Sign in with
Your question

GPU way to hot, need help!!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 23, 2012 5:13:23 AM

Hello, i have a ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 graphics card and my GPU is reading 66-68C at idle and 73-76C . I have recently upgraded to a bigger case with many fans and also installed a pci fan directly under the card but still no temp drop. Any advice????

More about : gpu hot

a c 198 U Graphics card
August 23, 2012 7:23:28 AM

Maybe blow the dust out of the card with a can of compressed air. The thermal paste on the card might also be going bad as that's a pretty old card.
m
l
August 23, 2012 7:33:51 AM

Yeah, the best thing for you to do right now is to open the case and blow the video card with compressed air. When you've done that, report back and tell us the temps.
m
l
Related resources
August 23, 2012 5:31:46 PM

i have already used the compressed air on it many times and still no decrease.
m
l
August 23, 2012 5:44:17 PM

Well, you could always disassemble the card and reapply the thermal paste. You have nothing to lose (I'm assuming that the warranty has already expired). However if you don't feel like cleaning your card, you could just create a custom fan profile via afterburner.
m
l
August 23, 2012 6:15:56 PM

i will try applying more thermal paste and cleaning it real good but can you explain this 'afterburner' in more detail???
m
l
August 23, 2012 6:33:48 PM

brodius said:
i will try applying more thermal paste and cleaning it real good but can you explain this 'afterburner' in more detail???

It's a free program (Download here: http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm ), which is primarily used for overclocking and tweaking graphic cards as a whole, but some users, like me for example, use it simply for monitoring temperature and GPU load. One of the many perks that this program offers is to create a custom fan profile. You see, once the gpu gets hotter, the fan turns faster. Now, every card has it's own factory set fan profile, however you can change it in order to reduce your GPU temperature. For example, if the current fan profile says that at 80 degrees, the fans turn at 60% speed, you can reduce temperature by changing the profile that at 70 degrees the fan speed is already 60% and at 80 degrees - it's 70%. In this way, your card will never reach those 80 degrees, however it will be louder.
Anyway, the program is really intuitive and if you just browse through the setting tabs you'll figure out everything on your own.
m
l
August 30, 2012 7:10:18 PM

thank you for your help!! i will give that a try and let you know what happens.
m
l
!