Can I connect my old radeon hd 5450 graphics card with a new nvidia gtx 560 and

Status
Not open for further replies.

brodyman101

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Hello,
im trying to make my computer be able to play battlefield 3 by getting a new graphics card(nvidia gtx 560) and maybe try and use sli to connect it with my old graphics card(radeon hd 5450). I was considering getting the nvidia gtx 560 ti, but after looking online for awhile, i found that i may not need it to play battlefield 3. Im not looking for high end graphics, i just want to play the game with no lag and fairly good fps. I dont know to much about how different graphics cards do what but im certain im getting the nvidia gtx 560 and no other card. Plz help me as I am new to this kind of stuff and just need some help, all i want to do is just find out if i can connect my new graphics card with my old one to get a little better graphics performance.

Solution
You can't connect 2 different graphics cards from 2 different manufacturers, like AMD and Nvidia.

If you COULD, if anything the 5450 is too slow and would probably actually hold back the GTX560.

Do you have the power supply for the GTX560 though? You might need a new power supply if you have like a HP Pavilion or something.
You can't connect 2 different graphics cards from 2 different manufacturers, like AMD and Nvidia.

If you COULD, if anything the 5450 is too slow and would probably actually hold back the GTX560.

Do you have the power supply for the GTX560 though? You might need a new power supply if you have like a HP Pavilion or something.

Solution

brodyman101

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
I've seen people connect two different brands of graphics cards with no problem tho. You may be right but im not sure. I wish i could tell u what power supply i have but i dont know because i had my computer custom build for me a about a year and a half ago and im just starting to learn about computers and how they work. I fugured that the 5450 would be a little too old. Im also not sure if my mother board can handle the graphics card. I looked at some of the manuals that were given to me by the guy who built it and one of them is for a gigabyte 333 on board accelerator, im not sure if thats the actual motherboard or something else. I know im asking alot of questions but im just trying to make things work without having to worry about things not working with my upgrades.

bignastyid

Titan
With Nvidia's SLI the cards must use the same gpu , the cards manufacture doesnt have to be the same just the gpu. With AMD's Crossfire you can mix different supported AMD gpu's cards but you cannot mix AMD and Nvidia cards in either SLI or Crossfire. To check the power supply simple open te side of the case and look the most important information will be the +12v information, how many if them are there and how many amps are they. Power supply can have a single 12v rail or multiple 12v rails. To check other thing like motherboard model, and ram information use a program called cpu-z.

Well if its custom made, there's a decent chance the power supply is good enough to run the card. Would you be able to check that power supply for me? The wattage and the 12V rail would be sufficient.

And if it can run the 5450 the GTX560 should work as well.

brodyman101

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
I was also thinking about getting an intel i5 3.1 ghz processor to help run the game even better. I saw there was also an i5 3.3 ghz processor, whats the difference between 3.1 and 3.3?

brodyman101

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012

On the side of the power supply box there is 450 watt written on it, is this what you are looking for?

brodyman101

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012

Nope, like i said earlier i had it custom built about a year and a half ago, i told the guy what i was going to use it for and i think he met the minimum requirements for the programs i was going to run. Now im trying to upgrade that computer to play battlefield 3.

brodyman101

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012

How could it fry the psu?

brodyman101

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012

Oh, well right now the computer is in bad shape because i had stopped using an anti virus program on it so i got cluttered with viruses and is now almost impossible to use. I was planning on taking it to office depot because i have some other issues with it that are in need and was just going to have them delete everything off it and start all over because i dont have anything important on it that i need. Then when i get it back i plan to replace the graphics card and processor for better gaming performance with battlefield 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.