Can't extend desktop to external monitor

techngro

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Hey guys. I have an Aer Aspire 4820t laptop. The relevant specs are Core 15-480M processor and Intel HD Graphics (don't know if it's 1000, 2000, or whatever). I made sure I had the latest drives and chipset from Acer. I plugged in a relatively new external monitor (Hannspree) to the VGA port. The external monitor immediately picked up the desktop in a mirrored setting. I wanted to change it to an extended setting, but when I went to the control panel to adjust the settings, there was no option to extend. In fact, there was only a singe monitor showing, not two monitors. It just displays one default monitor with a number 1 in a circle. When I click detect, nothing happens.

Any help would be appreciated in getting this working properly.

techngro

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011

Thanks for the suggestion, but when I do that, the laptop screen is blank (it's on but there's nothing on it) and the external monitor works. And in settings it still only shows a single default monitor.

techngro

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011

There are no options at all. I am uploading a screenshot so you guys can see what i'm talking about. Also, when I tried to restart the computer without the monitor plugged in and then plug in the monitor, now the monitor won't pick up the input.

captureayk.png

Kiiro Neko

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
Click on Advanced Settings and screenshot the Adapter tab (Should be the default tab that opens up).

Quick edit: Also please click on Properties, then click on the Driver tab. Screenshot and upload that as well please.

dj22

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
Hi everyone,

Did anybody find a solution for this? I've encountered exactly the same problem. I can have a clone desktop, but can't extend. I've tried all the suggestions given here, plus uninstalled and reinstalled the driver, but nothing.

Might be worth noting, I just did a clean re-install of windows 7. It worked fine before this so it's definitely a software problem, I just can't figure out what.

Thanks

techngro

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011

Sorry, I never found a solution to this. I ended up just leaving it the way it was. I just close the laptop and use the external monitor.