124c CPU Temp? FX-8350

chrisafp07

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012
Hey guys, I'm having the ODDEST issue. I stress tested my FX-8350 at all stock settings (VCore never went over 1.408 on auto settings) using Prime95 for 9 hours. Everything went fine on Prime, not sumouts, no errors, all green, but HWMonitor's Package temp would display abnormally low idle temps at times but normal (expected) package core temps during the test max was 42c at stock under Antec 920 h20 clc with 2 Noctua 140mm fans on radiator and MX-4 thermal paste. But the CPUTIN read 124c, and the same for FStream which is my ASRock's monitoring software, reads 124c cpu temp... and HWInfo64 and Aida64 as well, Package temps seemed what I would expect under load with my cooler and stock settings but the CPU or CPUTIN temps were insane, impossible high, what is going on? I will be overrclocking soon, what temps do I need to be watching? I need to be able to make sure my temp readings will be accurate while running Prime in the future.

Thanks for the input!

Solution
^yep...just go with package temps. My room mate's 8120 reports core temps which are sometimes 10-15C lower than ambient. Since I've been using an i5 and he has a core 2 laptop, it took us a while to come to terms with the weird temp sensors on the FX. then here on the forums, this is a pretty common question.

The important thing is that his machine blazes through the alias renders that it is has been built for and the package temps remain within 45-50C on load.

RDS has already pointed out the fact that it'll shut down long before so why get paranoid over temp read outs which we all know are far from accurate :)

enjoy your build and let us know when you upgrade to Steamy (I just cant wait for it anymore) :D

good luck
-satyam

It is not getting to 124 degrees celcius. If it was it would be shutting down long before that and if it didn't shut down the CPU woud have fried long before that point. Download CPUID HWMonitor and check your BIOS then use those and compare. You should be able to get a better idea of what your temps really are.

chrisafp07

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012
Yea, I knew there was no way I could reach 124c, I guess I was just wondering what I should be referring to for a good cpu temp. My Bios is also reading my room temps for core temps at idle, or slightly higher, so I assume it is accurate. I guess the package temps will be what to follow when I can't see bios during stress testing.

satyamdubey

Distinguished
^yep...just go with package temps. My room mate's 8120 reports core temps which are sometimes 10-15C lower than ambient. Since I've been using an i5 and he has a core 2 laptop, it took us a while to come to terms with the weird temp sensors on the FX. then here on the forums, this is a pretty common question.

The important thing is that his machine blazes through the alias renders that it is has been built for and the package temps remain within 45-50C on load.

RDS has already pointed out the fact that it'll shut down long before so why get paranoid over temp read outs which we all know are far from accurate :)

enjoy your build and let us know when you upgrade to Steamy (I just cant wait for it anymore) :D

good luck
-satyam

Solution

chrisafp07

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012

Yea, Steamroller? I know me too, I bought my mobo literally just thinking of the that :D I'll be excited, this FX-8350 has been so much more headache all around than the Phenom II 965 BE I upgraded from awhile ago, that cpu was so easy, from oc'ing to sensors lol.

It's probably a bad temp sensor I woudn't worry about it. If it isnt shutting down under load than it probably isn't over heating and should be fine.

satyamdubey

Distinguished
^ agree that the phenoms were good (965 still is but I've retired it from my recommend list. I dislike a great older gen cpu being compared to more recent dual cores and then being bashed. Respect and retire that's how it should be) but the Vishera line is pretty awesome. The first FX series disappointed a bit yes but piledriver did deliver on certain fronts. and I thought OC'ing the 8350 was as easy if not better than phenoms.

TRENDING THREADS