Sign in with
Your question

PC Freezing/restarting even after windows reformat -help-

Last response: in Systems
October 16, 2012 5:37:44 PM

Hello, recently my PC that I built about 8 months ago started freezing on me.. It will lock up 30 to 40 mins after being on and locks up during gameplay, web surfing and will lock up even if left idle.
I reformatted windows 7 64bit and the lockup still occurs so im assuming its a hardware issue? Ive tried running chkdsk and the memory test provided by windows 7 and both came up with nothing wrong.
Im still a super noob when it comes to computers but I came to these forums for help when building my PC and got great feedback, hoping i can find some help, thanks.

My specs are:
O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500k, 3400 MHz (34x100)
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
RAM: Corsair vengeance LP (2x4GB) DDR3
PSU: Corsair AX850 Pro series Gold
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 570
HDD: M4-CT128M4SSD2
a b $ Windows 7
October 16, 2012 9:31:23 PM

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Firstly, have you checked your temperatures? hwmonitor, speccy, hwinfo to check.

Have you got the up-to-date drivers/firmware for your hardware, especially the m4?

To check ram I'd recommend to get memtest86 and run it from usb

Lastly, I believe either hwmonitor or speccy will show you the voltages for your cpu cores and gpu and ram. Check those against the stock specifications, the voltages should be within 5% of the specified value.

Oh and check the event viewer (type it into start menu) for any clues on critical errors with the time stamp that matches the time it hangs up.

Get back with the results, hopefully something not too serious.
!