Soft modding a gt240 to quadro

Status
Not open for further replies.

parthtrivedi

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2012
Hello,
I have a zotac gt240 gddr5 graphic card, and my need is to use maya and 3ds max, i couldnt buy quadro due to the cost....so is it possible to softmod my gt240 to a quadro? if so how?

all help is appreciated....Thanks in advance

Solution

Here is a guide for softmodding a GeForce into a Quadro:

http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=539&pgno=0

However, read all of it AND I do not recommend this course of action. If you make a mistake, you could brick the GT240. As it is now, it should meet your needs.

Good luck!

Max Collodi

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010

This was possible in the past, but I believe now there are physical differences in the cards to prevent this. Unless you are working with really huge datasets, most modern medium to high end game cards will work pretty well. I would just stick with the Zotac card. It's likely to work fine for you needs.

parthtrivedi

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2012
Firstly thanks a lot for the amazingly quick replies.....

secondly, I just wanted to know if i buy an entry level quadro, will it reduce my rendering time drastically, and will it reduce the lag that i face sometimes while opening heavy files(heavy as in a building and surroundings with mentalray materials)?

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Here is a guide for softmodding a GeForce into a Quadro:

http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=539&pgno=0

However, read all of it AND I do not recommend this course of action. If you make a mistake, you could brick the GT240. As it is now, it should meet your needs.

Good luck!

Solution

parthtrivedi

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2012
ohh...I just checked out the guide as u rightly posted above....according to it my chipset(GT215) does not have a quadro equivalent....so am i making a mistake in reading it...or there are any other parameters except "architecture"?.......

Thanks again....btw amazing rig u got there :)

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You are reading the article correctly. Not all GeForce GPUs have an equivalent Quadro GPU, even if they do have a match a softmod is not always possible.

If you decided to purchase a Quadro or FireXXX professional GPU, what kind of budget do you have in mind?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
It really depends on the applications you are using. If your apps can take advantage of CUDA support, then the Nvidia solution is the way to go. If OpenGL or Stream support is available, then the AMD/ATI solution is better.

I think Maya and Max 3DS can use either to off-load some processing to the GPU, vice the CPU, to reduce rendering times.

What are the specs for the rest of your system?

Status
Not open for further replies.