Sign in with
Your question

HD3000/4000 drivers

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 23, 2012 2:16:10 PM

Hi guys
i recently took one of my spare cards out for a spin ( namely the XFX HD4850 512mb ) .. as i wanted to check its stability.... the last time i used this i experienced a common problem of green vertical line corruption... when running a 3d game ( eg crysis ) the game would run fine for a while then the screen would go green with vertical lines
however since i downloaded the drivers at http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/legacy/Pa... the card seems to work much better
ive noticed these drivers are specificly for HD 4000, HD 3000 and HD 2000 Series cards and the driver description includes the following : AMD has moved to the AMD Radeon™ HD 4000, AMD Radeon HD 3000, and AMD Radeon HD 2000 Series new driver support model. These updates will focus on resolving application specific issues and critical updates. The reason for the shift in support policy is largely due to the fact that the AMD Radeon HD 4000, AMD Radeon HD 3000, and AMD Radeon HD 2000 Series have been optimized to their maximum potential from a performance and feature perspective. :
does this mean these drivers ( 12.6 ) have been redesigned for just these cards and have included fixes/patches for problems experienced by the cards including the green line corruption,or do you think the problem is hardware based and thus impossible to fix with drivers ect ?
i ask this since i remember when i used the HD3850 agp many years ago and all end users experienced crashes ect until ati released a "hotfix driver" which basically fixed all these problems .. so is the 12.6 been released to do a similar thing ?
after reading posts ( including many on this forum ) there are lots of guys who experienced problems with HD2000,3000 and HD4000 series cards.. and more specificly the HD4850 which had hundreds of issues .....
its a shame since the XFX HD4850 was a excellent card and would run all my games and applications with ease.... it was a shame when i had to replace it with a HD5750..
so can anyone give me more information on these drivers and what fixes they support and for which cards
cheers guys

More about : hd3000 4000 drivers

a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2012 5:01:21 PM

The 12.6 HD 4000, etc. drivers aren't really a 'fix' for anything. They are just being separated away from the newer cards. The 12.6 is basically the last drivers that will be released for these cards as ati moves away from supporting them. It is possible that the card will work better than when you last used it, but it is likely not these drivers that made the difference, but something updated a while ago you just never used.
!