Graphics Card Compatibility

stroke

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
Hello,

I have this exact problem with a different ATI card and different computer:

(Pcie 2.1 5000 series ATI card in a Pcie 1.0 slot.)
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/285613-33-radeon-5770-displaying

I used to run a Nvidia Geforce 6600, it worked fine for what I used it for, for a long time. Mostly internet stuff and light gaming. A capacitor fried and I needed a replacement. My computer (Gateway GT4024, upgraded ram and 500w power supply) comes with an integrated ATI Express 200. I was a bit worried about compatibility with newer cards since it's so old, so I figured I'd make damn sure the card worked by getting a new ATI card to replace the Nvidia. I got a cheap Radeon 5450 Pcie 2.1 off Amazon. It doesn't work on my computer. I did test it on an even older computer, and the card actually does work. It just doesn't work on the computer that I want it to. I've done every update associated with my computer that I can find, and it's all no go. I can dig out all the specs on everything if anyone wants it, but unless someone has a solid solution, I completely give up on that card.

So my question: Will an Nvidia Pcie 2.0 card work? I've read that they are FULLY backwards compatible. I'd really prefer to not to get burned twice by the same issue twice though.

If anyone has doubts, I can just find an old 1.0 card. They're harder to find, and I'm not going to get as good of a selection. I'll do that if I have to. I'd prefer to get something "newer" if possible though.

stroke

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
So should I stick with something a little more dated like a Geforce 8400, or even a 210.. Or does it simply not matter as long as it's a 2.0 slot card? I realize that because it's the old 1.0 slot, I wouldn't be getting anywhere near the performance in some of the new cards. So if I can get something older that maximizes what I can work with, is it just as good?

stroke

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
Thanks for the info btw.

I'm looking around at prices and seeing that some of the higher end 200s are the same price as a low end 600s and the 9000s too. Anything to that?

stroke

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
I'm not locked in on any certain price really. I was completely fine with my old card. So I don't need anything great. It was more of a curiosity question about the pricing. There's say a 610 the same price as a 240. That's about 3 years difference. Is that erratic pricing, or are they actually comparable?

stroke

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
Yeah, I really didn't get that the series designation wasn't all that important. Like buying a fresh off the line Corolla vs a 3yo Lexus. Might be a new Corolla, but it's still a Corolla. It's sort of "buyer beware" on a lot of this stuff from what I've researched. Despite the specifications that are listed, there seems to be a lot of hit and miss with some of these cards. A lot of bad value for the dollar where actual performance is concerned. I noted that cards ending in "40" seem to be generally good for the price, albeit not anything spectacular. I actually did go with the 240. I probably don't even need anything that good, I'm really operating fine on the integrated card but I've been annoyed with the last one not working and just feel like I had unfinished business. Anyway, I've got to wait several days for the card to arrive. When I get it installed, I'll update on how it (hopefully) works. Once again, I really appreciate the help.

stroke

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
Update time

I got the card finally, noticed right away that it would not fit into my computer. My patience thin and the last I was willing to deal with this entire process: I removed a piece of aesthetic plastic, which was just enough to get it in there.

Installed the card. Boot up - No screen. Just before I ripped my hair out and threw my computer out a window.. I noticed the fan on the card was going all out, but the hard drive was making a bit of an odd cycling sound. I unplugged my CD drives and started again. The cycling sound stopped, but still no screen. Call it a hunch on a last ditch effort, I unplugged the fan on the card. Boot up - Screen comes on... Ripped the new 500w power supply out, put in my old one, that I assumed was not good enough because it says 300w and came out of some junk computer when my original one burned up. Power On - Screen On. Plugged the fan on the card back in. Power On - Screen On. With some light use, I noticed the hard drive was a tad loud again, not cycling like before, but maybe like it was struggling on the low power. I went and found an old Compaq I had laying around, pulled the 500w power supply out of it, installed, and it's running fine. No funny sounds, everything seems nice and cool. Ran Skyrim for about 20min, looked good. My old GC couldn't handle that game very well. Note: I did try the ATI 5450 again (Which I see sucks, on that list posted.), it continued to not work. So I had two problems, I guess.

Don't really know what to say about the power supply that failed to work. It's sturdy construction, has a big but very quiet fan. I can list out the specs of the junk ones that worked and the new one that didn't if anyone is curious for whatever reason. I see that the amps are different, higher and lower in different places, but I really don't know what that means. As long as this continues to work though, I really don't care.