Solved

MSI Mpower Build any suggestions?

Hi all, here is a MSI M Power build I put together, and would like your opinions or suggestions on if its worth it or if there are better options out there.
MSI MPower Build


2 MSI N680GTX Lightning GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
2 MSI Z77 MPOWER Optimized DDR3 2400 8GB Kit (2 x 4GB) Dual Channel 240-pin (PC3 19200)
1 Corsair Vengeance Series C70 Gunmetal Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
1 KINGWIN Model PCI-02 12" EPS 12V 8-Pin Power Extension Cable F-M
1 MSI Z77 MPOWER Motherboard
1 XFX ProSeries P1-1000-BELX 1000W PSU
1 Intel Core i7-3770K
2 OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-128G 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
1 ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
1 CORSAIR H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
8 COUGAR CF-V12HPB Vortex fans
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about mpower build suggestions
  1. What is MSI M Power? Is it like something off of their webiste?

    I hope this isnt setting you back that much. Its kinda overkill for today's games.
  2. ^^^ +1. If this was prebuilt, it is too overkill.
  3. Best answer
    Well... The msi gfx cards are screwed right now (Something with the cards being super-charged), so I would stay away from their gfx cards. (Bad grammar) You don't need a i7 unless your video editing, keep in mind an ssd will die eventually. Get a good hdd, like western digital. The speed or the voltage of the ram will void your cpu warranty, and you only need 16 gigs if you're video editing. 8 fans. Oh my god. The fans that come with the case are fine. A single 680 is sort of overkill. You don't need 2. This is extremely overkill.
  4. Deemo13 said:
    What is MSI M Power? Is it like something off of their webiste?

    I hope this isnt setting you back that much. Its kinda overkill for today's games.


    MSI M Power is there Overclocked certified Z77 chipset motherboard.
  5. CheesyHotDogPuff said:
    Well... The msi gfx cards are screwed right now (Something with the cards being super-charged), so I would stay away from their gfx cards. (Bad grammar) You don't need a i7 unless your video editing, keep in mind an ssd will die eventually. Get a good hdd, like western digital. The speed or the voltage of the ram will void your cpu warranty, and you only need 16 gigs if you're video editing. 8 fans. Oh my god. The fans that come with the case are fine. A single 680 is sort of overkill. You don't need 2. This is extremely overkill.


    Thanks for the info, that will definitely cut the cost overall.
  6. Let me just tell you all the things that need changing.
    1) Get one 670.
    2) 2400 RAM will damage your CPU. Get 1600 and 8GB.
    3) Get a 650w PSU.
    4) Get an i5-3570K.
    5) Get the Noctua D14 CPU cooler.
    6) Less fans. 8 fans will sound like a jet. 4 is generally enough.
  7. Update for my build.

    1 Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge
    1 MSI N680GTX Lightning GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0
    1 MSI Z77 MPOWER Optimized DDR3 1600 8GB Kit
    1 CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W
    1 Corsair Vengeance Series C70 Gunmetal Black Case
    1 KINGWIN Model PCI-02 12" EPS 12V 8-Pin Power Extension Cable F-M
    1 MSI Z77 MPOWER LGA 1155 Intel Z77
    2 OCZ Vertex 4 SSD Raid 0
    1 ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner
    1 CORSAIR Hydro Series H100
    4 COUGAR CF-V12HPB Vortex
  8. obsama1 said:
    Let me just tell you all the things that need changing.
    1) Get one 670.
    2) 2400 RAM will damage your CPU. Get 1600 and 8GB.
    3) Get a 650w PSU.
    4) Get an i5-3570K.
    5) Get the Noctua D14 CPU cooler.
    6) Less fans. 8 fans will sound like a jet. 4 is generally enough.



    Thanks for the info, the fans are probably a bit much but I heard these are really quiet and push alot of air. I will probably just get 4 but 8 is how many I could possibly install on my case.
  9. Some advice:
    Do not get the 680. The 670 offers the SAME performance for $100 less. I am not exaggerating.
    850w is still very overkill. 850w is only needed for SLI. Get 650w. That is more than enough.
    Do not get the H100. Nice cooler, but the high end air coolers beat it. You'd have to build your own custom watercooling loop to beat the Noctua D14, which is cheaper than the H100 and quiet.
    You're overpaying a bit on the RAM. You don't have to get that specific kit. You can find a good 8GB 1600 kit for $38.
  10. How's Mushkin Enhanced Radioactive 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600 for memory. and Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 GC 67NQH6DN6KXZ Video Card
  11. Mushkin is good.
  12. obsama1 said:
    Mushkin is good.



    How about EVGA 04G-P4-3673-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW+ 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16
  13. The 4GB is overkill. There are some 2GB and 3GB versions floating around.
  14. Anonymous said:
    How about EVGA 04G-P4-3673-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW+ 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16

    That card I say is one of the best 670's out there. If there's one problem I have with it, the evga 670 is HOT. Though if you can get past that, their costumer service is amazing. My friend's evga 670 didn't work, so they gave him a brand new one. If you want something less hot, I would get the gigabyte 670.

    EDIT: As for the ram, i would get some nice corsair or mushkin low profile ram. You don't need heat spreaders unless you plan on doing some serious overclocking.
  15. CheesyHotDogPuff said:
    That card I say is one of the best 670's out there. If there's one problem I have with it, the evga 670 is HOT. Though if you can get past that, their costumer service is amazing. My friend's evga 670 didn't work, so they gave him a brand new one. If you want something less hot, I would get the gigabyte 670.

    EDIT: As for the ram, i would get some nice corsair or mushkin low profile ram. You don't need heat spreaders unless you plan on doing some serious overclocking.


    How are galaxy Cards, worth looking into or go with another manufacturer.
  16. Best answer selected by Hazuzu.
  17. Anonymous said:
    How are galaxy Cards, worth looking into or go with another manufacturer.

    Sorry for late reply, the galaxy 670s are worst then the evgas with the same cooler, but less speed. If you need good oc headroom go with the gigabyte 670 - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125423 - They are pre overclocked and have great cooling. If you need a good mix of low noise and good performance go with the asus - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121637 They are great cards, but they are BIG, so make sure your case can hold them. Thanks for the best answer and have a nice day! If you need more help, send me a message.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems MSI-Microstar