Video card gets hot

dogeee

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
i have a ATI Radeon HD 5700 and when im playing league of legends it gets to almost 90c averaging at 85c is this normal or am I in danger of overheating my computer.

Solution
That's pretty hot for a 5700. I'd recommend something like MSI Afterburner to change the fan speed on your card.

The 5700 is also an old card and has probably accumulated quite a bit of dust, so I would recommend blowing the dust or maybe removing the heatsink to check if maybe its caked on there.

I'd get a can of compresses air and blow that card out.

90c is frying temp for a gpu. use a thrid party porgram like msi afterburner and or speedfan..check that the gpu fan is moving and not clogged or dust bound or has a wire stopping it from moving. with afterburned see if the fan will spin up if you max the fan speed out. (sound like a jet taking off) if the fan is working. if it is working change the fan profile so that the fan maxes out when temps near 50c. if with the fans maxed your gpu still running hot if you have a mini atx type case try opening the side panel and see if more airflow helps. if you have a larger case make sure one fan in front is pulling air in and a fan in back is blowing air out. if your case can have a side fan have it blow in onto the gpu.

That's pretty hot for a 5700. I'd recommend something like MSI Afterburner to change the fan speed on your card.

The 5700 is also an old card and has probably accumulated quite a bit of dust, so I would recommend blowing the dust or maybe removing the heatsink to check if maybe its caked on there.

I'd get a can of compresses air and blow that card out.

Solution

dogeee

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
Yeah i just cleaned out the whole computer and had the video card checked. it might be because my computer is in a very small area my computer being 12in from the front and the area its in is around 18in and behind the computer there is only about 3in of room.