Dual Boot Problem, Cant get into XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

indigoataxia

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
When I installed Windows 7 RC1 I had previously had a dual boot of XP and Vista. When I set up Windows 7 I deleted the Vista partition and installed Windows 7 over it. Now I cannot get XP to boot. Ive tried Easy BCD but I dont think the XP boot files are set up correctly.

Ive tried rewriting the boot.ini file on XP but I got a NTDETECT failed error when I tried to boot into XP. I put NTDETECT and ntldr into the windows directory of XP and now it just restarts when I tell it to boot into XP. Windows 7 still boots fine.

Any idea's please?

Also when you go into the volume properties of XP you could balance between the left and right speaker. I cant seem to find how to do that in Windows 7. Has anyone found this yet?

indigoataxia

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008

Yep your right, thanks. I never did it in Vista, just XP.

Boot to your Win 7 DVD, and select Install

On the second screen, in the lower left, there is an option to "Repair" - Please select that. It will tell you it found an error, and ask do you want to fix it. Give it the OK. Once it's done, you will be presented the opportunity to select the OS on restart.

indigoataxia

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008

Thanks for the reply Scott.

I tried that and the only listed operating system was Windows 7 and I didnt get any errors. It asked me to load drivers if the operating system I was trying to access wasnt present but I dont know what drivers its asking for. It mentions system drivers I beleive. Any ideas?

OK - At this point, I would unplug the 7 drive completely. Then - with only the XP drive connected - boot to your XP disc, and perform a repair on XP. From there, you should be able to reconnect your 7 drive, and repair the boot like I posted above.

indigoataxia

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008

I have both partitions on the same HDD. Ive tried going into the repair console of xp but I wasnt sure what commands to use besides fixboot and fix mbr and that didnt help.

I think some of the problem is when I set up EasyBCD. I add an entry and choose drive D:/, which is the xp partition when I check my computer while in windows 7, and then type in XP and add entry. I get the EasyBCD could not locate a copy of ntldr on the hdd. But I downloaded ntldr and ntdetect.com from the website given on the error and put them in the D:/ directory already. Are they suppose to go somewhere else? Do i have to do anything to those files?

indigoataxia

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008

So what specifically should I do? Like ive said, ive booted from the XP Pro disk, and selected R for recovery console, chose 2 for the D: partition, enter for password, and ive done fixboot and fixmbr. That didnt change anything and I still got the NTDETECT error after selecting XP on the boot manager at startup. I know there is a bootcfg command but Im not sure how to use that.

Status
Not open for further replies.