Sign in with
Your question

Router and Windows7

Last response: in Networking
October 9, 2011 2:57:50 PM

Hi,
my router has a very weird behavior.
Basically when I try to connect (wireless) a laptop with Windows7, the router reboots and then correctly connects to the laptop. This doesn't happen with Windows Xp laptops (they get immediatly connected).
I've tried with 2 different Windows7 laptops and the behavior is identical, so I think it is not related to a single laptop, but it is a router issue.
Anyone had the same issue? Or do you have any idea why this is happening? Why Windows7 should send a reboot signal to the router?
FYI the router is a Zyxel P660HW.
Thanks.

More about : router windows7

October 9, 2011 10:32:30 PM

You might need to update the firmware on the router.
There are a few P-660HW versions, so I can't provide a direct link to download the software from their website.

http://www.zyxel.com/support/download_library.shtml
Bottom left, pick your router version from the list, then select Firmware. Download those files to your PC then go to your router configuration page. There should be a section to update the device using the file from your PC.
October 10, 2011 1:44:03 AM

arael said:
You might need to update the firmware on the router.
There are a few P-660HW versions, so I can't provide a direct link to download the software from their website.

http://www.zyxel.com/support/download_library.shtml
Bottom left, pick your router version from the list, then select Firmware. Download those files to your PC then go to your router configuration page. There should be a section to update the device using the file from your PC.

Hi arael,

thanks but I've already the latest firmware version.
Related resources
October 20, 2011 1:08:34 PM

up
a b D Laptop
October 20, 2011 3:59:38 PM

There’s no way your Windows 7 (or any other PC) is deliberately telling the router to reboot. It's not possible based purely upon messaging at the TCP/IP level between the client and router. IOW, there's no "reboot router" command the PC can send to the router. The ONLY way to reboot the router would be to use w/ the router's administrative interface (GUI or console) and issue a reboot command, and obviously that's not the case when merely trying to establish connectivity.

What *can* happen (if highly unusual) is that *maybe* the router has a bug that can be triggered by some clients, since those clients may differ slightly in their communications from one OS to another. But that would VERY unusual, but not impossible. For example, the client sends a message to the router, it happens to trigger some code in the router that overflows a buffer, corrupts the router, and BAMM, the router reboots. But again, this would be VERY unusual and something that would very likely affect others and corrected immediately.

I assume using a wired connection works fine?

Make sure you reset your router to defaults as well. Start w/ an absolutely clean router. Avoid any modifications before seeing if the problem continues.

October 26, 2011 2:02:20 PM

eibgrad said:
There’s no way your Windows 7 (or any other PC) is deliberately telling the router to reboot. It's not possible based purely upon messaging at the TCP/IP level between the client and router. IOW, there's no "reboot router" command the PC can send to the router. The ONLY way to reboot the router would be to use w/ the router's administrative interface (GUI or console) and issue a reboot command, and obviously that's not the case when merely trying to establish connectivity.

What *can* happen (if highly unusual) is that *maybe* the router has a bug that can be triggered by some clients, since those clients may differ slightly in their communications from one OS to another. But that would VERY unusual, but not impossible. For example, the client sends a message to the router, it happens to trigger some code in the router that overflows a buffer, corrupts the router, and BAMM, the router reboots. But again, this would be VERY unusual and something that would very likely affect others and corrected immediately.

I assume using a wired connection works fine?

Make sure you reset your router to defaults as well. Start w/ an absolutely clean router. Avoid any modifications before seeing if the problem continues.

Hi eibgrad,

thank for the hint. I never tried the LAN connection since the router is in a bad position.
Anyway, yesterday I tried, I connected the LAN cable, turned on the laptop with windows7 and the router rebooted.
In the next days I'm gonna reset the router and try with a completely clean setup to see what happen.

!