Closed Solved

AMD 8350 vs Current Setup

Hi currently with my setup I have a i7 950 oc @ 4.2 and was wondering if the FX 8350 would be better. But I am also wondering were this is an older socket if I waited for haswell I would have to upgrade my mobo also which as a university student would hurt the pocket. Would it be better now if I sold my mobo and i7 to my friend and got an Asus formula V and FX 8350 would this be better for the future since the steamroller CPU will run on AM3+ and I could just upgrade then again but for much cheaper then Intel I would say.
Also I will be running sli gtx 670's in this setup if that makes any difference.
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 8350 current setup
  1. Not worth it yet.
  2. Best answer
    Not worth it, you won't get noticeable difference.

AMD FX 8350 is only one step above on the charts.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,review-32634-5.html

Also most AM3+ MOBOs only support PCI-E 2.0 which would cripple you, if you were to have that MOBO a bit into the future and you would be getting a better GPU.
  3. Actually your overclocked i7 is quite a lot faster than the FX 8350 at stock clocks and probably a bit faster than an OC'd FX 8350.
    Your current CPU will have no problem with dual Titats, let alone dual GTX 670's.
    And PCI-E 3 makes absolutely no difference compared to PCI-E 2. The difference is less than 1% so the AMD platform will NOT cripple you.
  4. Kamen_BG said:
    Actually your overclocked i7 is quite a lot faster than the FX 8350 at stock clocks and probably a bit faster than an OC'd FX 8350.
    Your current CPU will have no problem with dual Titats, let alone dual GTX 670's.
    And PCI-E 3 makes absolutely no difference compared to PCI-E 2. The difference is less than 1% so the AMD platform will NOT cripple you.

There is a difference. When GPUs in the future will be released, they will have a higher memory bandwidth and PCI-E 2.0 is already crippling some of the AMD GPUs by a little as you just mentioned. Only by a percent or two, but that number will increase, as the bandwidth of the GPU increases.

So I will definitly say it's a cripple.
  5. GPU's of the future, what like 4 years from now when these boards are EOL?, PCI e 2.0/2.1 came out what 7 years ago and still isn't fully saturated.
  6. sarinaide said:
    GPU's of the future, what like 4 years from now when these boards are EOL?, PCI e 2.0/2.1 came out what 7 years ago and still isn't fully saturated.

Like when the Nvidia 700 series or AMD 8000 series, we'll surely see an increase of performance loss when using PCI-E 2.0 compared to 3.0. :)
  7. Hardly, the PCI-e is not the limitation on bandwidth, its GDDR5 being saturated.
  8. sarinaide said:
    Hardly, the PCI-e is not the limitation on bandwidth, its GDDR5 being saturated.

No, it's bandwidth! As well as memory clock, which results in the bandwidth. And PCI-E 2.0 only supports 5 GHz, which current Nvidia GPUs surpasses with their 6.008 GHz.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/printpage/Everything-You-Need-to-Know-About-the-PCI-Express/190

Read this and you will be informed about everything you need to know.
  9. lostgamer_03 said:
    Like when the Nvidia 700 series or AMD 8000 series, we'll surely see an increase of performance loss when using PCI-E 2.0 compared to 3.0. :)

No we will not see this happen, at least not with one GPU!
  10. Best answer selected by livevil.
  11. PCI-e 3.0 cards have been out since SB, when IB came out there was no FPS gains despite supporting PCI-e 3.0. Its irrelevant right now.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel i7