Sign in with
Your question

Rate my first build

Last response: in Systems
October 16, 2012 6:52:33 PM

I have never done this before.

I am trying to build a Gaming/Audiophile computer, that is somewhat portable (i am in college and need it to survive the drives home, and a very dusty room) I plan on attaching it to a lg m2762d monitor, and high end headphones and speakers. (not sure whether thats relevant or not).

As of now, I would like to play borderlands and sky rim. Will also have a ton of music files in large file formats, and movies and tv shows.

Some things I like so far. Are these good?

Case: Corsair Vengeance Series C70

PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX850 (CMPSU-850AX) 850W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770

Graphics: EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2662-KR GeForce GTX 660 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Sound: HT | OMEGA Claro Halo XT PCI Interface Sound Card w/ a built-in HI-FI Headphone Amplifier

using Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) for the OS and to store game saves, programs that I often use.

Will these work? I do not know anything about cooling. Should I replace the fans the case comes with? Add more? Do i need a cpu cooler different than the one that comes with the cpu?

because I am completely new to this, I am scared of overclocking.

What memory, main HDD, optical, wifi adapter should I use? (I need a cd/dvd read write). I would like a 1TB drive.

I would like to play games with few issues for a few years. I

Thanks!

Spiritus

More about : rate build

October 16, 2012 6:55:19 PM

The sound card isn't needed and the Sabertooth is overrated and very expensive, and the thermal armor can actually trap heat underneath it. If you post your budget we can suggest a better system.
m
l
October 16, 2012 6:58:13 PM

Hi, thanks for the reply! My budget is $2000 ( i might be able to go a bit over if absolutely needed) . I plan to use this to play games with the xbox controllers for PC, also I am an audiophile. I want a sound card that can do 24/192.
m
l
Related resources
October 16, 2012 7:07:23 PM

spiritusraptor said:
Hi, thanks for the reply! My budget is $2000 ( i might be able to go a bit over if absolutely needed) . I plan to use this to play games with the xbox controllers for PC, also I am an audiophile. I want a sound card that can do 24/192.

I listen to a lot of music on my PC as well but I don't really know much about sound cards - all I ever use is the onboard audio. Unless you've got like a killer sound system - or you're recording audio - then you would need a sound card, but for a standard 2 channel / 5.1 channel setup - the onboard audio will handle all your needs.

I would get something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($57.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($192.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($449.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower Case ($139.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1511.72
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

With the difference you can definitely add a sound card if you want, you can also add a nice monitor and whatever else you need.
m
l
October 16, 2012 7:10:32 PM

Getting a cheaper motherboard and an i5 instead of an i7 (i7s generally aren't any better than i5s for gaming except maybe if you're doing BF3 MP and want 120FPS for a 120Hz display configuration) will let you have around $150-250 more budget for graphics, storage, and other things or simply saving the extra money.

Memory, most DDR3-1600-2133 2x4GB kits (for DDR3-1600, 9-9-9-24 timings or lower, for DDR3-18660, 10-10-10-27 timings or lower, for DDR-2133, 11-11-11-30 timings or lower) would be ideal. Memory performance generally doesn't have a big impact on gaming performance, so don't spend much more to get a faster kit. DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 2x4GB is more than enough and you should only go higher if the price is about the same. REmember, always 1.5v for DDR3 memory on modern systems.

I'm partial to Western digital's Caviar blue line for hard drives, but that's me.

For optical disk drives, I'd just get the cheapest or near the cheapest that suits your needs. For you, I'd just recommend a cheap DVD/CD burner.

