Stable Intel Q9400 Overclock

G

Hello,
Im just wondering if i can overclock my Intel Q9400 without having issues with temperature and constantly testing it to see if it is stable

Im hoping to get between 2.8 and maybe 3.1Ghz for a performance boost.

Thanks

cmi86

Distinguished
There are a lot of architectures you can get away with that on but in my humble opinion core 2 is most definitely not one of them. In my experiences with this architecture is that they run fairly hot under load at stock settings but as soon as any additional voltage is added the temperature climbs radically. For example my Q6600 (GO Revision) is stock 2.4Ghz @ 1.15-1.25v and temps on the stock cooler are around 35 idle and 55-60c load. When first overclocking this chip I attempted a 600 Mhz overclock with voltage only +.10 to 1.25-1.35 and the idle temperature went to 45-50 and load temps increased to 75-80c. I added a zalman CNPS cooler and the temps dropped back down to 30ish idle and a max load temp under prime 95 of 60c

Cygnus x-1

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
it depends on the setup, I did it with a b3 q6600 that I used to have. A had a really good board so voltage regulation was great. That said, I got 3.0ghz on stock volts with a linear temperature increase with frequency on stock cooling. That was until I needed more and purchased an aftermarket cooler,lol

TRENDING THREADS