Sign in with
Your question

GT610 graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 23, 2012 9:19:49 AM

hi there, my pc knowledge is limited so sorry in advance.

I purchased an Acer x3960 i5 and understand it has a 220 watt power supply. I purchased a Geforce GT610 graphics card and was told I need a 350 watt power supply. Is this true or can I safely run the 610 card without? If I do need to upgrade the power supply any advice on the type that I should look to purchase would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks Neil

More about : gt610 graphics card

a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2012 9:28:34 AM

What is your power supply, I mean the full name of it. The amount of "watt" tells us nothing :) .

- Fastreaction
August 23, 2012 1:02:43 PM

You should be fine

From what I've read the 610 only pulls 29W which is.. nothing. Your board + accessories are only around.. I want to say 125 W with an i5*.

Also, are you sure it isn't an i3?

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/acer-aspire-x3960-u410...

Also

http://www.elive.co.nz/acer-aspire-x3960-i5-2300-.php

If that is your computer, and not the other one I listed then there isn't much of a point from going to a GT 420 to a 610.
.. And also one more thing, the second link is using a GT 420 which has a higher power draw than the 610, using the same PSU.
So! You should be perfectly fine.
Related resources
August 23, 2012 3:00:57 PM

Thank you for your prompt reply, mine is the AX 3960 i5 (def i5 according to what is stated on the unit) but has a slightly different spec to the one you identified, mine does not have a GT420 it has Intel graphics up to 1243mb

does this change anything?

many thanks
August 23, 2012 3:05:21 PM

fastreaction said:
What is your power supply, I mean the full name of it. The amount of "watt" tells us nothing :) .

- Fastreaction

thanks fastreaction, well I opened it up and it states it is a Liteon PE5221-08/AF rest is mostly in chinese writing, other than "ATE ok" "Hi Pot Ok"
August 23, 2012 3:57:50 PM

Checked the specs of your PSU, took me quite a while. Had to use google archives/cache through an obscure, very old ebay listing. From what I saw of the photo it should be fine for a GT 610 but anything more than that and you'll have to upgrade your power supply.
August 23, 2012 5:36:52 PM

Kiiro Neko said:
Checked the specs of your PSU, took me quite a while. Had to use google archives/cache through an obscure, very old ebay listing. From what I saw of the photo it should be fine for a GT 610 but anything more than that and you'll have to upgrade your power supply.

Thankyou very much for your help, I just wanted to make sure it was safe to do that..I didn't want anything going up in smoke :) 
!