My front panel audio and mic ports/USB 3.0 do not work.

Hi, I'm having a bit of an issue with the case that I have selected for my build.

It is a Fractal Design Arc Midi Mid-Tower computer case. I am sure that I have connected all front panel connections to the motherboard, but when I connect or use anything in the front panel, they don't work. I have 2 USB 2.0 and 1 USB 3.0 and the USB 3.0 one does not work. The front panel audio and mic 3.5 mm ports do not work as well.

I was thinking I have to install motherboard drivers in order for this stuff to work. My motherboard is an Asus P8Z77, thanks for any help!
10 answers Last reply
More about front panel audio ports work
  1. I didn't have to for mine. MAke sure all the headers are connected in the right spot. If they are then you might have a faulty front panel.
  2. lt_dan_zsu said:
    I didn't have to for mine. MAke sure all the headers are connected in the right spot. If they are then you might have a faulty front panel.

I must note that I have 2 USB 2.0 ports from the front panel and both of them work. There must be something wrong with the way I connected the front panel connections. How do I make sure everything is connected right? Where do the front panel headphone/mic jacks and USB 3.0 connections to the motherboard go?
  3. I don't know specifically but check the manual or just look on the motherboard, they are ussually pretty well labeled. Is there a connector for the 3.0 alone?
  4. lt_dan_zsu said:
    I don't know specifically but check the manual or just look on the motherboard, they are ussually pretty well labeled. Is there a connector for the 3.0 alone?

Yes, there is a USB 3.0 plug from the case that I have connected to what I think is the USB 3.0 port on the motherboard. It seems like I have a faulty USB 3.0 front panel port, but the question about the headphone/mic jacks still remain.
  5. Check the motheboard manual first.
  6. lt_dan_zsu said:
    Check the motheboard manual first.

I checked it and I made sure that I have it plugged into the right port.

It looks like some of the front panel ports are just DOA. I can't believe I didn't notice it when I first bought the case, which was back in June/July.
  7. some USB 3.0 controller will need driver to work properly, had u try to reinstall the driver see if it helps
  8. rdc85 said:
    some USB 3.0 controller will need driver to work properly, had u try to reinstall the driver see if it helps

I just installed the drivers today, so I highly doubt a re-install is going to fix the problem.

I'm thinking I should call up the manufacturers of my case to see if I can get things working.
  9. I would call.
  10. I emailed Fractal Design a couple days ago and they told me to fill out a FedEx form so that they can send a replacement.

I'm not sure whether to go through with this if they're going to send me a brand new case. It's possible that it could be a problem on my end and I didn't plug the cables in properly.

I was thinking of selling the brand new one they send me, because I personally don't like the case after working with it with my build. The problem with that is, I don't know where to sell it because it's a huge box.

Life's problems... :(
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Front Panel USB3 Motherboards Systems