Sign in with
Your question

NEED ADVICE ON NEW (1st) BUILD PLEASE! =)

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
October 16, 2012 10:42:58 PM

Okay, so this is my first build and I am semi-knowledgeable, meaning I will understand some of the lingo and try my best to take any good advice! The goal here is to make a computer I can play just about anything I want to with 50+ fps on ultimate settings, as well as be able to use it for everything else I want to do on it such as every day use (I wont be doing video or photo editing/rendering or anything like that). So here is what I have wrote down as my parts list so far on my original $600 budget that I see is closer to $800 and would like to (don't have to) get back to $700:

Intel Core i5 3570k processor ~ $205 ~ Amazon
Asrock z77 extreme4 motherboard ~ $110 ~ Amazon
1TB 3.5" internal hard drive ~ $50 ~ Ebay
Rosewill CHALLENGER black gaming ATX Mid Tower ~ $45 ~ Newegg
Kingston 1x8GB DDR3 1600 mhz PC3 12800 Ram ~ $45 ~ Ebay
SLI Nvidia Geforce 560 ti video cards ~ $200 ($100 ea) ~ from a friend who decided he wants to go 660's instead of using these
Wireless adapter (not sure which yet, suggestions?) ~ $20 ~ Amazon
LG DVD Writer ~ $20 ~ Newegg
Logitech Keyboard (already have a unifying logitech mouse) ~ $20 ~ Amazon
Power Supply (thinking 850w, but idk for sure and which one particularly, need advice) ~ $? ~ ?

P.S. I plan on overclocking the 3570k to its max potential (supposedly 4.9 ghz), as well as the graphics cards. Advice needed on this is if the case I have listed is sufficient cooling (check it out, has fans in it), if not then what else do i need, and cost and everything, need all suggestions and be specific please! Also accepting advice on anything you can think to add! thanks!

More about : advice 1st build

a b B Homebuilt system
October 16, 2012 11:34:20 PM

Swap your single 8GB RAM stick for 2x4GB so you get the speed bump from dual channel mode. Newegg is running a promotion right now where you actually get the RAM free with the Asrock Extreme4 you've already picked out.

CompUSA also has a sale ending tonight for a Seagate 1.5TB drive for $50. I'd be leery about getting a hard drive from ebay.

Make sure you pick up a good 3rd party HSF for your 3570k if you want to really push that overclock. There are less expensive models like the Xigmatek Gaia, or true monsters like the Noctua NH-D14 on sale for $70 with promo code EMCJNJD58

For power supply I'd probably stick with Corsair, Seasonic, XFX, or maybe Antec.
m
l
October 16, 2012 11:51:55 PM

ckholt83 said:
Swap your single 8GB RAM stick for 2x4GB so you get the speed bump from dual channel mode. Newegg is running a promotion right now where you actually get the RAM free with the Asrock Extreme4 you've already picked out.

CompUSA also has a sale ending tonight for a Seagate 1.5TB drive for $50. I'd be leery about getting a hard drive from ebay.

Make sure you pick up a good 3rd party HSF for your 3570k if you want to really push that overclock. There are less expensive models like the Xigmatek Gaia, or true monsters like the Noctua NH-D14 on sale for $70 with promo code EMCJNJD58

For power supply I'd probably stick with Corsair, Seasonic, XFX, or maybe Antec.

Thanks for the advice on the ram, in that case I may do 12 or 16gb instead! Also thanks for the info on the hard drive sale, the ones I would grab on ebay are new in box and sealed so no worries there, I will definitely check out the 1.5 though! Also will look into the coolers, thanks!
m
l
October 16, 2012 11:53:49 PM

Deemo13 said:
Given those 560Ti's are so cheap, that's a steal of a deal. Here's a power supply that would run them!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You are also going to want to get an aftermarket cooler for your CPU if you are overclocking that hard. Go for a Noctua NH-D14

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Its expensive, but totally worth it.

Thanks or the advice! I will be looking into that tonight! Any other possible advice or comments on the build?!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 16, 2012 11:54:03 PM

16GB would be overkill right now. I'd say put the money into other components (HSF) to start, and you have the room to expand your memory down the line if needed.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 16, 2012 11:55:53 PM

Nothing really I can add. Rosewill makes a good wireless adapter for like $12 that I use. I don't really use it anymore since I am wired into the school, but when I did use it worked great.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 17, 2012 12:00:09 AM

You can save $5 with this Samsung DVD burner with the promo code.

The challenger is a good entry level case, but that's another area where I'd consider shifting some more money towards if you want to do some extreme overclocking. Take a look at the Antec Eleven Hundred and the Rosewill Thor V2 for some cases with great cooling. There are other options in that range as well.
m
l
October 17, 2012 12:04:28 AM

Thanks for the advice guys! I am taking all into consideration! I dot wanna go to 4 gig sticks though cause they will be worthless if I decide to upgrade, saves money in the long run. Keep em coming guys! Thanks! Btw what is hsf?! Haha I know some not all :/ 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 17, 2012 12:07:19 AM

HSF is HeatSink & Fan for cooling your CPU, like the Noctua NH-D14 linked previously.

I wouldn't call the 4GB sticks worthless either, especially since you can get them for free with the promo. Your motherboard comes with 4 RAM slots, so you'd still have 2 available for future upgrades.
m
l
October 17, 2012 1:19:02 AM

ckholt83 said:
HSF is HeatSink & Fan for cooling your CPU, like the Noctua NH-D14 linked previously.

I wouldn't call the 4GB sticks worthless either, especially since you can get them for free with the promo. Your motherboard comes with 4 RAM slots, so you'd still have 2 available for future upgrades.

good point sir! =) i will be definitely looking into it then!
m
l
!