I like to stick to some PCIe WiFi adapters, but I'm not exceptionally familiar with all of them and wouldn't make a recommendation on fear of giving bad advice there.
m
l
October 16, 2012 7:28:42 PM

Quote:
Ahh right on cue ;D

Excellent build on the whole, id make a few minor changes to it however

Seagate barracuda is faster and cheaper than the samsung spinpoint
Case is overkill, id stick with the 400r
Asrock extrem4 for the mobo all day
Much cheaper 7970s of equal performance can be found.
Id go with a HIVE or CAPstone for PSU, they are modular
Diversify where you buy from and save a TON of cash

lol, peel the stickers off of current Samsung drives and they have Seagate Barracuda written somewhere, if not on the stickers anyway. They're all just re-branded Seagate drivers these days.
m
l
October 16, 2012 8:00:57 PM

Wow guys thanks so much for the replys! a couple of things.

why the change in case? what is different between the 2 cases? I would like one with handles/one easy to move around.

as for the sound I have a very high end audio system all set for a computer. I need 24 bit/192 kHz for it to work.

With this build, Will I be able to swap out components when some new game comes out that I would like to play?

I already have a monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I do not play FPS on PC.

Anything else I should add or replace on this build?? or do I just save my money?
m
l
October 16, 2012 8:02:58 PM

Quote:
Ahh right on cue ;D

Excellent build on the whole, id make a few minor changes to it however

Seagate barracuda is faster and cheaper than the samsung spinpoint
Case is overkill, id stick with the 400r
Asrock extrem4 for the mobo all day
Much cheaper 7970s of equal performance can be found.
Id go with a HIVE or CAPstone for PSU, they are modular
Diversify where you buy from and save a TON of cash

The 500R I like the look of better than the 400R, plus it includes fans (even if they are obnoxiously poor Corsair build quality).

I'd recommend the Extreme 4, but if you've got the budget get Thunderbolt.

PSU - whatever, I'm in the minority when I don't like modular PSUs, I've had way too many fail on me.
m
l
October 16, 2012 8:11:44 PM

So maybe I could get a better motherboard? Why not the C70? ( i like the look and handles) Maybe replace the fans it comes with? Im researching modular v non modular psi right now.
m
l
October 16, 2012 8:16:48 PM

I do not know anything about over clocking. the idea scares me a bit. i only started using PC from mac a year ago.
m
l
October 16, 2012 8:23:01 PM

spiritusraptor said:
So maybe I could get a better motherboard? Why not the C70? ( i like the look and handles) Maybe replace the fans it comes with? Im researching modular v non modular psi right now.

The handles are kind of a gimmick, if you want to transport your PC properly get a carrying bag for it like this: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/15632/han-52/G-Vans_L...
m
l
October 16, 2012 8:30:13 PM

I just want to make sure Im not getting an overly large case. Other than that though, I just need to choose wifi and sound card, and a carrying bag like you suggested . thanks so much for your help!
m
l
October 16, 2012 8:32:17 PM

Also, I think I am going to go for a modular psu, as cables scare me. Will post build soon
m
l
October 16, 2012 9:02:38 PM

spiritusraptor said:
I do not know anything about over clocking. the idea scares me a bit. i only started using PC from mac a year ago.

It doesn't take a lot to learn how to overclock - it's a lot of trial and error. The problem is every system is different and will give you different results every time. You basically set your voltage to one level, your CPU multiplier to another, and your RAM multiplier to another and you're set.

Quote:
I just want to make sure Im not getting an overly large case. Other than that though, I just need to choose wifi and sound card, and a carrying bag like you suggested . thanks so much for your help!

The C70 is a full tower, the 500R is a mid tower. For Wifi adapter a lot of people will tell you to get the T Link, but Rosewill makes a similar adapter that's far superior build quality.

Quote:
Also, I think I am going to go for a modular psu, as cables scare me. Will post build soon

Nothing to be scared of - those cables will be routed behind your motherboard tray, you'll never see them. :lol: 
m
l
October 16, 2012 9:27:42 PM

do u know the name of the wifi adapter? c70 is an inch larger in both width and height(I'm not deadset on any case, just curious to learn).
m
l
October 16, 2012 9:30:25 PM

the question part of above post: is there a general size of full tower and a general size of mid?
m
l
October 16, 2012 9:35:50 PM

spiritusraptor said:
do u know the name of the wifi adapter? c70 is an inch larger in both width and height(I'm not deadset on any case, just curious to learn).

