Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
October 16, 2012 5:37:20 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: this week

Budget Range: 300-500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Streaming to home theater and watching movies

Are you buying a monitor: No - will be attached to 1080 p Panasonic plasma

Parts to Upgrade: all new

Do you need to buy OS: Yes - planning on Windows 7

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: n/a

Parts Preferences: Looked like the AMD Trinity is best value for this purpose

Overclocking: Not planned

SLI or Crossfire: Not planned

Your Monitor Resolution: 1080 p plasma

Additional Comments: should be quiet

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: first step in maybe cutting cable cord

Here is the parts list I have put together.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kv70

CPU: AMD A8-5600K 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A75 Pro4-M Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($81.97 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.88 @ NCIX US)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone ML03B HTPC Case ($59.98 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 380W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($49.98 @ Newegg)

Total: $431.79 (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Thanks for any comments.

More about : build htpc parts list

October 16, 2012 5:57:36 PM

I have the Silverstone GD05B and it's really excellent and if you can squeeze that into your budget that will allow for more options including full ATX power supply, mATX motherboards and has room for 10" GPUs (barely - not that you will ever use one :lol:  ).
m
l

Best solution

October 16, 2012 6:18:43 PM

Looks good, I'd be tempted to get a CPU cooler for the sake of quietness though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That's a good one that would fit in the case.

Also, it's just personal preference but I think HTPC's should be smaller than that. Obviously go for whatever you think is best but this is the sort of thing I would go for:

AMD A6-5400K - $74.99 (Newegg)
Kingston HyperX Blu 4GB (2 x 2GB) 1600Mhz - $23.49 (Newegg)
ASRock FM2A75M-DGS - $54.99 (Newegg)
Intel 330 Series 120GB - $96.99 (Newegg)
SilverStone LC19B-R w/ 120W Fanless PSU - $189.99 (Amazon)
SilverStone NT07-AM2 - $18.29 (Amazon)

$458 total

You take a slight hit in performance which you are (very) unlikely to notice but it produces less heat so should be a bit quieter and has a much nicer and much smaller case.

That's just my choice because I'd take quietness and looks/size over performance/expandibility in a HTPC.
Related resources
October 16, 2012 6:40:44 PM

Quote:

I will repeat this until I'm blue in the face - do not purchase an Intel drive!! There's zero support from them and they still use the crappy Sandforce 2.0 controller - there's far better SSDs you coudl go with for the same price.
m
l
October 16, 2012 7:14:58 PM

I've put that SSD in my mum's PC and it's fine. Although the controller isn't brilliant, Intel tend to use better quality NAND than OCZ/Corsair etc.

Has a 3 year warranty too. What you buy is up to you but I've never heard of anyone having bad experiences with Intel SSD's, even the Sandforce ones.
m
l
October 16, 2012 7:21:19 PM

I like JMSellers1's build (can't speak to the Intel SSD comment). The only reasons to go with more than a dual-core processor in an HTPC are:

1) You also intend to game on your big screen TV/monitor.
2) You have an internal TV Tuner card or cards and want to allocate tuners to other systems on a network.
3) Some other CPU Thread intensive background process.

HTPC case preferences are based primarily on three criteria (in order):

1) Compatibility - All of your components need to physically fit within the case
2) Cooling - The case must include or allow for the addition of a sufficient number of cooling fans and a clear air flow path.
3) Aesthetics - Should sync up with the other components you have.

Obviously, that last point isn't nearly as important as the first two, but still a consideration. People come to my apartment and they see a box that seems to fit into the scheme of things, but they have no idea what it is, nor do they understand why I can get cable premium channels without a cable set top box.

-Wolf sends
m
l
October 16, 2012 8:14:45 PM

Quote:
Yeah i also own a 330 what makes you say that?

The one I had was causing blue screens left and right - finally after updating the two year old firmware (which still has yet to receive a proper update), it still worked - barely - after heavy use. Every time I started up my PC I didn't know what I was going to get - and wound up running system restore a rather large number of times until I gave up and replaced it with a Samsung 830. Been problem free ever since.
m
l
October 17, 2012 6:18:29 PM

Thanks for everyone's comments.

This morning Newegg had the processor, the ssd drive, and the Antec 430 on a discount/mail in rebate, so I ordered all this am. I also ordered the CPU cooler. The additional $$ for the larger case seemed a little too much and it was back ordered at NCIX, so I stuck with the shorter cheaper model.

Here is the final part list.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kAaW

CPU: AMD A8-5600K 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($89.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master GeminII M4 58.4 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($33.94 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A75 Pro4-M Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($81.97 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.19 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone ML03B HTPC Case ($59.98 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $431.05

One last note, I also stayed with the quad core because if this works as a first step to dumping the cable, I might need to add a TV tuner to distribute over my network.

Again, thanks. Hopefully the actual build process will not be too stressful. The comments on the cooler seemed to be that you have to go slow and be careful.

m
l
October 17, 2012 6:45:25 PM

Best answer selected by rgbirinyi.
m
l
October 18, 2012 5:29:05 AM

g-unit1111 said:
Quote:

I will repeat this until I'm blue in the face - do not purchase an Intel drive!! There's zero support from them and they still use the crappy Sandforce 2.0 controller - there's far better SSDs you coudl go with for the same price.

I dont know why you hate intel and sand force so much. But one should be just & fair. Just shouting without giving evidence or proof wont help. I see that your experience with Intel & sand force controller seems to be purely made up - because intel 320 does not use sandforce. This means either you dont have the Intel drive or you are just faking or you are a marketing junkie for marvel?
m
l
!