Help! Chaintech MB CT-6BTM upgrade to Celeron 800

CaptainSteve

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2002
Hallo, my english is not very good, please excuse me when I make some misstakes in the spelling of the words.
Normaly I speak mostly in German language.

Well I have a Chaintech 6BTM motherboard with intelchipset BX440. At the moment my Computer is runnig with a Intel Celeron 300A at 450 Mhz. It is a Socket 370 on Slot1. Now I need your help. I have here on my desktop lies a Intel Celeron (Coppermine) with 800 Mhz, with Socket 370 Card for Slot1 and Cooling device. Now I want this Processor build on my Board without chance out my motherboard. I have tested to run the Processor in my Computer. But the system wouldn´t run up. all devices have energiesupply and are working. the system absolutly would not boot, the screen is keeping blank totaly black screen no chars on it to see.

Please help me.

Greetins Steve

Your motherboard does not support voltages below 1.8 or 1.85 volts for the cpu.

Now you will need a socket 370 adaptor vith adjustable voltage jumpers. OR you will need to connect a pin or two on your processor socket to achieve higher detected voltage .

I aint signing nothing!!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That depends on the standard voltage of your CPU. If it was retail boxed it will say the voltage on the box, otherwize you'll have to look at the lable on the CPU. Also, some early Slot 1 adapters were NOT Coppermine compatable, while later ones often used a switch. If it is switchable, it needs to be set to the PIII position or "Coppermine". If it is one of those early versions, it needs to be modified to make it work, TOM did an article on this about two years ago that is still in the archives.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
Also needs probably a latest BIOS upgrade?
Not sure about the particular Chaintech 6BTM i440BX motherboard though.
What I know, a newer Aopen MX3W Pro-V mobo (FCPGA2@1.75 i810) wouldn’t start up with a Celeron 800 and above, until BIOS upgrade.

CaptainSteve

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2002
At this link you will see this processor which I have here now at this link:
<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1</A>

My board in my Computer you will see at this link: <A HREF="http://WWW.Chaintech.de/PRODUKTI/mainboar/slot1/6BTM.htm" target="_new">http://WWW.Chaintech.de/PRODUKTI/mainboar/slot1/6BTM.htm</A>

The card for Slot1 which I have, have got 6 Jumpers to set divers settings. Here is an overview:

|JP1: |A,B |My current setting:
|1-2 |Coppermine | X
|2-3 |Celeron |

|JP2:(CPU) |current setting:
|1-2 |auto | X
|2-3 |over-clk |

|CPU |JP3 |JP4 |current setting:
|Intel |1-2 |1-2 | X
|Cyrix |2-3 |2-3 |

|CPU MODE |JP2 |current setting:
|single CPU |1-2 | X
|Dual CPU |2-3 |

The number on the Card is: 370SPC Rev:1.0

SN: 000733033442

on the backside: J-3 M-V0 0005 but don´t know what this is.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The latest 3 BIOS files for that board support Coppermine CPU's. It also says "Please dont' use them" on the website, probably do to voltage issues. You can fix that, by either getting a slot converter with onboard voltage controll, or jumping a couple pins on your CPU. You want to raise the detected voltage to at least 1.80v or 1.85v so that the BIOS will detect the CPU to be within range of the motherboard's VRM. Tell me what voltage your CPU is and I can tell you which CPU pins to jump on the converter.

CaptainSteve

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2002
Okay the needed voltages are:

Core voltage (Vcore): 1.70 Volt
I/O voltage: 3.30 Volt

These are exactly the values which are standing on my processor and on the linked page here: <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1</A>

I hope now you can explain me which of the pin I must connect. But one you must say me, too. I don´t know exactly how or with what things I could connect these pins on the processor. I´m no profi in these Themes.

The newest BIOS-Update I had installed allready.

Thank you.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Go to <A HREF="http://www.intel.com/design/celeron/datashts/243658.htm" target="_new">http://www.intel.com/design/celeron/datashts/243658.htm</A>, pick a download site, and read this document. On page 20 you'll see the voltage spec for all voltages from 1.30 to 2.1. Then go to page 81 to see the corresponding pin locations. Now, remember that the pin view is a mirror image of the socket view.

There are two VSS pins located near Vid 1;

1) If you bend the wire into a square U with the proper spacing, it should drop into the pin holes and be clamped in place by the lever that clamps the CPU in place, after you install the CPU on top of it. Just remember that when you look at the pin diagram, the socket holes (pins facing downward) are flipped left to right from that pin diagram, because the CPU is upside down (pins facing upward) in the diagram.

2) The other wire method is to wrap a piece of thin wire around the CPU pins, twist it tight, and cut off the excess. This is far more tedious and gives the same result.

Just remember that when you look at the pin diagram, the socket holes (pins facing downward) are flipped left to right from that pin diagram, because the CPU is upside down (pins facing upward) in the diagram.

According to the chart, wiring in VID1 with a 1.70v processor will provide you with 1.80v, which I believe is the least amount your motherboard can provide. If it works at 1.80v, that's well enough. If not, going up to 1.85v would require both VID1 and VID0 to be connected to VSS. But 1.90v would only require 1 pin to be connected, VID2. These things are safe to over 2.0v, so if 1.80v doesn't work for your board, 1.90v would be the next I'd try.

Another method I've used before is to make a solder bridge on the back of the slotket converter, from point to point. This is also a tedious process. And using this method, the slotket pins are in the same orientation as the CPU pins in the chart, because the slotket is now upside down just like the CPU is in the illustration.

CaptainSteve

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2002
Thank you very much. This last post have fixed my problem. Now my new processor runs with 1.8 Volts.

But only one question have I at the moment. What would happen when I go up with the VCore to 1.9 Volts or even to 2.0 Volts? It´s only a question by the way. I would like to know it only of my interest.

Now I be happy, because the new processor runs finally.

CaptainSteve

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2002
But a higher Voltage would avoid a better cooling for the processor. Or is that wrong? I know if I overclock, I maybe must care for a better cooling. But only maybe, it could be enough cool by the old cooling device. I be always open for good advices for computers.

Thank you.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Generally speaking, higher voltage increases temperature slightly, while higher clock speeds increase the temperature by a much greater amount. Your CPU should be able to use the 112MHz "turbo" bus frequency with your current 1.80v setting.

CaptainSteve

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2002
Okay, that´s enough already for now. If I would have any more questions by time, I would ask you again. It´s good to know where I can go to find some help.

I´ve said this once, but I can´t say it enoungh. Again thank you very very much.

CaptainSteve

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2002
Supplement:

Hallo,

I´ve testet higher Vcore for my Processor.
The result: 1.80 Volt system runs stabil
1.85 Volt system runs stabil
1.90 Volt no support, system don´t run up
1.95 Volt no support, system don´t run up

Greetings by Steve

CaptainSteve

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2002
yes it is so okay. I´ve set it on 1.85 Volt and this is a good setting. I had only made a test, if the processor would run, when I set higher Voltages.

Thanks. This is an good place to find good helpful advices and solutions.