This is the one I just got: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And then the C70 vs. the 500R - if you want to get the C70 that's fine. Be sure to check the specs on it.
m
l
October 16, 2012 9:37:17 PM

what would be the specs to look for on c70/ any case. I realize my GPU is long so I read into that, but what else? ty
m
l
October 16, 2012 9:41:03 PM

spiritusraptor said:
what would be the specs to look for on c70/ any case. I realize my GPU is long so I read into that, but what else? ty

Interior dimensions, weight and height especially are very important. On most Corsair cases the interior dimensions aren't an issue but you never know. Here's the specs: http://www.corsair.com/us/pc-cases/vengeance-series-gam...
m
l
October 17, 2012 7:08:10 AM

that graphics card does not seem to be in stock anywhere. still being made?
m
l
October 17, 2012 7:34:51 PM

Ok, so I have decided that I will be building this in December. Should I be waiting on any parts to come out? Should I do windows 8? It definitely has to be a mid tower atx (have not chosen a case) . I will be playing mostly on an older 1080p lg monitor above. Once in a while I might be connecting to a samsung high end tv if possible, but that will be rare. Will i need to overclock the cpu to play skyrim without issues? I would rather not. I like what I hear about asus motherboards so I would like one of those. Would like thunderbolt. My impetus for doing this is to play sky rim on the lg monitor using lots of mods and cheats.

Im open to changing the hdd.
m
l
October 17, 2012 8:56:30 PM

spiritusraptor said:
Ok, so I have decided that I will be building this in December. Should I be waiting on any parts to come out? Should I do windows 8? It definitely has to be a mid tower atx (have not chosen a case) . I will be playing mostly on an older 1080p lg monitor above. Once in a while I might be connecting to a samsung high end tv if possible, but that will be rare. Will i need to overclock the cpu to play skyrim without issues? I would rather not. I like what I hear about asus motherboards so I would like one of those. Would like thunderbolt. My impetus for doing this is to play sky rim on the lg monitor using lots of mods and cheats.

Im open to changing the hdd.

I don't think anything new will be released between now and December - the next generation of CPUs won't be for another year at least (knowing how Intel runs things). And all of NVIDIA and AMD's products have been released - the "next" generations will just be rehashes of the current generation, with nothing brand new for another two years or so. Asus motherboards are good, but there's not one with Thunderbolt that's <$250. So you couldn't get one without sacrificing something and I never recommend that. You could get this for $40 more than what I recommended: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
October 17, 2012 8:58:29 PM

Ok, my main reason for the asus was that i read that gigabyte fail more often.
m
l
October 17, 2012 9:01:20 PM

spiritusraptor said:
Ok, my main reason for the asus was that i read that gigabyte fail more often.

There's no such thing as a perfect motherboard - if you know what you are doing then you can get them to work every time. The problem is there's just so much hardware out there that it's impossible to test everything. My last three boards have all been Gigabyte (one 990FX, one Z77, and one Z68), and they've all been working great with no issues.
m
l
October 17, 2012 9:07:03 PM

You can't get a board to work every time. Sometimes, there are hardware failures that can't really be fixed. I've noticed that Gigabyte has been slipping a little overall lately in that respect on several of their Z77 boards compared to their previous boards, but it really depends on the individual board more than it depends on the brand.
m
l
October 17, 2012 9:11:58 PM

maybe I will just pay for the asus. I also like their OC software from what I'm reading. Money really is not an issue, I just do not want to spend on parts I do not need for my intended purpose. Quality is key.
m
l
October 17, 2012 9:59:40 PM

I need thunderbolt because I have big storage plans for this one
m
l
October 17, 2012 10:04:54 PM

thoughts on this?: GIGABYTE 7 series motherboards feature an onboard mSATA slot allowing users to easily take advantage of advanced SSD-based technologies like Intel Smart Response and Intel Rapid Start. Mounting an affordable, low capacity mSATA SSD directly onto your motherboard can enhance your PC's performance with better overall desktop responsiveness, faster boot times and faster system resume from 'Suspend to Disk' and 'Standby' modes.

