GPU way to hot, need help!!!

brodius

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Hello, i have a ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 graphics card and my GPU is reading 66-68C at idle and 73-76C . I have recently upgraded to a bigger case with many fans and also installed a pci fan directly under the card but still no temp drop. Any advice????

mInInOwA

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
Well, you could always disassemble the card and reapply the thermal paste. You have nothing to lose (I'm assuming that the warranty has already expired). However if you don't feel like cleaning your card, you could just create a custom fan profile via afterburner.

mInInOwA

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012

It's a free program (Download here: http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm ), which is primarily used for overclocking and tweaking graphic cards as a whole, but some users, like me for example, use it simply for monitoring temperature and GPU load. One of the many perks that this program offers is to create a custom fan profile. You see, once the gpu gets hotter, the fan turns faster. Now, every card has it's own factory set fan profile, however you can change it in order to reduce your GPU temperature. For example, if the current fan profile says that at 80 degrees, the fans turn at 60% speed, you can reduce temperature by changing the profile that at 70 degrees the fan speed is already 60% and at 80 degrees - it's 70%. In this way, your card will never reach those 80 degrees, however it will be louder.
Anyway, the program is really intuitive and if you just browse through the setting tabs you'll figure out everything on your own.