Sign in with
Your question

PLEASE help me with my new build!

Last response: in Systems
October 17, 2012 4:00:46 AM

This is my first build and I came into this idea planning on a $600 build.. I soon realized that for everything I want, it was going to end up costing me about $750.. with some research soon after I got my shopping cart filled up, I realized there were a couple things that I NEEDED in order to keep my computer safe from self destruction (lol). My build is now up to $970 and now I NEED to get back down to as close as possible to $800 in order to build it by the end of this month. My goal in this build is to be able to play anything I want (Skyrim, BF3, D3, SC2, ANYTHING) on the highest settings w/o any noticeable lag (or as close to it as possible for my budget). I want to still be able to browse the internet and stream Netflix and do everyday things like typing documents and watching YouTube as well. I'm not going to be doing any photo editing or video rendering, however. I am also planning on maxing out everything with overclocking (supposedly the 3570k's will hit 4.9 ghz, also overclocking the graphics cards) so I have the absolute biggest bang for my bucks! (and as a personal challenge for my budget, as this is my 1st build, I want to set my bar high). My build is as follows:

OS: Windows 8 Ultimate ~ FREE ~ Perks of my job ;)  (not even released yet and I have it!)
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 ~ $220 ~ Amazon
GPU: Two(2) Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 ti video cards SLI ~ $200 ~ From a friend that decided to go SLI 660 ti's instead
PSU: PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W High Performance 80PLUS Silver ~~~~}Packaged for $180 ~ Newegg
SSD: OCZ Agility 4 AGT4-25SAT3-128G 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive ~ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Internal HD: Seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM ~ $55 ~ Ebay (unopened, new)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ~ Packaged for $135 ~ Newegg
Memory: Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) ~ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Case: Rosewill THOR V2 Gaming ATX Full Tower Computer Case ~ $125 ~ Newegg
Disc Drive: SAMSUNG DVD Burner SATA Model SH-224BB - OEM ~ $20 ~ Newegg
Wireless Keyboard: Logitech Unifying Wireless Keyboard ~ $20 ~ Amazon
Internal Wireless Adapter: Rosewill Wireless Adapter (idk which though, advice?) ~ $15 ~ Newegg
Monitor: 32" Samsung 1080p HDTV ~ FREE ~ Already have

Concerns:
1.) Is a 750w PSU sufficient for the SLI, overclocking, case fans, and the rest of the system?
2.) Are all the fans that come with that case going to sufficiently cool everything at overclocked heats?
3.) Is it bad that the RAM is SDRAM?
4.) Which of the $12.99 Rosewill wireless adapters on Newegg is best?
5.) HOW CAN I CUT COST FROM 970 TO 800 W/O KILLING PERFORMANCE OR LIFE OF THE BUILD?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

P.S. Also get $30 mail in rebates from Newegg for PSU/SSD combo, so really only need to cut $140, not $170

More about : build

October 17, 2012 4:26:54 AM

get rid of the sli 660's. go for a single 670 instead. you can drop the SSD and put in a high volume HD with small SSD to act as "smart response tech" or disk caching.
October 17, 2012 4:32:40 AM

why get rid of the SLI 560 ti's?!?!? btw they arent 660's, my friend upgraded to the 660's, and can you elaborate on the "Dropping the ssd and putting in a high volume HD with small SSD to act as smart response tech or disc caching" please? I have the 128g SSD to put the OS and my games on, will make the system run much smoother. and btw, if i went with a single card, wouldnt a 7970 be best?
Related resources
October 17, 2012 4:38:15 AM

I'm not sure if I would get windows 8, there might be compatibility issues.
get this motherboard instead
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
you will save $15
If you get this case psu combo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
and this ssd
you will save $16.
get this wireless usb adapter
Also don't bank on rebates because they often times don't work. I saved you $36, that's the best I could do. Also, not to burst your bubble or anything but, the best you will do for overclocking with a stock cooler is 4.0ghz.
October 17, 2012 4:43:40 AM

you wanted ideas to cut costs. .............. I also wouldn't touch W8........... read up on the Intel smart tech yourself. google works wonders. thought you said you were getting 660's.......... figured if you had that kind of money you could cut back with a better single card. smart thing to do............... sli-ing 560's isn't a very good idea from my standpoint. I had 560's, they suck. and if you're gaming above 1600 res you'll have to make reductions in your games control panel to run without hiccups. yes in response to the amd card in your last response.
October 17, 2012 4:44:14 AM

doing all of that will actually cost me more becase i am getting $40 of ram for free with the purchase of the motherboard i have selected already =/
October 17, 2012 4:46:58 AM

If you're getting both 560's for 200 dollars, go for that- its a good deal, and good performance if you're SLI'ing them. The PSU you chose seems a bit overpriced. You might look at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I've always had great luck with Corsair products, plus you'll get a bit more power for 80 dollars less.

