Mini ITX Red Beast Ready to go

DionTheGreek

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
Hello Everyone,

Here is what I am planning to build around Thanksgiving/CyberMonday time when the prices will drop a little and get the best possible deals.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS8900 Extreme CPU Cooler ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard ($195.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($139.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($329.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Lian-Li PC-Q08R Mini ITX Tower Case ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 850W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) ($127.99 @ Amazon)
Other: Rosewill RCW-566 50ft. /Network Cable Cat 6 Black ($7.99)
Other: JVC HAFX1X Headphone Xtreme-Xplosivs ($17.99)
Other: Rosewill RTK-002 Anti-Static Wrist Strap ($4.99)
Other: Belkin USB 2.0 4-Port Ultra-Mini Hub ($5.99)
Other: Marker Cable Tie 4 inch 18LBS, 100pcs/Pack - White ($3.48)
Total: $1639.33
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

That system will be used on a single monitor with a purpose of mild gaming.

Let me know what you think.

-D

Solution
Looks good. Keep thinking about it. That is the most fun part I find.

On the power supplies, both the PC P&C silencer and the Corsair are good quality units.
They are tier 2 units on this list. http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx
If you want, I could suggest the Seasonic X series 650w unit. It is modular, and gold rated.
It is a tier 1 unit(best) on the list. I am using the x-750w variant, and I can highly recommend it.
If there is any drawback, the modular leads are longer than I need for a small case. Sufficiently long leads is a characteristic of better quality psu's. Unfortunately not needed in a small case. I contacted Seasonic, and they do not sell shorter ones.
Oh well, there is room to keep them out of the...
I like your idea.
I have the same lian li PC-08R, and I can tell you the red color is stunning.

Here are a few comments.

I think the 660ti is a bit weak compared to the power of the 3570K.
If budget is not an issue, can you justify a GTX670?
The case will fit any length graphics card.
I think I would pick a card with a direct exhaust type cooler.
Perhaps like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130810&name=Desktop-Graphics-Cards Any difference in performance is not significant.
The type of cooler on the ASUS will cool well on an open testbed, or possibly in a well ventilated case. In the Q08, you want to keep as much heat as possible away from the cpu.

Similarly, you have to pay attention to the cpu cooler. Yes, there is restricted height limitations for the cooler.
I have done some research here, and the best cooler I can find that fits is the thermalright axp-140.
It may no longer be made since I don't see it on newegg. http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/thermalright-axp-140.html
Also, the height of the asus daughter board might be an issue, conflicting with some coolers. Perhaps even your zalman cooler. Gigabyte and ASrock also make Z77 based ITX motherboards that might be better, certainly cheaper.
There are a number of active Q08 forums so you can do some research there.
If all else fails, the Intel stock cooler will work, at least up to a point. The 3570K is plenty good enough, even without overclocking.
I gave some thought to using an all in one cooler and mountint the radiator in the upper 120mm fan hole. I think that can work if you use a slim 120mm fan on the radiator. But, I really don't like the noise and reliability of liquid cooling.

On the psu, 850w is overkill. It is also longer than normal.
A quality 500w psu will suffice, even for a GTX670.
Look at this PC P&C silencer 500w modular unit. There is a 600w version if you want that.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703035&name=Power-Supplies

DionTheGreek

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

Here is an update of my setup based on your recommendations:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS8900 Extreme CPU Cooler ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard ($195.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($139.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($179.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($379.00 @ NCIX US)
Case: Lian-Li PC-Q08R Mini ITX Tower Case ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($59.44 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) ($127.99 @ Amazon)
Other: Rosewill RCW-566 50ft. /Network Cable Cat 6 Black ($7.99)
Other: JVC HAFX1X Headphone Xtreme-Xplosivs ($17.99)
Other: Rosewill RTK-002 Anti-Static Wrist Strap ($4.99)
Other: Belkin USB 2.0 4-Port Ultra-Mini Hub ($5.99)
Other: Marker Cable Tie 4 inch 18LBS, 100pcs/Pack - White ($3.48)
Total: $1632.79
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

I don't have a problem with the budget. Lets say <$2000 is ok

I kept the cpu cooler because of a video that watched on YouTube of another owner that used it with success and because cannot find anywhere the one your recommend.
I liked a lot your idea of the direct exhaust type cooler and for that reason I went to the 670 as you suggested. My hope is to be not only faster from the one I choose before but quieter too.
I like the asus mobo for the features and also for the nice fan control that is build in.
Regarding the Power Supply, I was thinking for the great reliability of corsair PSU and their excellent 7y warranty.

