Sign in with
Your question

Opinion on my new build?

Last response: in Systems
October 17, 2012 3:31:42 AM

Hey there everyone!

Just had a new build today but I want to know your opinion about out. Might make some changes, especially with my monitor.

This was my old system.

-Intel® Core™2 Quad CPUQ9550@ 2.83GHz
-Mother Board Gigabyte (G31M-S2L)
-RAM 4094mb
-Hard drive (primary) 465gb (WDC WD5000AADS-00S9B0 ATA Device) (271GB of free space)
-NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT
-High Definition Audio Device
-Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Operating system
-Monitor Acer X223W
-Case: Antec Sonata III 500 Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
-Power supply: Antec Earthwatts Model EA-500D 500W max

Now, I only wanted to change my GPU and RAM but my father made a little surprise for me:

-Intel i5-3450 3.1GHz
-Gigabyte Nvidia 560 GTX OC (GV-N56GOC-1G)
-Motherboard Asus P8B75M
-RAM 4x4GB Kingston Hyper X
-Monitor Acer x223w 1680 x 1050 22 inches
-Case Thermaltake VN400A1W2N
-PSU Coolmaster RS-500-PCAR-A3 500 watts
-OS Windows 7 Professional 64 bits

It's a nice upgrade, won't complain about it but me being a perfectionist whore I have 2 questions:

1. Was this the best choice for my GPU? I wanted an Asus (not OC) but he chose Gigabyte, does it make a difference? Is Gigabyte better?

2. I'm considering of buying a new monitor, preferably something under 230$ with HDMI

I thought of buying this one http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...
but I don't know much about monitors.

Thanks alot!

More about : opinion build

a b C Monitor
October 17, 2012 3:37:51 AM

Both are great companies, though ASUS tends to be a bit pricier.
The card itself isnt' really that great though, if you were going 560, you may as well have gotten the 560 Ti. If you want better peformance at the same price, the 7850 outperforms them both.

That's a good monitor.

Why do you need 16gb of RAM though? 8gb is plenty for gaming or anything non-CPU heavy related activities.
Check at what voltage does that Kingston RAM run at. If it's anything above 1.5v(most commonly 1.65v for Kingston), drop it. It will void your CPU's warranty.

The PSU isn't that great either.
Please consider units from more reputable brands.
m
l
October 17, 2012 3:55:33 AM

Hey there!

Thanks for the answer!

Well I didnt wanted to buy a Radeon GPU, I prefer to stick with Nvidia even if it's pricier. I heard that Radeon drivers are not as good and optimized as Nvidia. And the TI version is more expensive and for similar performances, it needs much more power, produces more heat and noise so thats why I chose a 560 GTX.

Why 16 GB? No idea, told my dad I wanted 8 but he added 16 so not gonna complain to much about it, consider it "futureproof".

What do you mean the PSU not that great? Not reliable? Not enough power? Do you have any suggestions?
m
l
Related resources
a b C Monitor
October 17, 2012 5:30:08 AM

The PSU chosen is not known for putting out the labeled wattage. Honestly I would change the PSU's between the 2 computers you have there. The Antec unit would be better.

If that's what you have now, then you might as well stick with it. It'll work for you. I would just change those power supplies around.

And I'm not very knowledgeable about monitors. Personally it doesnt make that much of a difference to me. I'm just using an old flatscreen TV and it works great.
m
l
a b C Monitor
October 17, 2012 6:50:00 AM

DCG said:
Hey there!

Thanks for the answer!

Well I didnt wanted to buy a Radeon GPU, I prefer to stick with Nvidia even if it's pricier. I heard that Radeon drivers are not as good and optimized as Nvidia. And the TI version is more expensive and for similar performances, it needs much more power, produces more heat and noise so thats why I chose a 560 GTX.

Why 16 GB? No idea, told my dad I wanted 8 but he added 16 so not gonna complain to much about it, consider it "futureproof".

What do you mean the PSU not that great? Not reliable? Not enough power? Do you have any suggestions?

I believe you're a bit misinformed.

As you can see,
- difference is negligible in power consumption
- The Ti's temps are cooler in load
- as for noise, it is also much more quiet
- There's a relative increase in performance, though this is just Metro 2033, but the same could be said for other games.

About the RAM, I don't understand why you guys could spend extra money for more RAM that will never be utilized instead of just using what cash you would've saved from that on the GPU.

+1 to what Deemo13 said about CM PSUs. They also have a reputation of having a high failure rate.
m
l
a b C Monitor
October 17, 2012 6:52:14 AM

I mean they're not that bad in terms of power. I have one, but its powering a relatively low powered system that I hardly ever use. I wouldn't trust it to my higher end components and stuff.

My recommendation would be to swap out for your old Antec.
m
l
October 17, 2012 2:59:37 PM

excella1221 said:
I believe you're a bit misinformed.

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4344/37906.png
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4344/37909.png
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4344/37911.png
http://media.bestofmicro.com/G/S/292204/original/Metro%201920.png
As you can see,
- difference is negligible in power consumption
- The Ti's temps are cooler in load
- as for noise, it is also much more quiet
- There's a relative increase in performance, though this is just Metro 2033, but the same could be said for other games.

About the RAM, I don't understand why you guys could spend extra money for more RAM that will never be utilized instead of just using what cash you would've saved from that on the GPU.

+1 to what Deemo13 said about CM PSUs. They also have a reputation of having a high failure rate.

Yeah I think I was wrong but anyway, thanks for the help!

I will change my PSU in a few weeks ( I had this in mind http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...) as well as my monitor but I will stick with with my 560 GTX, hopefully it will do well over the years. Maybe I'm misinformed about Radeon but thats just what I heard and my friend told me.

And can't really swap my PSU for my old Antec one, it's on my father's PC lol.
m
l
a b C Monitor
October 17, 2012 11:27:22 PM

Well, I tried. :p  You'll most likely find the need to change GPU in a few months.
That PSU would be fine with the whole system, yes. You can actually get away with 550w.
m
l
!