Buying tips

bng13

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
how to detect refurbished component?how to detect latest revision of cpu,mobo?
any overall purchase safety tips are appriciated.

will the revisions effect much?

if you are asking for advice for a new build (highly recommend even if you are pro), please use a template provided at the top of the forum

if its refurb, it is usually marked. wont affect performance since it went back to the factory and is tested more than a new item.

revisions wont affect much. if its software revisions, you can always update but if its hardware, there might be issues

g-unit1111

Titan
It's better to buy PC parts online than in store because you're more likely to get brand new than refurbished or open box. The reason why I'm against buying from big box stores like Frys is they are completely dishonest in this area. They will literally put any returned merchandise back on the shelf without even thinking about it and not tell you what it was returned for.

Most manufacturers will tell you what revision of their product is on the barcode of the box. CPUs are usually unchanged for the most part. The motherboard is the one you need to watch particularly for BIOS revisons. You can find that information in a set of guidelines that your manufacturer puts out called the "Qualified Vendor List" and that can be found at the support site.

bng13

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
^^ what do you recommend then to authenticate my purchase? online stores are pricier than local shops. i am looking for way to get right product when i buy locally

g-unit1111

Titan

There's no correct way to tell that unless the product is shrink wrapped. Sometimes stores do tell you but it's better to ask the salesman.

bng13

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
^^ what do you mean by shrink wrapped? thanks for the info will look into that

@bigTroll still i dont want to get an refubrished item for brand new price. anyway i have open a thread as you mentioned, please do a check

g-unit1111

Titan

That's the original unopened package. Where are you buying from?