Power Supply Question.

SleepyAsian

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
Hi, I have no idea what I'm doing with computers, but I am trying to learn. I've recently acquired a computer with a couple missing pieces and I really don't know what to get to get this thing up and running. What I currently have:
-nforce 680i sli motherboard
-2x 2gb ocz pc2 6400 ram
-nvidia gtx 460 graphics card
-Intel Q6600 quad core CPU
-Zalman 120mm Processor Cooler
-1 sony dvd drive
and 3 smaller fans but I dont know what to call them. I believe all I'm missing is a power supply and a hard drive. I really dont know what wattage to get in a power supply or anything about the connectors. any help would be greatly appreciated. My friend also gave me this junky graphics card and he said I could use it as a PhysX(dont know what this is) card, and I'm not sure if that matters when determining which power supply to get but I figured I would let you know. If anymore information is needed please let me know.

Thanks.

pete123edgar

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
500W should be enough and for future upgrade. You are missing a case to if I don't know that yet? Read the manuals, check out guide videos, its the easiest way to learn. When I first start out, its pretty hard too, but then I figure that it isn't that hard, all the wires are labelled, its really easy, if you are stuck just come here and ask.

What graphics card model are you planning on using as your main graphics card?

If you're intending on using the GeForce GTX 460 as a PhysX processor then its power consumption will need to be taken into consideration.

PhysX is an NVIDIA proprietary method of using an NVIDIA GPU to perform complex physics calculations that are used in some games that support PhysX to render effects like dynamic destruction, particle based fluids, and more life-like animation.

SleepyAsian

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013

I plan on using the GTX 460 as the main graphics cards and a msi 8600 gt graphics card as the physx.

SleepyAsian

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013

I have a case, I forgot to mention sorry. Thank you very much for the advice.

Stay away from COOLMAX PSUs.

In that budget range look at this model:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027

It has ample +12 Volt continuous current capacity to power a system with both the GeForce GTX 460 and GeForce 8600 GT. It also has two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors that will be required for the GeForce GTX 460.