Is there a tv card than can.....

G

Is there a tv card that will let me record tv like a vrc or tivo? What I mean is a feature that will allow me to record tv shows using a timer or record the same show every night at a certain time. The couple of tv cards I have seen only let you record by pushing start and stop.
Thanks

G

Couple of things I forgot to add. I kinda want it to be a seperate tv card, so that leaves the AIW out. And I hope it's around 100 dollars or less. The reason I want it to be a seperate card is because I want a kickass video card for 3d gaming and Im not sure if the AIW radeon 32mg can give me that. can it?

SSNTails

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2001
Yeah, I've got a miro DC20, and I've been looking for a recording program, and one that will break the 2gb file limit (split it into multiple files when it hits 2gb).

G

Well, I got bad news for you. Your needs were almost the same as mine, but you won't get a bundle for your needs. I needed near-zero 3D acceleration, and I needed only the PVR (personal video recorder, I think) functions.

The bad news? AIW has ZEE BEST encoder output quality out there, even better than hardware-encoders 10 times its cost. It's a monopoly, yes. ATI is not abt to let you have their top-notch encoding technology without asking for your patronage of their GPU endeavors.

If you want to spend as little as possible on the 3D-accel side for AIW, you can try AIW 128. But I would advise against it. AIW Radeon has got Dolby Digital Audio support, but not AIW 128. Plus many other MODERN DAY home-entertainment "necessities" that you don't want to miss out. I got no time to put it all down here.

Plus, Radeon chip isn't un-kickass. It's probably coming within 5-10% of GF2 GTS speed (or less difference, with today's drivers), BUT with much better quality (look for screenshots and compare!). Look closely at the speed numbers (fps) and ask yourself why you would EVER need anything more than 60fps? 30fps is smooth, while 60fps gives some leeway for ocassional bog-downs (so that it won't go below 30fps ocassionally).

Check my "Hardware Requirements for AIW Radeon" post. Unbelieveable recording quality, I tell you. VHS never came close. NEVER!

regards
jon

G

So are you saying that there isn't a stand alone tv card with personal video recorder functions? (record on a timer and/or record the same show every night)

G

There is ATI's TV-Wonder that records in Mpeg1, not Mpeg2. But believe me, Mpeg1's quality isn't nearly as good. Mpeg2 combines both quality and low bitrate, but needs strong CPU horsepower. You would rather go for AVI's quality, rather than Mpeg1.

As for AVIs, you might consider buying tons of HDD space (100+GB RAID arrays) for raw AVI capture...
That means you'll have to buy fast HDDs, not just truly "Inexpensive Disks" to make up your RAID array. I did some maths on this b4, but I can't remember the exact figure. Something along several thousands of dollars to get the same recording length. Note that raw AVI is abt 20 times larger than Mpeg2 top-notch quality files. That means you'll have to buy 20 HDDs to get equivalent recording length with Mpeg2. A typical 40GB is US$100. That gives you like 10hrs of 8Mbit/s (top-notch Mpeg2) recording (assuming you need 5GB for Win2k + ATI software + drivers installation, actually I used only 1GB). Buying 20 HDDs for raw AVI will mean US$2000. And that's just HDDs alone!

I've calculated a rough US$520 for a "set-top-like" PVR setup with AIW Radeon. Look at my hardware requirements for AIW Radeon post for the basic requirements. At US$520, you can have at least 10 hours of top-notch recording at ONE GO. Quality is far ahead of VHS. Compare this to the US$2000 for AVI capture. Toss in a fast CD-writer and a bundle of rewriteables, you've got yourself a "greater than VHS" setup with virtually-non-degradable "VHS tapes" (CD-RW)!

Going with PVRs, you don't get to pay for expensive VHS tape replacements. VHS tapes typically start to degrade (in recording quality) after merely 5-6 passes. Your HDD holds digital data of your recordings --- zero degradation.

Go for real-time Mpeg2 encoders. Avoid real-time Mpeg1 encoders unless you don't care abt actors' acting skills. With Mpeg1, you can hardly tell whether the characters are smiling, crying, whining, etc. Yeah, it's THAT kinda quality. :)

Note that professional VCDs (like original movies VCDs) are done by OFFLINE encoding of raw AVIs (uncompressed quality without any losses). Still, the professional VCDs show motion jerks and blocky artifacts, I'm sure you noticed if you watched enuf VCDs.

OFFLINE encoding is not what you want, becos you want to record without human intervention. ONLINE encoding will let your PC record TV shows PLUS encode into "small" Mpeg2 files onto your HDD, all without your intervention. OFFLINE encoding means you buy $2000 worth of HDD, record with AIW in AVIs (or any other AVI capture devices), then intervene by starting offline encoding to compress the recorded AVIs into more manageable Mpeg2s.

By the way, the $2000 estimation is way too low. Unusually large HDDs cost more per GB than common sizes like 40GB. On other hand, if you buy 20 x 40GB HDDs, you have a problem hunting for a chassis (RAID controller and such) to support that LARGE number of HDDs. The sheer amount of HDD means you're looking at a very cost-INeffective solution, giving you very UNCOMMON costs. :)

Last note:
I'm currently using my fastest PC (1.4Ghz T-bird) to do the recording. In time to come (1 year at most), my 1.4Ghz T-bird will become the slowest PC I own, which I will delegate as a dedicated system for PVR functions. In short, buying the AIW gives you "future proof" investment. As CPUs get faster, your AIW simply works better! Currently, I record shows on my 1.4Ghz T-bird without dropped frames at "max quality". But if I start clicking on windows here and there, the 92%CPU-usage over-revs to over 100%, and AIW starts dropping frames. With a 3Ghz Athlon, I should actually be able to record shows in "background" while typing this post to you! :)

A year ago, the AIW capture boards were THE WORST investments becos there wasn't any 1.4Ghz CPUs yet (or none that are affordable). Today, the AIW boards are seeing much use in faster CPUs. Like I said b4, ATI knows this, and boy are they squeezing us for it. It's a monopoly so far. In terms of real-time Mpeg2 capture quality, nothing else comes close to AIW's integration of GoMotion. Not even DC1000 (US$1200). Except that DC1000 is hardware-encoding, and doesn't rely on your CPU horsepower...

regards
jon

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
If you want to have the features of the AIW and want to use a fast Graphics card, you can rob the bank and buy a Radeon 8500 AIW-D card, or buy the AIW Radeon, for about half the price. You can also get the card in a PCI form, and use another card as the Primary, but for most games, The AIW Radeon should do very well. Also, if you want to catelog shows you tape, you can read about Mpeg 4 conversion, which will fit about 1 hr of video on one CD, the majic of this is that the player is portable, and can be played on any computer with a CD Rom drive. For more on Mpeg 4, you can go to <A HREF="http://www4.tomshardware.com/video/01q4/011022/index.html" target="_new">Tom's Link</A> Or go to <A HREF="http://www.rage3d.com/" target="_new">rage3d.com</A> There you can go to the forum and find more about vidoe capturing in the AIW/VIVO Forum.

If it works for you then don't fix it.