warranty anyway.
October 16, 2012 10:40:32 PM

raytseng said:
The psu is fine. not sure how much more you can save by going cheaper. seasonic is quiet.

case: case should be good, but note it is really big, and you don't reallyhave that much stuff, do take a look at r3 or others options on silentpcreview. the built-in fans should be really quiet as it is.

cpu: if you don't want to overclock, getting non-k will save you a few bucks. you can still can increase the non-k 400mhz, so you aren't missing out by going non-k.

cpu cooler: you still should stick in the 212evo just for noise, as well as to keep the i7 a bit cooler.

GPU- no games this is still overkill in my opinion. $100 wasted over the top compared to what the real benchmarks say.

mobo-is fine. you don't need the extra features, why pay for it.

hdd- still think you might be wasting money with the black, but meh...

Thanks again, really good advice!
The store that I have to get it unfortunately don't carry the R3 anymore, I checked after your advice.
Will look at the non-K, I really not that familiar with overclocking.
Forgot the Evo212 in my new list, thanks!
I don't why I don't dare downgrading the GPU more, I really have no reason not listening to you, it's something mental :)  Will reconsider a second time and probably follow your advice.
Thanks again!
October 16, 2012 10:42:52 PM

don't forget copy of Windows in your total too..
October 16, 2012 10:52:30 PM

raytseng said:
don't forget copy of Windows in your total too..

True. Afaik she has an almost new version of W7 so I'm just thinking of doing an upgrade for W8 in a few weeks.

I really haven't thought about getting a smaller case than midAtx. With these components, and thinking that the computer will only have minimal upgrades in the future, could I go for smaller without risking it getting too hot?

Thanks again for all your time!
October 17, 2012 12:13:26 AM

make sure she is OK with win8 before you spring it on her. Personally I like the new OS, as does my wife, but if you get someone who is already kinda lost trying to use the new interface they may get rather frustrated and annoyed.
October 17, 2012 12:22:40 AM

for the CPU cooler, get a noctua u12p SE2 at us.ncix for 39.99. the hyper 212 evo is loud

get a cheaper power supply like the one i recommended

dont bother with a k chip if you are not overclocking

dont bother with a z77 chipset if you are not overclocking
October 17, 2012 5:28:41 AM

CaedenV said:
make sure she is OK with win8 before you spring it on her. Personally I like the new OS, as does my wife, but if you get someone who is already kinda lost trying to use the new interface they may get rather frustrated and annoyed.

True, thanks!
October 17, 2012 5:31:49 AM

TheBigTroll said:
for the CPU cooler, get a noctua u12p SE2 at us.ncix for 39.99. the hyper 212 evo is loud

get a cheaper power supply like the one i recommended

dont bother with a k chip if you are not overclocking

dont bother with a z77 chipset if you are not overclocking

Can I calculate about how powerful the PSU should be? I read somewhere that one should go for some headroom, hence this size, but maybe that's unnecessary?

I've decided to overclock her system so I'm going for the 3770K and the Z77 (albeit one of the cheaper Z77).
I'm really interested in the idea of going for a smaller formfactor, microATX/MiniITX, would this be doable? It seems I don't have that many units in her system but I'm afraid of the heat.
October 17, 2012 6:58:11 AM

If heat/fan noise is an issue, go for the new nvidia, especially the Gigabyte for they have three fans and run cool and quiet. As I said, a Gigabyte Nividia 660. Low power and noise:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814125443
October 17, 2012 10:41:09 AM

jdb264c said:
Can I calculate about how powerful the PSU should be? I read somewhere that one should go for some headroom, hence this size, but maybe that's unnecessary?

I've decided to overclock her system so I'm going for the 3770K and the Z77 (albeit one of the cheaper Z77).
I'm really interested in the idea of going for a smaller formfactor, microATX/MiniITX, would this be doable? It seems I don't have that many units in her system but I'm afraid of the heat.

