Sign in with
Your question

FX 8120 bottleneck?

Last response: in CPUs
February 28, 2013 2:23:18 PM

Hi!

Is it possible that my FX 8120 is bottlenecking my 6870 HD card?
I've been having this problems for a while... my graph card almost never hitts 100%, in most games (v-sync off and eveyrthing)
There are moments when my graph card hitts 100% but most of the time its at 80% and choking.
So is it normal, or is my cpu not working right.

PS: As in most games i mean: Sleeping dogs, Blacklight Retribution, All point bulletin, TERA, Crysis 3 (wich might be reasonable)

More about : 8120 bottleneck

a b à CPUs
February 28, 2013 4:03:37 PM

The Bulldozer series by AMD was a big mistake. They made CPUs that performed worse than last generation phenom CPUs gaming wise. There is really nothing you can do but overclock it a little and see if it helps. :) 
a b à CPUs
March 1, 2013 4:59:40 AM

The 8120 certainly isn't bottlenecking the card, Its the games, Black light isn't vary GPU demanding, APB just isn't optimized right, and never will be, Crysis 3 if its anything like Crysis 2, then its going to be CPU heavy, Tho I get 80% usage on both my 5850s in Crysis 2. BF3 my cards are pegged at 100% along with Metro 2033. The 8120 wont perform as well as the previous Phenom's, but are now getting close with the FX-8350, but its not like its crazy slow. I run the Phenom II 1100T, and even at 3.3ghz it wont bottleneck on the games I play anyway like BF3, no change in FPS with 3.3 vs 4ghz on mine.

You can try to OC it, it should hit near 4ghz on stock voltage, but if your using the stock cooler, don't OC it past 3.5ghz. but watch TEMPS!

That being said, Play a game the can properly use the 6870, or play at a high res if your not already, like 1920x1080. All games will use the GPU/CPU differently, but I would say the the 8120 isn't bottlenecking.
Related resources
March 1, 2013 10:08:42 AM

Viking2121 said:
The 8120 certainly isn't bottlenecking the card, Its the games, Black light isn't vary GPU demanding, APB just isn't optimized right, and never will be, Crysis 3 if its anything like Crysis 2, then its going to be CPU heavy, Tho I get 80% usage on both my 5850s in Crysis 2. BF3 my cards are pegged at 100% along with Metro 2033. The 8120 wont perform as well as the previous Phenom's, but are now getting close with the FX-8350, but its not like its crazy slow. I run the Phenom II 1100T, and even at 3.3ghz it wont bottleneck on the games I play anyway like BF3, no change in FPS with 3.3 vs 4ghz on mine.

You can try to OC it, it should hit near 4ghz on stock voltage, but if your using the stock cooler, don't OC it past 3.5ghz. but watch TEMPS!

That being said, Play a game the can properly use the 6870, or play at a high res if your not already, like 1920x1080. All games will use the GPU/CPU differently, but I would say the the 8120 isn't bottlenecking.

I just ordered a better cooler, we'll see what happens when i OC it a little bit
a b à CPUs
March 1, 2013 12:05:42 PM

lostgamer_03 said:
The Bulldozer series by AMD was a big mistake. They made CPUs that performed worse than last generation phenom CPUs gaming wise. There is really nothing you can do but overclock it a little and see if it helps. :) 

It wasn't a mistake, it's slow but in they next few years they should be able to get the same thing as Intel with more cores!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
a b à CPUs
March 1, 2013 2:43:29 PM

melikepie said:
It wasn't a mistake, it's slow but in they next few years they should be able to get the same thing as Intel with more cores!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How can't the Bulldozer series be a mistake? When gaming wise it was worse than last generation? It was a big mistake. And no, even in Crysis 3 where 8 CPU cores are supported it still doesn't make up for the bad performance. Even a FX 8350 overclocked to 4,7 GHz only gets the same performance as a stock i5-3570k in many situations.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1364211/pclab-more-crysis-3-...

FX 8120 has way lower clock speeds than FX 8350 AND the bulldozer architecture is 15% slower than piledriver at the same clock speed.

a b à CPUs
March 1, 2013 2:47:25 PM

Well, 15% performance improvement within 8 months of the release is still pretty good.
a b à CPUs
March 1, 2013 4:36:33 PM

melikepie said:
Well, 15% performance improvement within 8 months of the release is still pretty good.

I agree. If the performance increases by 15% every new release then AMD will catch up with Intel. Sadly I don't see that happening. It would be very unlikely. :) 
a b à CPUs
March 1, 2013 4:42:14 PM

Lets just see where Steamroller ends up. IMO AMD is really messing up with no 22nm yes, 32nm vs 22nm is completely unfair. Actually I would love to see NVIDIA vs 22nm :) .
March 1, 2013 7:22:50 PM

lostgamer_03 said:
I agree. If the performance increases by 15% every new release then AMD will catch up with Intel. Sadly I don't see that happening. It would be very unlikely. :) 

Though i've bumped in a few reviews lately i don't really see why people flame the bulldozer so much, it fairs pretty well against the i5/i7 as far as benchmark goes (...dont know whats causing my problem yet...)

check this out : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV2Voo5h3eU
a b à CPUs
March 1, 2013 8:09:23 PM

gogi said:
Though i've bumped in a few reviews lately i don't really see why people flame the bulldozer so much, it fairs pretty well against the i5/i7 as far as benchmark goes (...dont know whats causing my problem yet...)

check this out : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV2Voo5h3eU

Battlefield 3 single player isn't CPU demanding at all, that is why you see those numbers. :) 
a b à CPUs
March 1, 2013 8:21:50 PM

^+1
March 2, 2013 7:08:47 PM

Ok guys, i just got my new cooler (AC freezer xtreme rev. 2), OC'd it at 4.2GHz and games are running noticably smoother. So im guess my fx really does bottleneck me at stock speeds at certan situations.
!