Computer Startup Issue!

zeromacro

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
The re-occuring issue :
When starting the PC the HD 4850 graphics card goes on full blast fan speed constantly for a good 30seconds until the computer shuts down itself. The whole time the screen is blank and after a few forced shut downs and reboots I can boot into windows and it plays just fine.

My unworking diagnosis so far:
Changed every single hardware except the graphics card : case, CPU, MOBO, RAM, sound card, PSU, HDD, SDD

Spec : Windows 7 64bit
Core i5 3450 (ivy bridge)
gigabyte Z77-D3H
Samsung 12000mhz 4GB x 2 DDR3
OCZ SSD 70GB
FSP 500 watt PSU
Asus Xonar STX sound card

Which leads me to believe that it must be the graphics card. I've tried using the HD2500 intel graphics but it keeps freezing for some reason during boot. Maybe it's the bios settings? I'm a noob to internal GPU

Some help would be appreciated!

drums101

Distinguished
when you switch to the integrated graphics and it freezes during windows bootup it just sounds like a software issue...if you have replaced every part you can besides the card it def means the graphics card is to blame....if you can I would look into replacing it....absolute worst case scenario you could reformat windows to get the onboard working but to me that seems like a waste if you are gonna replace your dedicated card with something else....what you should do is boot into windows with your 4850 in and remove all the drivers for it....shut down remove the card and hook up the integrated video....then boot into the BIOS and change the primary adapter to iGPU....now boot into windows and see if that works....report back

zeromacro

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012

Yeah it must be the graphics card indeed. I'll try your method of deleting all of the 4850 drivers and reboot into igpu on bios. How much memory you recon is good to dedicate for it?

zeromacro

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012

yes i have a six pin connector from the PSU connected directly into the 4850.