550w for any sinlge GPU system.

i recommended a matx build. if you want me to configure one that can overclock, just say so
October 17, 2012 11:02:01 AM

TheBigTroll said:
550w for any sinlge GPU system.

i recommended a matx build. if you want me to configure one that can overclock, just say so

Good, then the Seasonic 560W will be perfect.

I've actually decided to go for mATX for her now, since I'm pretty sure that this system will change (upgrade) some components in the future as technology moves forward, but most probably won't get additinoal components. Hence mATX will suffice.
I would really love if you'd help me with this!
I've landed on the Fractal Design Define Mini as a case and was thinking of the ASUS P8Z77-M Pro as motherboard with the 3770K. Would this be a good choice for an overclockable system? Should i stay with the Corsair Vengeance 2x8Gb 1600MHz as RAM?
Thanks for helping out!
October 17, 2012 11:06:49 AM

no get the xfx 550w. 80+ gold is useless at this wattage level.

for the motherboard, id suggest this. asus wasnt too good with their MATX offerings

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007R21JW2/?tag=pcpapi-20

for the ram, as i said, get patriot viper 3 2x8gb for 45 dollars after MIR at us.ncix
October 17, 2012 12:42:50 PM

TheBigTroll said:
no get the xfx 550w. 80+ gold is useless at this wattage level.

for the motherboard, id suggest this. asus wasnt too good with their MATX offerings

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007R21JW2/?tag=pcpapi-20

for the ram, as i said, get patriot viper 3 2x8gb for 45 dollars after MIR at us.ncix

Thanks again! Unfortunately, the store that we have to use did not carry the xfx nor the gigabyte. Will switch the RAM though :) 
October 17, 2012 12:47:30 PM

why not buy online? i dont see why not. you get electronic recepits that you cant lose.
October 17, 2012 1:27:54 PM

Yeah, that's what I said too, but her boss says no. Small town, probably nepotism ;) 
October 17, 2012 1:32:17 PM

not buying online in 2012 makes zero sense. well what do they have then?

if they have a corsair tx650w v2 somewhere, it will work fine
October 18, 2012 10:15:05 AM

TheBigTroll said:
not buying online in 2012 makes zero sense. well what do they have then?

if they have a corsair tx650w v2 somewhere, it will work fine

Yep, absolutely zero sense... They did have the tx650 so we'' go for that one.
Thanks again for all help!
October 20, 2012 5:09:23 AM

babernet_1 said:
If heat/fan noise is an issue, go for the new nvidia, especially the Gigabyte for they have three fans and run cool and quiet. As I said, a Gigabyte Nividia 660. Low power and noise:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814125443

I put the aftermarket zalman on my old-ish 570, and it is quite silent now, and much cooler than it ever was before. Gotta say though that replacing the GPU cooler is perhaps the scariest thing I have ever done with the exception of updating the BIOS on my motherboard. The GPU has such a huge surface area that it made for a ton of suction, and the stock cooler did not want to come off. But it was all worth it in the end.
Anonymous
February 7, 2014 5:07:59 AM

