Turned While Cleaning

CagedAlchemist

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
Hey guys I've had this computer for almost 6 months now and I knew it was time that I had to start cleaning the computer before it was too late.
This computer was built by me not some company that I would spend anymore money on because I haven't had that much luck with those
computers. Building my own computers seem to work a lot better for me because I know everything that's been put in it.

Anyhow my issue here is when I was cleaning/dusting my computer my heaksink rotated a inch or so and I'm wondering...Do I have to spend more
money to buy thermal paste? Oh and if this is relevant at all my Heat Sink is the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and the CPU is the Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge.

drg889

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
As long as the heatsink it making good contact with the CPU it should be fine. Your Hyper 212+ should have come with thermal paste right? Way back when i got mine it came with a tube that probably would have been good for 6-10+ CPU's.

Generally you would want to reapply the paste, but if it hasn't been long and you don't want to clean it off and reapply, I would just move the heatsink back to where it was, make sure it is secure and check the temps of your CPU to make sure everything is fine.

drg889

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
I use Coretemp to monitor my CPU temperatures, there are different programs you can use as well (speedfan works too i think). There are also programs like Prime95 that will stress/torture test your CPU by pretty much making it work at 100% load on every core, that way you can see how well your cooler does over a little while of testing.

CagedAlchemist

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
Ah...cool, thanks for the Info man! I appreciate it!

It's been six months since I put the thermal paste on and I just freaked when it move...and yeah I did you the paste that came with the Cooler Master.

CagedAlchemist

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

I didn't wiggle, it more or less rotated 30 degrees...

CagedAlchemist

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
I google and I didn't get that much info, that's why I asked on here...a lot of folks on here were really helpful when building my rig I have right now, and I am definitely happy what I have right now! But six months later it came time to clean out all the dust bunnies and this happened.

TRENDING THREADS