any benefits to doing the 128gb boot sad this way?
m
l
October 17, 2012 10:17:53 PM

mSATA can't compare to real-size SATA SSDs in both performance for the money and capacity for the money. mSATA slots aren't bad, but I don't see a good use for them. Those same technologies work even better with higher performance SATA 6Gb/s SSDs.
m
l
October 17, 2012 10:43:41 PM

ok so last components i guess are cooling and HDD. I have picked an ssd. Need 1 TB drive. i have had 2 laptop drives fail on me in the past 4 months (mac book pro -bane of my existence), so I would want one that has less of a chance of failing, whatever that means. Also, i might want to use shock mounts.
m
l
October 17, 2012 10:50:28 PM

cool thanks. That leaves cooling. IDK if I will be over clocking as I am a recent pc convert let alone a techie. Do i need to over clock to use this as i intend to ^ ?
m
l
October 19, 2012 5:09:39 AM

Ok, So I have decided I do not want a gigantic heatsink. Also, will this motherboard support the 2 USB 3.0 plugs on the front of the different cases I am looking at?
m
l
October 22, 2012 6:43:10 PM

You don't need to overclock if you don't want to, it's just something that you can do to get more performance out of what you have. If you don't feel comfortable with it, then I wouldn't recommend making extensive use of it.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f31600c9d8ga...
This is a good DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 2x4GB 1.5v memory kit.

That Gigabyte Z77 UP4 board has a USB 3.0 header, so it should support two front USB 3.0 ports.

For cooling, if you don't want a huge cooler, you could go for a small, cheap cooler, but remember that larger coolers tend to cooler better than smaller but otherwise similar coolers because of their greater surface area. Something that's not huge but are still at least half-decent might include the Cooler Master Hyper 212 and the Cooler Master Hyper TX3 as well as many other coolers that use 92mm fans.
m
l
October 22, 2012 6:49:05 PM

thanks blazothon, I recently changed the build a lot. What makes this RAM different from http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-memory-cml8gx3m2a1...

Also, a graphics card question, I am planning to stop playing console games and play them only on PC. What EVGA video card should I get, I have been recommended the GTX 670 FTW, but thats really expensive. I could afford it but can I still play skyrim and other games in 1080p on my monitor with lower cards?

my monitor: http://www.amazon.com/LG-M2762D-27-Inch-Widescreen-Moni...
m
l
October 22, 2012 7:00:58 PM

lorgox said:
thanks blazothon, I recently changed the build a lot. What makes this RAM different from http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-memory-cml8gx3m2a1...

Also, a graphics card question, I am planning to stop playing console games and play them only on PC. What EVGA video card should I get, I have been recommended the GTX 670 FTW, but thats really expensive. I could afford it but can I still play skyrim and other games in 1080p on my monitor with lower cards?

my monitor: http://www.amazon.com/LG-M2762D-27-Inch-Widescreen-Moni...

The kit that I suggested is slightly cheaper and looks different. AFAIK, those are the only major differences except that one might have slightly better cooling (which generally doesn't really matter with 1.5V memory kits anyway) than the other.

For 1080p, the cheapest that I'd go for you is a Radeon 7850 2GB and they can generally be found for $180-200. A Radeon 7870 is often only a little more expensive at $200-$220 for the cheapest model worth buying and is arguably a better buy because the difference in price by percentage between the cheapest 7850 worth buying and the cheapest 7870 worth buying is generally smaller than the performance difference.

For Nvidia, the GTX 660 generally competes very well with the Radeon 7870, so if you want a Nvidia card that is much cheaper than the 670 while still having good (although inferior) performance for most games in 1080p, then the GTX 660 is a great option.

Radeon 7850 2GB: $180 after $10 MIR from $190: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/his-video-card-h785qn2g2m
Radeon 7870: $210 after $20 MIR from $230: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-video-card-fx787acdfc
GTX 660: $225 after $10 MIR from $235: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-n660tf2gd5o...
m
l
!