Sign in with
Your question

Evaluate my build (for BF3)

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
October 17, 2012 1:28:06 AM

Hi. My goal is to play Battlefield 3 on a 32" Television at hopefully 1920x1080 resolution. I would also like the settings to be on High. I will upgrade any component down the line if the situations demands it.

(I would like to order the parts on AMAZON UK but would accept a different site that ships to the Uk)

To hopefully achieve this goal I've came up with a list of parts:

CPU: i5-2500K
Motherboard: AsRock Z77 Extreme4
Memory: Corsair XMS3 2x2GB
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3.5 inch 2TB 7200 RPM
Video Card: Sapphire HD7870 2GB GDDR5 OC
Case: Antec Solo II Midi Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair Builder Series CX500V2

So the question is, using the parts above can I achieve my goal? IF I CAN'T then can you suggest a suitable alternative(s). Budget wise, can you make sure if the alternative(s) you suggest (in the CPU category for example) is around the price of the part I've chosen in that category.

EXCEPT for the GPU which you can suggest any card you want for any price but within reason.

All comments are welcome.

More about : evaluate build bf3

October 17, 2012 1:32:43 AM

Good build, but a few changes I'd make:

1) Get 8GB. 4GB is a bit small.
2) Get a cheaper case. That will let you get better components. The Phantom 410 is good.
3) Get the i5-3570K.
4) Get a Western Digital.
October 17, 2012 1:37:23 AM

The i5 2500k should do the job, the video card will run you a bit lower FPS though given the game you want to play. You might look at the 7950, the sapphire card just went on sale through newegg today, for 279.99 after rebate, I'm actually grabbing one now.
I don't know if newegg ships to the UK though. Other than that, I'd agree with Obsama on the RAM and HDD.
Related resources
October 17, 2012 1:39:08 AM

The 7870 will play BF3 fine. It is a bit cheaper, and OC's easy. But if it's in your budget, get the 7950. If the 3570K is a few dollars more, no reason not to get it.
October 17, 2012 1:39:33 AM

And yes, +1 to get a cooler.
October 17, 2012 1:43:36 AM

Also, if you can, get a Radeon HD7950. It's about $50 extra and a very good card that will give you even better performance so that your build will last longer in the future
Anonymous
October 17, 2012 1:44:40 AM

obsama1, I think you're right. Except for the case.

It was hard finding a good case because a lot of the cases I looked at were a bit too gimmicky for me because they were too flashy and silly looking. I'm looking for something that's more simple. I was thinking the Antec 300? And it's cheaper than the Antec solo!
October 17, 2012 1:46:56 AM

If you like clean looking cases, look at the Bitfenix Shinobi. Not the best case, but I have it, and it looks great.
October 17, 2012 1:48:27 AM

Antec 300 / 302 would be a great choice.
Anonymous
October 17, 2012 2:01:12 AM

evilqueens said:
Also, if you can, get a Radeon HD7950. It's about $50 extra and a very good card that will give you even better performance so that your build will last longer in the future

I'll definitely consider it.

As the other parts excluding the GPU are pretty much at a good level to play BF3 in 1080 then I think I might be better off waiting and buying an even better card than the one I listed because at that point I will have more money to spend on a card and hopefully i can buy the right card
I don't want to buy the most expensive card remember lol but the radeon hd7950 is the one you think i should get and stick with it for a good while?
October 17, 2012 2:05:03 AM

I have a 7950 now, and it's been a great card. The price on them lately has been steadily dropping, and the value per dollar at this point is pretty good. But honestly, the same could be said for the 7870. Just keep in mind that the better the card you purchase is, the more longevity you can get out if it in terms of 'needing' a better performing card down the line.
October 17, 2012 2:13:41 AM

If you want a 7950 but you can't squeeze it into your budget, you could get a 7870 and overclock it to 7950 levels easily.
October 17, 2012 4:17:29 AM

Anonymous said:
I'll definitely consider it.

As the other parts excluding the GPU are pretty much at a good level to play BF3 in 1080 then I think I might be better off waiting and buying an even better card than the one I listed because at that point I will have more money to spend on a card and hopefully i can buy the right card
I don't want to buy the most expensive card remember lol but the radeon hd7950 is the one you think i should get and stick with it for a good while?

Definitely at a sweet spot for your budget. It's not much extra - and it will give you great performance, and it can be overclocked as well.

Anything higher starts to become quite expensive, and this is more of the enthusiast market anyway. So, as I said, if you can afford it, definitely grab it (prices are very good at the moment - ~$275 is the lowest I've seen it go).

If not, go ahead and take the 7870, still a very good card which can be overclocked if you want to.
!