Please let me know what you think. The pc will be placed side by side with my monitor on the top of my desk and I want to be sure to be as quiet as possible by using the best available options.

-D

Looks good. Keep thinking about it. That is the most fun part I find.

On the power supplies, both the PC P&C silencer and the Corsair are good quality units.
They are tier 2 units on this list. http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx
If you want, I could suggest the Seasonic X series 650w unit. It is modular, and gold rated.
It is a tier 1 unit(best) on the list. I am using the x-750w variant, and I can highly recommend it.
If there is any drawback, the modular leads are longer than I need for a small case. Sufficiently long leads is a characteristic of better quality psu's. Unfortunately not needed in a small case. I contacted Seasonic, and they do not sell shorter ones.
Oh well, there is room to keep them out of the way.

I don't bother with a wrist strap. My house does not have a static problem. If you are careful and ground yourself to the case before touching parts, you will be ok.

Also, a tip. I find that a #2 magnetic tip phillips head screwdriver is invaluable. It is the exact size to get at the screws securing the case side panels and other parts. The screws are tiny and black. They are easy to lose... be careful. At one time Lian Li secured them with a machine, and they were the dickens to get off without a lot of pressure and the exact sizs screwdriver.

---good luck---

Solution

DionTheGreek

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

There is no doubt that this is the fun part :)
I greatly appreciate your efforts to provide me so much valuable information on my upcoming build, and since you already own the same case you totally the best to take advice from.

The more options I have on my hands, the better will be on my shopping list on cyber monday to get the best possible deal. Couple days ago Newegg placed the Seasonic 650 X series on a very low price (around $80) and missed it!!! because I wasnt sure if that is the supply i need. Now the price is up by much more and feel bad that missed that deal. Regardless, is a great PSU and I'll consider it when the purchase day comes.

As you can tell, I am looking for a high performance and quiet system. How are the noise levels with such system? I am planning to use for gaming very sporadicly but want to ensure on daily student tasks will not drive me or my wife that studies near by crazy.

Any suggestion on Headphones, Mouse and keyboard? Silence is my first priority and then gaming.

I have used the Q08 temporarily as a backup pc with a G6950 pending it's conversion to a small main gaming pc later. Probably when haswell arrives. I simply could not resist the red version and feared that it might get discontinued.
The front 140mm fan is reasonably quiet as is the top 120mm fan. I used cheap zalman fanmates to precisely adjust the speeds to my desired level of quietness. I think that the 140mm intake will be all I need. I am considering applying some sound deadening material to the interior. Silverstone make some good stuff. Be careful. Once you start down the path to quiet computing, there is no end to it.
A good resource is www.silentpcreview.com

I can't help you on headphones. I suggest you visit a store and try out the mice and keyboards.

DionTheGreek

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
I'll not put any deadening materials because that case have already so many holes to combat the heat, I'll not make it even more difficult....

I have a major question that consistently forget to ask.... and now finally remembered!!!

How can I test if all my components are good and nothing need to be RMA?

Can you recommend me a good video that show me how to do that?

Lets say, that I connect everything outside the case and connect my monitor and then... what?

I know how to install the OS but how can I tell if any hardware component is fully working?

I would never cover up any ventilation holes.

I put the motherboard on top of the film it comes wrapped in, and put it on top of the foam pad packing you usually get.
I install the cpu and the ram. Then the cooler.
Plug in the power supply to the motherboard, and then I attach the monitor to the integrated graphics port.
Plug in your keyboard and monitor.
To start up, use a screwdriver to touch the two pwr buttons on the motherboard(assuming the mobo does not have a pwr button)
Once you see the bios screen, you are ok. If you want, you can boot from a cd with memtest86+ to exercise the ram.
You could attach the hard/ssd drive and see if it shows up in the bios.
If you attach the dedicated graphics card, you will get a low res display, like 768 x480.
No os, so no driver is needed. That should check out the basic functionality of all of the parts.

Then, I usually reinstall in the case before proceeding with the os install.
I leave all the case covers off until all is done. You may need to check connections, reroute wires, or whatever.

As the motherboard starts up, press delete or f2 alternately, which are the usual keys to get into the bios.