Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is this pc build good and compatible?

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 17, 2012 2:31:20 PM

Is this pc build good and compatible?
i am pretty new to pc building but im pretty sure this should be good and compatible but i would just like to double check

case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as
antec three hundred two

hard drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as
western digital blue 1 tb

motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as
ASRock z77 extreme3 lga 1155 (i was thinking about the extreme 4 but i am seeing a lot of DOA reviews lately)

cpu: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-i7-26
intel core i7-2600k sandy bridge. yes i am ordering this one on ebay (lower price and no tax, and yes sandy bridge not ivy)
also by the time you might click the link the auction might end so if it did it is only for 269 bucks and 5 dollars for shipping, i am almost certain there is no tax on this so i am saving a good 30 bucks by doing this on ebay instead on newegg.

memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as
g.skill sniper series 8 gb (2 x 4GB)

graphics card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as
evga geforce gtx 550 Ti 1 gb (if not this i am looking at a radeon 7770 but i am planning on doing an sli setup and ive heard sli for the 550 ti results are tremendous)

PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as
raidmax 630W sli/crossfire ready modular power supply (i am not worried that this is not 80+ certified, but i am worried about running sli with the gtx 550 ti. i dont know much about the 12v power rails but would that be enough amperage to run the two cards?)

accessories:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as
antec kuhler h20 620 liquid cooling system

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as
cooler master 120 mm 4 fan pack (i will have an extra fan but oh well)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as
link depot 3 pin fan power Y cable (i may not need but it will be handy if i do need it or if it will help with cable managment.

i will also be getting 2 fan filters to completely filter any intake depending on my setting

any tips or fixes will be greatly appreciated

More about : build good compatible

October 17, 2012 4:33:59 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by MouseMonkey
m
0
l
October 17, 2012 8:38:41 PM

What's the primary use for this build? If it's gaming I would suggest the following:

1. Pairing a Z77 with a 2600K will really limit the board's intended functionality. Particularly you will lose PCI Gen 3, among other technology advances. Get the Z77 Extreme 4 and the i5-3570K.

2. What you've heard about the 550TI setup in SLI is very wrong - I used to run this setup and it was quite awful. Lagged constantly and wouldn't sync with my monitor's refresh rate. Don't settle for two weaker, older generation cards when you could get a single stronger card for the same money. Go with a 660TI or a 7870 GHz Edition, those will be far better than any 550TI combo.

3. Raidmax PSUs are among the industry's absolute worst - tremendously bad build quality and they're far more likely to fail or short out on you than anything else you could buy. This would be better: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Don't skimp or go cheap on the PSU or it will end badly, like having your PSU blow up or short out on you badly.

4. Drop the Antec Kuhler - it's one of the lowest rated coolers, and a closed liquid loop isn't worth it. If you're doing liquid cooling use the real thing or not at all. Get a cheap air fan like the Hyper 212 Evo.

5. The Extra fans and cables aren't necessary - and the Antec 300 doesn't offer much in the way of cable management. You can drop those.

6. Do not - and I will repeat - do not take store reviews seriously. They're completely baseless most of the time. Use professional reviews from a variety of sources before you determine whether a product is good or not. They're a decent resource but nothing compared to real professional reviews by people who know their stuff.

For that kind of budget I'd chuck that whole build and get this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($35.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($142.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $979.76
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
m
0
l
Related resources
October 17, 2012 10:29:01 PM

ok ill go with the hyper evo, i think im going to stick with the extreme 3, as i do not think the small increase is worth it. also i am probably going to go with the 7770 as i would rather value cpu performance over graphics performance ATM.
another thing is that its not the 300 case its the 302 which has the cable management.
i found a very similar seasonic psu that is modular.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
(it says it is sli ready but doesnt say anything about crossfire? this should still work with crossfire because it has 2 12 volt rails right?)
ill also go with the samsung hdd
sorry if any of this is jumbled as i was just rushing to get this reply up
m
0
l
October 17, 2012 10:54:30 PM

cjcj11 said:
ok ill go with the hyper evo, i think im going to stick with the extreme 3, as i do not think the small increase is worth it. also i am probably going to go with the 7770 as i would rather value cpu performance over graphics performance ATM.
another thing is that its not the 300 case its the 302 which has the cable management.
i found a very similar seasonic psu that is modular.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
(it says it is sli ready but doesnt say anything about crossfire? this should still work with crossfire because it has 2 12 volt rails right?)
ill also go with the samsung hdd
sorry if any of this is jumbled as i was just rushing to get this reply up


For CPUs - the 3570K is better than the 2600K. http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/574/Intel_Core_i5_i5-3...

That PSU is excellent, I have the 430W model of that PSU and it works great. The Antec 302 is fine. But the GPU - definitely get the 7950 or at least the 7870 GHZ edition, don't settle for two weaker cards.

m
0
l
October 18, 2012 3:05:09 AM

i probably wont be able to fit a 7950 in the budget, possibly a 7870, but also looking that the comparison i knew that the ivy bridge architecture had a really good performance gain but i didnt think it was that much.
(as i also see the i7 destroys in multithreaded and multi processes but the i5 destroys in single processes considering how i will be doing a lot of h. 264 encoding this makes it a tough decision)
also do you know much about the two cpus overclockability?
btw thanks for all the help so far
m
0
l
October 18, 2012 3:09:29 AM

also what about the psu being possible to crossfire if need be, again it states that it is sli compatible so it should be crossfire compatible also even though it doesnt state that. right?
m
0
l
October 18, 2012 5:53:09 AM

cjcj11 said:
i probably wont be able to fit a 7950 in the budget, possibly a 7870, but also looking that the comparison i knew that the ivy bridge architecture had a really good performance gain but i didnt think it was that much.
(as i also see the i7 destroys in multithreaded and multi processes but the i5 destroys in single processes considering how i will be doing a lot of h. 264 encoding this makes it a tough decision)
also do you know much about the two cpus overclockability?
btw thanks for all the help so far


As far as overclocking goes they're about the same. Ivy Bridge over heats when you start messing with the voltages, but pretty much any CPU on the market will do that. If you're going to be gaming you don't need the extra threads of the i7, the i5 will handle all your needs.

Quote:
also what about the psu being possible to crossfire if need be, again it states that it is sli compatible so it should be crossfire compatible also even though it doesnt state that. right?


If you're going to run multiple GPUs you will need at least a 750W PSU. And make sure to get a strong brand like Corsair or PC Power & Cooling, a Raidmax PSU won't be able to handle it.
m
0
l
October 20, 2012 1:10:29 AM

okay and thanks for the help again
m
0
l
!