Sign in with
Your question

Router for high coverage and 100mbps (low transfer)?

Last response: in Networking
October 8, 2011 3:38:13 PM

I used to own a Linksys WRT54GS.
The connection speed was not high enough for 30mbps downstream internet, and only received up to 22mbps(downstream). The computer at the end of the house received up to 22mbps (downstream).
The computer at the end of the house received very low signal with 0.2~0.8mbps downstream (12mbps TX rate).

I went to go buy a Wireless N router, explained that I wanted a high coverage, but not very high transfer, because one of the laptop can only receive upto ~100mbps.
He told me to buy Netgear N300 (WNR300) and when I did, there was no difference in coverage, same 12mbps for one computer unless I moved the desktop right next to the router (120mbps TX rate).
With ~100mbps, I received full 30mbps downstream and I don't think 300mbps transfer was required (well he said there would be much better coverage improvement)...

Any good economy modem for maximum coverage?
100~300 mbps TX rate?

Also I want to mention that on Speedtest.net, I get steady 30mbps, and my friends get about 10mbps, but when we download a file from the same server (we live very closely nearby together), my friend gets 1.2Mb/s download, while I only get from 600-1.6Mb/s (usually below 1.2Mb/s used directly from modem ethernet to computer [without router]). Aren't my max download speed suppose to be 3.75 Mb/s?

What is the problem? I tried contacting Comcast, and they said my download speed is fine, because on speedtest.net, I am getting 30mbps.
October 9, 2011 10:48:52 AM

comcast is correct. you may be downloading form a bad server or have some otehr programs on your comp to slow it down. as for your wifi, try differnt channels, like 11 vs 1. also make sure your router/computer is using 100% power for wifi. wifi N is faster than G or B so yes you should get more coverage.

12MB is wifi B so perhaps your network cards are old? double check that.

all wifi is hindered by interference. if your house has lots of steel or thick walls then you are sol, go buy a spool of cat5 and run some wires to your desktops. or add a second wifi router further into the house.

you can check power output in device manger and properties of your wifi card. the rest needs to be checked by logging into y our router.
m
l
!