Upgrade or new build?

Hi everyone,

Firstly, I would like to apologize if my English is sometimes incorrect, as it is not my mother tongue.

My PC is currently two years old and it is starting to show real difficulties to run recent games with high-max settings. I am already obliged to severely limit some settings such as AA, shadows, max distance in order to keep a decent framerate (~50-60fps).

I am currently wondering if it would be possible to do some limited upgrades to continue to use it for at least one or two more years in order to wait for the next cpu/video card generation (Haswell and Maxwell).

Here is my current config:
CPU: i5-769 2.8GHz (Lynnfield)
CPU Cooler: Stock fan
Motherboard: MSI P55-GD65
Memory: 4GB (2x2GB) PC3-12800 1600 MHz (Pariot)
SSD: M4 Crucial 256GB
Video Card: GTX 460 768 MB
Case: Cooler Master Centurion 5-II Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts 650W
Monitor: 1080p 24.0"

My goal is to be able to run today’s and 2013’s games at max settings, 1080p with ~60fps. I am mainly playing solo games such as Skyrim, Borderlands 2, Dishonored, X-COM. I plan to play Far Cry 3, Bioshock Infinite, Elder's Scroll Online, the new Sim City… I have also recently started to use Skyrim with mods but I could not afford to use the best mods such as high resolution textures mods, or to use an ENB, otherwise the framerate would go down to uncomfortable level.

So my questions are:
1 - Do you think it would be ok to upgrade only the video card and maybe buying more ram. I would also like to point out that I may also have to buy a new case depending on the video card. For example, I was thinking about the GTX 670 but it is quite long and will probably barely fit inside my mid tower. It may even not fit for the models using a GXT 680 board.
2 - Do you think my processor could bottleneck a new video card? I have no experience in overclocking for the record.

If you guys think that it would not be worth upgrading, feel free to say it.
I can afford right now a completely new build, money is not really the problem but I do not like to spend money if it is not worth it. That's why I was thinking to go the upgrade way for now if it is possible, while waiting for the next generations of cpu and video cards.

Thanks in advance for any advice :)
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrade build
  1. that cpu could pull a new video card, more ram is always nice. maybe get a 212 plus (theyre cheap and work great) and overclock the cpu at least a little bit. 3.2ghz at least would nice.
  2. Best answer
    You should be good to just upgrade that machine for now. Something like a GTX670 or HD7970 would probably clear up your performance issues.
    Dont think the case will become an issue for upgrading. Just check the supported card size of the case (if it says HD6990 then your good, longest card on the market) and compare to the card your getting.

    Then when Haswell releases, you can get an entirely new rig and carry the card through.
  3. Best answer selected by Fehnryr.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems