Sign in with
Your question

MSI R6850 Cyclone boot problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 23, 2012 5:42:39 AM

Hello everyone,

I've just purchased an MSI R6850 Cyclone (and also got a new PSU for it, which may have been a mistake. Everything works fine with the old card)
When I try to boot up with the new card installed, nothing shows up on the screen, and none of the available display ports I have show anything (neither of the DVI ports on the card, or the integrated port work. Don't have anything that can use DisplayPort or HDMI to check).
I think the system is booting normally (it POSTs and makes the usual sounds it does for a normal boot) but there's just no display output of any kind that I can use.

Has anyone run into this before?
Everything works fine with the old card.

My specs:

CPU: Core 2 Quad Q8400
Mobo: Acer EG43M (think it's a rebranded Gigabyte mobo)
Memory: 8GB (2x4) DDR2 RAM
New GPU: MSI R6850 Cyclone
Old GPU: GT 220
PSU: Corsair CX600 V2

I'm taking the card back to the store probably, to see if it's the problem.
Searches suggest there could be an issue with the mobo's PCI slot as well (backwards compability).
If that might be the problem, would it be so bad the card's unusable, or would it just be bottlenecked a bit?
August 23, 2012 1:43:42 PM

Edit!:I'm quite confused about your motherboard. I can't find specs for it anywhere and the only place I could find info on it was a obscure forum where the OP listed that it was a 1.0 @ 4x and the others who commented said it has 2.0 but the 2.0 slots don't accept expansion cards. Could you take a quick picture of your board?

Unfortunately the specifications for that motherboard say that it's running a PCI-e 1.0 slot @ 4x -

(And below is the part why I edited)
This does not mean it isn't backwards compatible since 2.0 (your GT 220 is 2.0, so is the 6850) is also backwards compatible with 1.0 however it does mean that your card will not be getting its full speeds. The typical speed for a 2.0 slot is 16x so you will see quite a speed loss in comparison though this has nothing to do with your lack of display - just a kind of note. You should upgrade your motherboard if you get a chance because that card wont be performing much different from your 220 due to the 1.0 4x limitation.

As for your lack of a display, does the cards fan spin up? The last time I had a similar issue my PCI connector from my PSU to my GPU wasn't fully inserted/locked in.

Also you're sure the card is plugged into the slot with the hinge on the end correct (that's the express slot)? Just want to make sure is all.
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 23, 2012 1:50:24 PM

Did you connect the 6-pin connector from your power supply directly to your graphics card?
m
l
Related resources
August 23, 2012 6:15:28 PM

I'd connected the 6-pin. The card does spin up when I boot with it. There's only one express slot (the mobo is indeed kind of a POS but I don't have the funds to make a ufll upgrade quite yet, as a new mobo will also necessitate a new cpu and ram, at which point I may as well assemble an entire rig).
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 23, 2012 6:16:53 PM

Did you connect the monitor to the motherboard or graphics card?
m
l
August 23, 2012 6:29:38 PM

Graphics first, then mobo. Nothing from anything.
I'd made sure to uninstall and use DriverSweeper on the previous set of drivers and all related things.
Mobo output works fine when there's no graphics card.
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 23, 2012 6:35:14 PM

Sounds like a bad card. I'd test it in another PC to be sure (like your friends one).
m
l
August 23, 2012 6:41:51 PM

Should I just take it back to the store and have it tested? Or should I wait to grab a friend and use the store as a last resort?
(Got it from NCIX. The actual location isn't too far so I shouldn't have to bother with shipping and whatever.)
m
l
August 23, 2012 7:05:09 PM

truancybot said:
Hello everyone,

I've just purchased an MSI R6850 Cyclone (and also got a new PSU for it, which may have been a mistake. Everything works fine with the old card)
When I try to boot up with the new card installed, nothing shows up on the screen, and none of the available display ports I have show anything (neither of the DVI ports on the card, or the integrated port work. Don't have anything that can use DisplayPort or HDMI to check).
I think the system is booting normally (it POSTs and makes the usual sounds it does for a normal boot) but there's just no display output of any kind that I can use.

Has anyone run into this before?
Everything works fine with the old card.

My specs:

CPU: Core 2 Quad Q8400
Mobo: Acer EG43M (think it's a rebranded Gigabyte mobo)
Memory: 8GB (2x4) DDR2 RAM
New GPU: MSI R6850 Cyclone
Old GPU: GT 220
PSU: Corsair CX600 V2

I'm taking the card back to the store probably, to see if it's the problem.
Searches suggest there could be an issue with the mobo's PCI slot as well (backwards compability).
If that might be the problem, would it be so bad the card's unusable, or would it just be bottlenecked a bit?

Hello my friend,I'm afraid i have to say that your gpu is a faulty one,it's hard to believe, i know
since the card is new,i had this exact issue my self with gtx 460 v2, i took it back to the store replaced it, guess what ? problem solved !
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 23, 2012 8:16:32 PM

truancybot said:
Should I just take it back to the store and have it tested? Or should I wait to grab a friend and use the store as a last resort?
(Got it from NCIX. The actual location isn't too far so I shouldn't have to bother with shipping and whatever.)

I'd just check at your friend first, but that's just me. Both options seem viable.
m
l
August 23, 2012 8:42:05 PM

Well, I just had it done at the store and it worked there.
Either the mobo is just that bad, or maybe the PSU somehow isn't giving it enough juice, although I highly doubt that.
Maybe it can be fixed with a bios update or something but I'm not positive I want to mess with that right now since I don't have the resources to fix it or get a new machine or anything in case it all goes to hell.
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 23, 2012 8:43:08 PM

I'd try updating bios at this point. I suppose old card works just fine?
m
l
August 23, 2012 8:45:54 PM

Old card works just fine.
Like I said I'm not sure I want to mess up the bios and accidentally brick the mobo or something, since I have no backup machine nor the ability to get one right now.
m
l
!