Sign in with
Your question

5970 issue please help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 22, 2012 11:50:58 PM

my 5970 has been blacking out lately. It will just disconnect the display and rev up the stock fan on the card. Its annoying to

have to hold restart my computer everytime. Is there an issue with the card? or is it an overheating issue that can easily be fixed

with an aftermarket cooler?

p8z68 v/gen3
i5-2500k
radeon 5970
8gb 1600 RAM
GS 800 PSU

More about : 5970 issue

a c 1363 U Graphics card
August 22, 2012 11:51:33 PM

Without checking the temps on the card we do not know about overheating! Can be a faulty card.
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 22, 2012 11:55:50 PM

I'd suggest checking overheating with HWMonitor.
m
l
Related resources
a c 107 U Graphics card
August 23, 2012 12:17:03 AM

Maybe dust has built up in the cards heatsink. Get some compressed gas(Air duster) and push air in from both heatsink sides then from the fan side to each heatsink. Do this a few times is each direction

You will see right away in HWmon if you have a heat problem. If you do, chances are its just dust.

In some cases the heatsink shroud may need to be removed(most times this requires removal of the heatsink on ATI cards. I miss the days when the shroud was transparent) to clean the card if the dust has combined with hair and whatnot and formed a good blockage.
m
l
August 23, 2012 12:24:46 AM

rolli59 said:
Without checking the temps on the card we do not know about overheating! Can be a faulty card.

problem is ill be playing diablo III and all of a sudden it will disconnect. So i have no way of telling exactly what the temp is at that time. any suggestions?
m
l
August 23, 2012 12:25:18 AM

Sunius said:
I'd suggest checking overheating with HWMonitor.

Im downloading HWmon right now. How would I go about checking if its the over heating issue?
m
l
August 23, 2012 12:27:27 AM

nukemaster said:
Maybe dust has built up in the cards heatsink. Get some compressed gas(Air duster) and push air in from both heatsink sides then from the fan side to each heatsink. Do this a few times is each direction

You will see right away in HWmon if you have a heat problem. If you do, chances are its just dust.

In some cases the heatsink shroud may need to be removed(most times this requires removal of the heatsink on ATI cards. I miss the days when the shroud was transparent) to clean the card if the dust has combined with hair and whatnot and formed a good blockage.

Is it easy to take apart the 5970? new to building computers so I dont think id be the best person to do anything surgeon like on the card lol but i can handle the moderate difficulty.
m
l
a c 1363 U Graphics card
August 23, 2012 12:27:30 AM

If temp is starting to get into the 90's C then it is! A quick check on dust (as suggested above) is the first thing I would do.
m
l
a c 1363 U Graphics card
August 23, 2012 12:28:45 AM

With compressed air and a small brush I have always been able to clean my cards without disassembling them.
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 23, 2012 9:31:03 AM

^
Desktops need it too. Plus, it's not a laptop :p .
m
l
a c 107 U Graphics card
August 23, 2012 2:54:01 PM

I am recommending that laptops have easy to access heatsinks(like those on desktops. Laptops in many cases require fill dis dis-assemblies to clean). not that the OP is on a laptop(dual cards tend tot to be on one board for laptops) thus the comment further up about missing transparent fan/blower shrouds(something only on desktops as far as i know.)

You always see dust on this card :) 
http://www.techspot.com/articles-info/108/images/radeon...

Cleaning often on a desktop helps(more of the dust leaves). laptops with the blowers hidden and no actual intake vent at the blower are another story, the dust just gets pushed back into the laptop and gets sucked in again.
m
l
August 29, 2012 12:00:30 AM

So it seems that everything runs fine when I leave the side panel open. When closed I have the issue again. But this time the display wasn't disconnected. I've clean the entire system including the graphic card.

What now
m
l
a c 107 U Graphics card
August 29, 2012 1:43:13 AM

Well that sounds like heat, I would try to increase the fan speed with CCC or even MSI afterburner.

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

Worst part is the card should be able to manage its own fan.

So either try to give it more speed or find a way to increase airflow within the case.
m
l
August 31, 2012 8:40:53 PM

Well its not the fan anymore. I'll start up the computer and within 5 minute of loses connection and kicks up the fan. It has no time to heat up to the point of over heating so I'm lost
m
l
a c 107 U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 1:16:22 AM

What happens if you leave the computer idle at the bios screen. does the same thing happen? Without power management, it will heat up even faster.

Something has to be happening here.
m
l
September 16, 2012 12:22:52 AM

I had the same problem it turned out to be a faulty psu.
m
l
!