MOTHERBOARD
ASRock Z87 Extreme11/ac Motherboard
Rs. 47628
PUNCH PUNCHING MACHINE
Belkin 8 Socket Surge Protector (Grey)
Rs. 2924
G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 32 GB (4 x 8GB) PC RAM ...
RAM
Rs. 31999
SPEAKER
Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II Desktop Spea...
Rs. 11876
SCANNER
HP Scanjet 8270 Document Flatbed
Rs. 51300
MONITOR
Viewsonic 21.5 inch LED Backlit LCD - TD2220 ...
Rs. 20720
ROUTER
Cisco Linksys E900 Wireless-N300 Router
Rs. 2549
GRAPHICS CARD
Leadtek NVIDIA Quadro K6000 12 GB DDR5 Graphi...
Rs. 384900
Corsair CMPSU-1200 AXUK 1200 Watts PSU
PSU
Corsair CMPSU-1200 AXUK 1200 Watts PSU
INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE
Asus Blu-ray BW-12B1ST Internal Optical Drive...
Rs. 7990
INTERNAL HARD DRIVE
Intel S3700 Series 800 GB Desktop::Laptop Int...
Rs. 125250
PROCESSOR
Intel 3.6 GHz LGA 2011 i7 4960X 4th Generatio...
Rs. 77000
COOLER
Cooler Master Eisberg 240L Prestige Cooler
Rs. 14899
HEADPHONE
Sennheiser HD 800 Wired Headphones (Silver, O...
Rs. 90249
Delivered in 14-15 business days.
MOUSE
Razer Ouroboros Elite Ambidextrous Gaming Mou...
Rs. 10150
Creative SB1510 PCI Express Internal Sound Ca...
Rs. 31000
Roccat Alumic Hardpad Mousepad
MOUSEPAD
Roccat Alumic Hardpad Mousepad
Rs. 3300
Logitech G19s Hi-speed USB Keyboard
KEYBOARD
Logitech G19s Hi-speed USB Keyboard
Rs. 15425
COOLER
Cooler Master Cosmos SE Full Tower Cabinet
Rs.13674

Total-16026.000 US Dollar
February 7, 2014 11:27:54 AM

Gentlemen?

I realized after writing that this is a response to a post of 2012. Rather than delete, since Adobe CS is still current, it may give someone some ideas >

In my view, the best system for Adobe CS will use an LGA2011 CPU, which has double the bandwidth of the quad core i7's, offers more memory and almost double the PCIe lanes. If there is not a lot of large rendering, a quad core with a higher clock speed is sufficient. The Xeon E5-1620 V2 has a high clock speed and overall, very good cost /performance ratio. Also, to allow 10-bit color and error correction, a Xeon > ECC RAM > Quadro (Adobe CS is CUDA accelerated) has advantages in precision, and future expandability. The graphics card does not have to be a screamer in 3D, but have 2GB memory and error correction to prevent artifacts accurate shadows, fluids, reflections, particles, and etc. The following has an option for an ASUS X79 motherboard- very high quality and very fast or a somewhat less expensive ASRock. Note that there is a 250GB SSD for OS .applications and scratch disk, and a separate 2TB mech'l drive for storage, archive, and system image. On my system I have an 8GB partition on the SSD for my active working files that I then move to a 1TB mech'l drive when finished. Windows 7 Professional is included in the total.

BambiBoom PixelDozer Photomodagrapharific Blazomatic iWorkarama TurboScream 9000 ™$#©™_2.7.14

1. Intel Xeon Quad-Core Processor E5-1620 v2 3.7GHz 0GT/s 10MB LGA 2011 CPU, OEM> $295 (Superbiz) (Passmark CPU score= 9199, rank = No. 38)

2. CORSAIR Hydro Series H50 Quiet Edition Water / Liquid CPU Cooler. 120mm > $60

3. ASUS P9X79 WS LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 SSI CEB Intel Motherboard > $380

3A. OPT'L > ASRock X79 Extreme3 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $199.99

4. 16GB (2X 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 ECC Unbuffered Server Memory >about $150. (Check motherboard compatibility list)

5. NVIDIA Quadro K2000 VCQK2000-PB 2GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Workstation Video Card $420.

6. SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB SATA 6Gb/s MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) > $160

7. Western Digital Black WD2003FZEX 2TB 7200RPM SATA3/SATA 6.0 GB/s 64MB Hard Drive (3.5 inch) ) > $156

8. SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold ((SS-650KM Active PFC F3) 650W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply $120.

9. LIAN LI PC-7HX Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $100.

10 ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM $17.

11. Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (Full Version) - OEM $140

TOTAL = $1,998
TOTAL = $1,817 with ASrock MB

Cheers,

BambiBoom

!