Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Soft modding a gt240 to quadro

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 23, 2012 4:25:58 PM

Hello,
I have a zotac gt240 gddr5 graphic card, and my need is to use maya and 3ds max, i couldnt buy quadro due to the cost....so is it possible to softmod my gt240 to a quadro? if so how?

all help is appreciated....Thanks in advance
August 23, 2012 5:46:34 PM

parthtrivedi said:
Hello,
I have a zotac gt240 gddr5 graphic card, and my need is to use maya and 3ds max, i couldnt buy quadro due to the cost....so is it possible to softmod my gt240 to a quadro? if so how?

This was possible in the past, but I believe now there are physical differences in the cards to prevent this. Unless you are working with really huge datasets, most modern medium to high end game cards will work pretty well. I would just stick with the Zotac card. It's likely to work fine for you needs.
Score
August 23, 2012 6:18:28 PM

A quadro is not a requirement, not do those applications work worse when used with normal card. I have this tested.
Score
Related resources
August 23, 2012 6:37:12 PM

Firstly thanks a lot for the amazingly quick replies.....

secondly, I just wanted to know if i buy an entry level quadro, will it reduce my rendering time drastically, and will it reduce the lag that i face sometimes while opening heavy files(heavy as in a building and surroundings with mentalray materials)?
Score

Best solution

a c 220 U Graphics card
August 23, 2012 6:37:34 PM

parthtrivedi said:
Hello,

Here is a guide for softmodding a GeForce into a Quadro:

http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=539&pgno=...

However, read all of it AND I do not recommend this course of action. If you make a mistake, you could brick the GT240. As it is now, it should meet your needs.

Good luck!
a c 220 U Graphics card
August 23, 2012 6:42:03 PM

Pro level GPUs (along with their associated drivers and applications) are optimized for the operations you are describing. So, yes you will see some improvements over a consumer GPU like the GT240.
Score
August 23, 2012 7:00:51 PM

ohh...I just checked out the guide as u rightly posted above....according to it my chipset(GT215) does not have a quadro equivalent....so am i making a mistake in reading it...or there are any other parameters except "architecture"?.......

Thanks again....btw amazing rig u got there :) 
Score
August 23, 2012 7:02:28 PM

Best answer selected by parthtrivedi.
Score
a c 220 U Graphics card
August 23, 2012 7:04:52 PM

You are reading the article correctly. Not all GeForce GPUs have an equivalent Quadro GPU, even if they do have a match a softmod is not always possible.

If you decided to purchase a Quadro or FireXXX professional GPU, what kind of budget do you have in mind?
Score
August 23, 2012 7:08:13 PM

I had a rough budget of 8k INR (~150USD)...
Score
a c 220 U Graphics card
August 23, 2012 7:11:40 PM

I would suggest a Quadro 600 or a FirePro V3900 in that price range. I use a V3900 in my workstation rig and I am very happy with its overall performance.

Good luck!
Score
August 23, 2012 7:14:05 PM

Your replies were very helpful....thanks a lot...would like to bother you with one last thing....which of the two would be better?

P.S i can search the forum for this but i would like to take it from an expert :) 
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
August 23, 2012 7:23:32 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
a c 220 U Graphics card
August 23, 2012 7:23:45 PM

It really depends on the applications you are using. If your apps can take advantage of CUDA support, then the Nvidia solution is the way to go. If OpenGL or Stream support is available, then the AMD/ATI solution is better.

I think Maya and Max 3DS can use either to off-load some processing to the GPU, vice the CPU, to reduce rendering times.

What are the specs for the rest of your system?
Score
!