CPU Red Led Light Even After Changing CPUs

USmc2010

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
In my prior posts I talked about the CPU red light came on. It was solved. Now it started again. So, I put in another CPU, but now nothing. I will try to do an external build again. Let me know what you guys think.
MOBO is an Asus Sabertooth 990fx r2.0
Chassis: In-Win Griffin

Thanks for your replies.

USmc2010

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
Here's an interesting observation. The red light cpu stays steady, and then I push the ASUS block located on the board. (Right next to the PCI slots) and all of a sudden the red cpu light goes away and it boots. I have tried this 3 times so far. All 3 times, the red cpu light has stayed steady red until I push that ASUS block a little.

USmc2010

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
Ok. I let it run for 5 min. (red cpu light steady red) then I pressed the "Asus block" and it BOOTS. What the hell!!! So this is possibly a defective board correct?
Turned it off. turned on. cpu light came on red. but this time i pressed the "asus block" down and nothing happens. The cpu light stays red. Then did it again. and it booted.

adamv1

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
Hey USMC, thought we had this solved. I don't think the board is defective if breadboarding works it must be a standoff or grounding issue. I will get back soon once I get some more information on your motherboard.

adamv1

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
Ok, the button you are pushing is the MEM ok button. This indicates an issue with your memory or RAM. Check to see if your memory is seated and locked in place. This takes allot more pressure than you might expect to get the clips to lock down. They lock down on their own when the ram is inserted all the way.

adamv1

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
The button on the Motherboard tells the bios that the memory is ok despite the errors it is receiving. The CPU light will come on when RAM errors are present. The red light staying on indicates a general problem, you have fixed the problem before by pressing the mem ok button which allows the computer to boot despite the general issue which in this case is memory.

adamv1

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
It could possibly be bad ram sticks. If you replaced the motherboard and are still having this issue it may be RAM related. However, if the breadboarding worked I still think that it could be a grounding issue.

adamv1

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
Yes the light is an indication of a general problem not necessarily CPU related. You have been able to boot to the BIOS and check the settings. If the CPU was bad you wouldn't get that far.

adamv1

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
It does look like the case standoffs are build into the case. The cone shaped screw holes.

The RAM light doesn't come on when you start the computer or does it?

Im really stuck on this mem test ok button fixing the problem. It would seem that it is a big part of the problem or solution to the problem.

adamv1

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
it seems like there are allot of people having problems with the CPU light, apparently pushing the mem ok will allow the system to boot but with no bios post message. Bios version 1102 is the culprit, but there are people running 1102 with no problems.

Generally speaking from what I have read about this issue it seems that I am on he right track with the grounding issue. There is a short, most people have been blaming the BIOS update but when they examine further they find that they have a case grounding issue.

Those large offsets in your In-Win Griffin case may be too wide and are touching some motherboard components. I did read a solved issue regarding a reset button causing a short the link is bellow.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1256839/sabertooth-990fx-bios-1102-red-cpu-led/10

I really want to get this solved for you, I hate leaving issues un resolved.