PC freezes for 2-3 seconds?!

TreeEskimo

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2013
Hi!

Some weeks ago I somehow managed to "knock over" my PC, which caused the CPU fan to jump off.
So I went and bought a new one (NOCTUA NH-D14) and my system is pretty cool now (25-27C idle).

However, since I wanted higher loading speeds I ended up buying a Samsung SSD (840 proseries) for that, and I'm running my Windows off of that drive right now.

I started noticing a really strange problem when I would surf the internet or just watch videos off the internet (usually youtube or jwplayer stuff), and sometimes its as if my PC can't "keep up" with my speed? Sometimes I would just close 5-7 tabs from Chrome/firefox and boot up another program/file right after, and it would cause my PC to freeze for 2-3 seconds and I would hear my fan (no idea which one) speed up and go little loud, but nothing too loud though.

This happens rarely (maybe once or twice every two days) and does NOT happen while playing video games or well - it hasn't happened yet though I think. Sometimes this would also cause my PC to reboot itself, but thats really rare and havent ran into that problem since I have formatted, but the lock ups still occurs.

I have a 24pin extension cable connected from my PSU to the motherboard which does not fit in tightly, but doesnt fall off either - could that cause this problem perhaps?

Image:
7a86f279_20120818_125027.jpeg

Also, my cousin (who mounted my CPU fan) mounted my NOCTUA NH-D14 the wrong way, but this shouldn't be a problem since I have seen few other people have mounted it this way too. However, the front fan og the cpu fan sits really close to my GPU, and by really close I mean REALLY close. It just barely fits there but they ARE NOT touching eachother!

My cousin told me the only problem would be that my fan would cool my GPU but dip a little bit in airflow obviously. So I just left it as it is.

I dont know! Maybe damaged SSD drive??? I'm really desperate for some help here, and I would appreciate any answer alot!!
I will try to buy a new extension cable and make it fit to see if the problem persists... But I dont know :(!

TreeEskimo

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2013
Since I cannot edit my specs are:

SSD: 128GB Samsung 840 pro
HDD: Random 500GB
GFX: NVIDIA GTX 550Ti
PSU: Hantol HPSU720
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS P7P55D-E LX
RAM: DDR3 1333MHz 4GB KIT, CL9, Kit w/two matched DDR3 2GB, 240pin.
CPU: I5 760

Also, sorry for the big picture...

TreeEskimo

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2013

My temps? As stated my CPU temps are around 25-27 idle, had it running for an hour with Prime95 w/o reaching 60C and no crasehd whatsoever. I even ran the GPU stress test (cant remember the name, Lynx?) and was fine too. :/

How would you go on about changing hard drives search time in BIOS? Also was your problem identical to mine?

The difference is mine just froze and didn't come back. When I booted the SSD (that has windows on it) was not found. I am just saying that the port, cable, or SSD could be at fault.

I went into the BIOS and (unfortunately I am at work and can't look at it) went to a setting that said Time to search for harddrive, or something like that. The choice was from 0 to 15. It had been on 0 for over a year and worked fine. I changed it to 15 and my problems went away. Eventually I will continue to lower it.

TreeEskimo

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2013

Hm okay I might try that if I figure it out. My SSD is completely fresh so could this also be because of old firmware perhaps? Haven't updated or touched anything regarding the SSD/settings.

TreeEskimo

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2013
Okay, I changed the 24-pin extension cable and it sits in correctly now without any problems. Tried to change put in the SATA cables from both my hard drives into different slots, but problem is still there. :(

Any ideas?

TreeEskimo

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2013
Thanks for all the help, jnkweaver! Appreciated!

I found the solution to my problem; my hardware was not faulty at all.
When I installed my SSD I forgot to format my current system on my old HDD (which now is my external drive), which resulted in Windows having the boot files on that drive and thus I could not format it (Windows cannot format the system partition on this disk error).

So I went and used EasyBCD to move my create the boot files to my current C:\ drive (SSD Windows), and made my Windows drive the only active drive - aswell as plugging it into DISK0.

I think it is solved as the problem has not occured yet so far, but I will go ahead and run memtest on my memory if the problem persists.

One last question: can memtest be run from an USB drive? :)

Just got back from vacation. Don't know why it wouldn't be able to run from a USB drive.