Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is this a decent future proof build?- gaming maybe editing

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 17, 2012 7:38:33 AM

I7 3770K
As rock z77 extreme 4
16 GB DDR 3 1600 mhz
Asus Gtx 670 2 GB
2 TB HDD- storage
120 GB SSD sandisk extreme - OS main games- Already bought


http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_list...
October 17, 2012 8:29:09 AM

If editing is a 'maybe', I'm assuming the workload isn't heavy enough to merit the need of an i7 and 16gb of RAM.

Just get the i5-3570K and save yourself ~$100. You can get 8gb of RAM as well, but if you think you really need the 16gb, then by all means get it.

Other parts are good to go. Good job!
m
0
l
October 17, 2012 8:32:35 AM

Yeah..I'd say it's future proof. I'd switch to this Gigabyte model of the 670 though:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'm including a link to the same card from the site you posted as well.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...

Reason being that the cooling solution is very good, making the card a very good overclocker. It seems money isn't as much of an issue on this build so you may even want to step up to a GTX 680.

This MSi 680 is on sale from the site you're using so I might take the chance to snag it while you can.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...

Also in terms of a power supply I like to err on the side of caution and throw a little extra at it just in case, and you can't go wrong with Corsair.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...

Beyond that the CPU is a bit of an interesting question. If your focus is more on gaming the i5-3570K is more than enough for your needs, and honestly compared to that i7 in gaming you will see no difference. Now you say maybe editing, care to elaborate on that more? If editing will become a thing in the future then get the i7 now, or you can save some money and go with the i5 now and get the i7 down the road if it becomes an issue. (Also by then the i7 will be cheaper)
m
0
l
Related resources
October 17, 2012 8:41:20 AM

^+1 on the Gigabyte 670.

Don't bother with the 680. It's a very overpriced card and it performs too close to the 670.
You're basically paying tens of dollars for a 5% increase in performance.
m
0
l
October 17, 2012 8:59:02 AM

excella1221 said:
^+1 on the Gigabyte 670.

Don't bother with the 680. It's a very overpriced card and it performs too close to the 670.
You're basically paying tens of dollars for a 5% increase in performance.

The asus gtx 670 got a 10/10 in tech power up. I'm sticking with that one for now. The asus card is actually about 1 % better in performance than the 680 and beats it in almost every scenario. http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_670...
Video editing would be the editing side and I'm thinking of downgrading that 16 gig DDR3 1600 mhz to an 8 gig 1866 mhz. Thoughts?
m
0
l
October 17, 2012 9:00:40 AM

Reverend_Mason said:
Yeah..I'd say it's future proof. I'd switch to this Gigabyte model of the 670 though:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'm including a link to the same card from the site you posted as well.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...

Reason being that the cooling solution is very good, making the card a very good overclocker. It seems money isn't as much of an issue on this build so you may even want to step up to a GTX 680.

This MSi 680 is on sale from the site you're using so I might take the chance to snag it while you can.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...

Also in terms of a power supply I like to err on the side of caution and throw a little extra at it just in case, and you can't go wrong with Corsair.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...

Beyond that the CPU is a bit of an interesting question. If your focus is more on gaming the i5-3570K is more than enough for your needs, and honestly compared to that i7 in gaming you will see no difference. Now you say maybe editing, care to elaborate on that more? If editing will become a thing in the future then get the i7 now, or you can save some money and go with the i5 now and get the i7 down the road if it becomes an issue. (Also by then the i7 will be cheaper)

I'm planning on going all out now so I dont need to do anything else at a later date except perhaps SLI the 670 which from reports is better than sex, lol.
m
0
l
October 17, 2012 9:00:45 AM

I wouldn't normally either, but a good enough sale might drive me to get one just on the idea that if you overclock a 680 you have an absolute beast. (That being said an good overclock on the 670 puts it over some stock 680's performance wise.)
m
0
l
October 17, 2012 9:04:23 AM

You can always go that route as well. I would definitely snag the Gigabyte 670 though. It's also slightly cheaper than the Asus you chose. That isn't a knock on it or anything, Asus graphics cards usually command a higher price since, you know, it's Asus.
m
0
l
October 17, 2012 9:22:03 AM

nadz953 said:
I'm planning on going all out now so I dont need to do anything else at a later date except perhaps SLI the 670 which from reports is better than sex, lol.

If what this means is you're planning to get the i7 for gaming, let me stop you again.
The ONLY significant difference of the i5-3570K and the i7-3770K is HYPERTHREADING. I seriously doubt that any games going to be released in the next decade would make use of such a thing.

8gb @ 1600MHz is the same as 1866MHz. You will see no difference in performance at all in real life play.

Also, if you're gonna add a 2nd 670 in the future for SLI, make sure to get a 750w PSU now so you won't have to upgrade wattage anymore.
m
0
l
October 17, 2012 6:37:59 PM

I suggested an 850w Corsair...but that's just because I'm a bit paranoid.
m
0
l
!