I5 3570k - CPU Errors

cameronmc88

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
Hello,

I have an i5 3570k CPU and was just wondering if there was any other way of monitoring CPU errors besides WHEA Errors?

For memory I use memtest and it's always worked wonders for those broken ram sticks.

Is there a way to test CPU's like that? I had my CPU overclocked with stock cooler in the winter weather and it was fine even gaming BF3 sitting always 70's maybe high 70's sometimes but now it's heading 80-90 territory as the weather has got hotter, btw I followed a decent overclocking guide and was running offset mode.

I noticed I was getting WHEA Errors and not sure if it's just the heat because it hits nearly 90c which I heard is what you want to stay under, I know maybe overclock was silly because I have stock cooler but I'm purchasing a new cooler in a week or so :)

Just wondering if by hitting my 90c it has broken my CPU in any way and is there a way to test if the chip is permanently damaged from running it so hot?
I don't mean won't boot completely fried type of damage, I mean will it now be forever not be as great and cause errors because I ran it so hot.

Thanks,
Cameron.

You likely haven't damaged with heat yet at 90c but your voltages might (depending on what they are)

but it's still not good to run the CPU above 85c for long periods of time

The a way to check for errors would be like to run things like Intel Burn Test or prime95

I would slap a aftermarket cooler onto that chip ASAP and tone that OC down for now

mclovits

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012
Though I've never fried a CPU, I can tell you that they can take a lot of abuse. If you have stayed under 90 degrees C, then I would assume you are ok. I would compare your current performance to what it was like before you overclocked if you can remember. I would say that if your computer is booting though, you're ok. If you are getting any BSOD's there might be an issue, remember that's the recommended TJ Max temp, or the max temp the manufacturer recommends, the CPU could probably withstand even a little more heat. I would lower your overclock, asap and monitor your CPU with CoreTemp or CPU-Z to look for abnormalities in clock speeds, voltages, or just general performance. I wouldn't recommend overclocking again without a good cooler, those stock Intel ones are not meant to go above the stock clocks.