Power supply or I/O switch?

jtevans

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
Hello, I recently had dead space freeze on me and i turned my pc off using the power button. Now it wont turn back on or do anything at all. No fans, lights on mobo, smell or anything. Its an 850w silent pro by cooler master in a cooler master storm trooper case. Why would this cause my psu to just go out like that? Could it be the switch on case that went out?

jtevans

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
ive also tried unplugging everything from power supply and reattaching, still nothing, no sound,lights or fans. was going to rma the power supply but thought i might take psu to local computer doctor and see if they have a psu tester before i mail it off.

Trem

Honorable
May 14, 2013
There is a test you can do to see if your PSU is faulty or not. It involves a paperclip and crossing a green and any black wire on the MB power cable. When you turn the PSU on if the fans etc kick in it's not the PSU.

Also to test if it could be the power switch on the case (not many think of it but see below) disconnect the cable for the power switch from the motherboard and use a screwdriver to short the two pins. If it turns on the switch is at fault.

I have the Storm Trooper case and have had this happen to me TWICE in the last few months. The first time I got home from work and my headset light wasn't on (power from USB even when off) and the machine wouldn't turn on. The second time my PC went into sleep and wouldn't wake. When I turned it off to restart it it wouldn't turn back on.

The first time it happened the motherboard (Gigabyte Z77X-D3H V1.0) stopped working and somehow took the power switch for the case out with it! I confirmed this when I bought the second motherboard (Gigabyte Z77X-D3H V1.1) and it wouldn't turn on until I disconnected the power switch and used a screwdriver to short the 2 pins. I then used the reset switch as a power switch for a few weeks until the second incident which took out the second motherboard.

I didn't test to see if the reset switch was taken out as I ended up getting a new case and also going for an Asus P8Z77-V LX motherbaord.

Good luck! :)