AMD Radeon 7850 - Driver Update caused black border when booting up

godzillafan868

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
Everytime I turn my computer on I get a black 3/4" border around my screen. It looks like this below:
2012-08-22_1903.png

The black border is there when Windows starts up, the login screen, and stays there for about 5-10mins. while I'm on my Desktop then it randomly goes away. It's annoying because it distorts everything while its doing this, and it didn't used to do this before the update. I check for updates every few days to see if there's a fix and so far no updates for the driver.

I have also messed with the under/overscan options. Below are my current settings.
Below is a picture of my Catalyst Control Center and my underscan settings:
2012-08-22_1900.png

I've been googling for ideas on this, and what a driver update could have done from doing this everytime, but its annoying.
Most the articles reference the under/overscan options or have no reply, which is why I'm coming to all of you Tom's Hardware members. This forum has been an encyclopedia of information on computer building and has been a god send so lets see if you all can help me! :D

godzillafan868

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
Forgot to add that my resolution is 1920 x 1080, which is my monitor's max resolution, and what its set in the settings. And it's hooked up via HDMI to the monitor from the graphics card. I'll check the box now and reboot to try it.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Updating drivers myself i needed to adjust the overscan slider. All is good though, had to have mine about in the middle.

Before updating, all i had to do was set the tv's own scaling option to have full screen.

Have you tried looking for scaling in the tv menu godzilla?

godzillafan868

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
There's no settings for any of that on my monitor, maybe when I use something thats not HDMI I can, but right now I can't.

As for the slider, in the middle it has borders on the screen whenever I move it. I see the borders because after they disappear and I go play with it it brings the bars back so I know that can't be involved.

And Scout, I don't know what you're saying. I couldn't find any of those options, but my desktop resolution is 1080p and I never heard of Desktop Management.

godzillafan868

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012

Just tried it, and I rebooted and still have the black borders. It gave me some home at first, when I saw the settings change for each refresh rate, but then it didn't fix itself on booting back up.

And now the black borders just disappeared. They disappear when Catalyst Control Center starts to run, which is weird?

godzillafan868

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012

That's not normal operation since it wasn't doing this before the update. If this was how its supposed to work then this would be a "feature" of black borders, and I know thats not a "feature". Sorry for the snarkyness it's been frustrating me for awhile, and the new/most recent AMD update fixed it. I'm guessing it was a bug because now its working fine and I tweaked no settings whatsoever after the update. I actually went back to default and just moved the overscan slider to 0% and it works just fine still :)

jord2438

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012
Looks like you got it figured out, but I just thought I would say that I have a 7850 and I had a similar problem when using an HDMI connection. The overscan in CCC would fix it for me but I would have to do it every time I rebooted. But when I use the DVI connection, the resolution automatically fills the screen.

godzillafan868

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
I can't use DVI because I use HDMI for Audio + Video display. And that's what I had to do when I booted up was change it every time, and I didn't consider that a permanent solution because how does it go from not requiring that to requiring that extra work for no reason? That's what shocked me the most... was that an update caused it.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
no offense taken. Glad you got it sorted and found the route of the problem. I'll keep it in mind also.

Just one other thing, do you check the monitor hz setting after updating drivers? Probably has nothing to do with it but in the past for me, I’ve seen updating previous drivers has set to 50hz after installing which was a bit odd, was able to change it back to 60 though.

Just a thought.