Sign in with
Your question
Closed

CPU upgrade core 2 duo to core 2 quad

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
March 1, 2013 2:03:00 AM

Howdy folks,

I have an old PC I use as a NAS and Plex (media) server. It currently has a Core 2 Due E6300 CPU in some proprietary Lenovo MOBO. Since plex is fairly intense on the CPU when it comes to video transcoding, I would like to upgrade it, without having to buy a whole new system.

So, can I swap out my current CPU for a core 2 quad (Q6600-Q9300) without my system crashing? also, will this require me to re-authenticate my Windows, its an OEM version and I don't know the rules about it.

Thanks!!

Best solution

a b à CPUs
March 1, 2013 2:15:16 AM

You'll have to check at your Lenovo's website, to find out if they support the Core2Quads. Sometimes a quick BIOS upgrade is all that maybe required. But if your mobo cannot support 95W CPU's then tough luck. Also, Core2Quad are ridiculously expensive these days, so unless your getting it second hand for like $80 or less, it wouldn't be worth buying.

The best thing for you to do, is sell off your current rig, and build a new one from scratch. If your a bit tight on money, even a $140 FX-6300 will be a massive improvement over your older dual cores when it comes to video encoding. AMD's new FX chips just LOVE video encoding:)  You get almost the same performance from a $190 FX-8350, as a $330 Intel i7-3770k !!! :D 

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8350-vishera-rev...

If you have money to spare, get an FX-8350 or if you have loads of money, an Intel i7-3930K is definitely the beast for you (6C/12T) .

Edit - Forgot to add, OEM windows versions are tied to your motherboard, not your CPU, so incase you do an upgrade, you should be fine :) 
March 1, 2013 2:26:53 AM

thanks for reply. I have considered building a new rig, but the idea of dropping 90+ dollars for a new OS for a pc that just sits there has been my biggest block. I have a good OEM OS, so I want to use it for as long as possible.

but good to know changing my cpu shouldn't throw a wrench into things
Score
Related resources
March 1, 2013 2:27:06 AM

thanks for reply. I have considered building a new rig, but the idea of dropping 90+ dollars for a new OS for a pc that just sits there has been my biggest block. I have a good OEM OS, so I want to use it for as long as possible.

but good to know changing my cpu shouldn't throw a wrench into things
Score
March 7, 2013 11:26:46 PM

Best answer selected by basm4.
Score
!