It_dan is right on the SSD.
October 17, 2012 4:47:03 AM

Also if you look at what he said the 560ti's are from his friend, so he is getting them for $200. If your friend is trying to sell them individually for $200, you are getting ripped off, the most you should pay for a used 560ti is $130.
October 17, 2012 4:47:38 AM

swifty_morgan said:
you wanted ideas to cut costs. .............. I also wouldn't touch W8........... read up on the Intel smart tech yourself. google works wonders. thought you said you were getting 660's.......... figured if you had that kind of money you could cut back with a better single card. smart thing to do............... sli-ing 560's isn't a very good idea from my standpoint. I had 560's, they suck. and if you're gaming above 1600 res you'll have to make reductions in your games control panel to run without hiccups. yes in response to the amd card in your last response.

what are you talking about on W8?.. my friend has a $3200 build and has insane benchmarks with the 560's, so whats your reason you dont like them? and im going to be gaming on a 1080p hdtv, so whats that, 1900x1080 or something?
October 17, 2012 4:48:43 AM

i am getting the 560's for $100 each, and whats the deal about the SDD?
October 17, 2012 4:50:58 AM

Koreanmojo05 said:
If you're getting both 560's for 200 dollars, go for that- its a good deal, and good performance if you're SLI'ing them. The PSU you chose seems a bit overpriced. You might look at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I've always had great luck with Corsair products, plus you'll get a bit more power for 80 dollars less.

It_dan is right on the SSD.

that psu is actually more expensive because for the 180 im getting the psu and the 128gb ssd
October 17, 2012 4:51:26 AM

No there is nothing wrong with 560ti's. They are good cards, but I should say I had trouble sling mine but I had literally a one in a million problem. Also make sure your are getting an sli bridge. Once again, if your friend is selling them for $400 total tell him he is cheap skate and buy a 7970 ghz edition from visiontek on newegg.
October 17, 2012 4:53:41 AM

lt_dan_zsu said:
No there is nothing wrong with 560ti's. They are good cards, but I should say I had trouble sling mine but I had literally a one in a million problem. Also make sure your are getting an sli bridge. Once again, if your friend is selling them for $400 total tell him he is cheap skate and buy a 7970 ghz edition from visiontek on newegg.

okay cool, he is giving them to me already wired/bridged together, and its $200 for the pair, $100 each, that i am getting them for, also that wireless adapter you suggested, i would but i was told to stay away from the usb adapters
October 17, 2012 4:55:44 AM

whats the issue with windows 8? what are you concerned with it not being compatible with?
October 17, 2012 4:56:37 AM

I have on in my usb adapter in my pc and it works great. Who told you to stay away from them?
Edit
I should not that it doesn't have a super far range, but if works fine in my house.
October 17, 2012 5:01:31 AM

750 watts should be fine for those components.

Those case fans should do fine for your motherboard, and the 560's should handle their own overclocking to an extent in terms of cooling, stock CPU fan... no go.

SDRAM = nothing wrong with that. Looks like a good option for RAM actually.

The best ways to drop price without killing performance or longevity would be 1. downgrade the case, 2. nix the SSD

You can always get an SSD later on if need be. If you're getting that version of windows for free... i wouldn't concern myself with compatability issues very much and just go with it... lol.
October 17, 2012 5:04:03 AM

hmm good to know, and as far as the fans go.. you saying i need ADDITIONAL cooling for my CPU? and if i downgraded the case i would go with the Rosewill Challenger, what are your thoughts on that and is it still going to make it cool enough to protect the computer? and im assuming that nix mean getting rid of?
October 17, 2012 5:07:27 AM

Your CPU will come with the stock fan, which is fine. Thats a really good CPU, and to be honest- I doubt you'll need to overclock it at all to accomplish what you're going for. A CPU like that won't bottleneck anything.
If you enjoy tinkering with things, and want to overclock (makes the chip run hotter) you'll have to invest in an aftermarket cooler for the i5. But similar to the SSD, you can always grab that part later on down the road.

yeah, nix means doing away with.
October 17, 2012 5:09:55 AM

so you say i should switch to the rosewill challenger and drop the ssd, and hold off on the overclocking until later on when i get a cooling unit or something? and would i still be able to run w/e games and stuff i want on ultra/high settings? and if all of this is the case i am going to do a 850w psu instead if im dropping the ssd
October 17, 2012 5:12:18 AM

dropping the ssd, and getting a different case will drop me to 825 total cost right away instead of 970, sounds like what i may need to do for now
October 17, 2012 5:13:54 AM

Yep, doing those three things should save you a good chunk. Even without overclocking you'll be able to run whatever games you what on max settings with those 560's and that CPU easily. Super intensive games like BF3 and Crysis might lower your frames per second, but you'll still be well into the realm of great gameplay.
October 17, 2012 6:20:27 AM

Football32player32 said:
what are you talking about on W8?.. my friend has a $3200 build and has insane benchmarks with the 560's, so whats your reason you dont like them? and im going to be gaming on a 1080p hdtv, so whats that, 1900x1080 or something?

goody for your friend and his benchmarks. what happens in the real world when that 1gig of vram runs out and the card spits and sputters when it's off loading textures.......... and lets not forget that the 560's can't render frames fast enough to do away with stutter even if they could handle the textures.
October 17, 2012 11:06:16 PM

The 560TI is a pretty good card. But the main drawback is the ram. I haven't ran out of ram with my card yet, but I am sure that I will start to next year. Also his friend is playing in the "real world". Also why do we keep saying 560? The 560 and 560ti are t20 completely different cards.
!