Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Death of a 20D

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 11:18:19 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Talk about pissed off?
I just bought a few grand's worth of lenses for my 20D.
I paid for them by selling the remaining EOS film cameras I had. Almost on
queue, the 20D decided to act up. Focus all over the place, switching off
for no reason. Then, just minutes after all the stores closed for the
weekend, it just died! DEAD as a DODO the first time I used the inbuilt
flash. Bugger. Now I don't have the cash to buy another body while I wait on
Canon fixing/replacing it. Bugger, bugger, bugger! Why me?

More about : death 20d

November 26, 2004 11:18:20 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Ryadia" <ryadia@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>Talk about pissed off?
>I just bought a few grand's worth of lenses for my 20D.
>I paid for them by selling the remaining EOS film cameras I had. Almost on
>queue, the 20D decided to act up. Focus all over the place, switching off
>for no reason. Then, just minutes after all the stores closed for the
>weekend, it just died! DEAD as a DODO the first time I used the inbuilt
>flash. Bugger. Now I don't have the cash to buy another body while I wait on
>Canon fixing/replacing it. Bugger, bugger, bugger! Why me?


You never heard of rental?
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 11:18:20 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Ryadia wrote:

> Talk about pissed off?
> I just bought a few grand's worth of lenses for my 20D.
> I paid for them by selling the remaining EOS film cameras I had. Almost on
> queue, the 20D decided to act up. Focus all over the place, switching off
> for no reason. Then, just minutes after all the stores closed for the
> weekend, it just died! DEAD as a DODO the first time I used the inbuilt
> flash. Bugger. Now I don't have the cash to buy another body while I wait on
> Canon fixing/replacing it. Bugger, bugger, bugger! Why me?

Comiserations.

How long have you had the 20D? If you just bought it, return it for replacement
if you can, not repair. The lemon factor dominates and you might get back a
fully working 20D that lasts a month before it enter lemon state again.

Finally, don't panic. Remove the battery, the flash card, lenses and flash, and
pretend the camera is fresh out of the box and start with one thing at a time
(attach simple lens, insert battery and flash) and check it out... might be
something silly and ordinary. Check all contacts for cleanliness.

As to your weekend, maybe you can borrow or rent something?

Good luck.


--
-- r.p.e.35mm user resource: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
-- r.p.d.slr-systems: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm
-- [SI] gallery: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
-- [SI] rulz: http://www.aliasimages.com/si/rulz.html
-- e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.
Related resources
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 11:12:22 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Alan Browne" <alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
news:co7lau$2n8$1@inews.gazeta.pl...
> Comiserations.
>
> How long have you had the 20D? If you just bought it, return it for
replacement
> if you can, not repair. The lemon factor dominates and you might get back
a
> fully working 20D that lasts a month before it enter lemon state again.
>
> Finally, don't panic. Remove the battery, the flash card, lenses and
flash, and
> pretend the camera is fresh out of the box and start with one thing at a
time
> (attach simple lens, insert battery and flash) and check it out... might
be
> something silly and ordinary. Check all contacts for cleanliness.
>
> As to your weekend, maybe you can borrow or rent something?
>
> Good luck.
>
Thanks Alan...
I actually have 2 of these cameras. The newest is in the Canon repair centre
with a small adjustment to it's back focus getting done. No big deal, most
SLRs have these issues from new and you don't actually know unless you make
some tests. OK so the original one, 7 weeks and 3000 or so shots old is the
one that died. It really is totally dead, won't power up at all under any
conditions.

Dead, gone to heaven (or hell) as the case may be. I also have - wait for it
..... A SIGMA SD9!!!!. This is the final frontier of seeing how far my
tollerance will last. I bought a heap - as in pile of bucks worth - of Canon
lenses over the past few weeks and I had to shoot a function with the SD???

Australia is a day in front of you my mate. As I write I am going through
the day shoot (Saturday) and wondering why I bothered to buy Canon. The
Sigma's pics are quite good. There's a couple I shouldn't have taken but I
forgot it's quaint little quirks. Haven't used it for a most of the year. Oh
well. Im about to dig up the family silver and go the 1Ds route. The 20D is
not all that much better than the 10D was. I've got an offer to use the cost
of the newest 20D as part payment for 1Ds... I'll take it I think. Keep the
repaired 20D as a backup.

Doug
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 11:12:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Ryadia wrote:

> Australia is a day in front of you my mate. As I write I am going through

Well, about 14 hours, anyway.

> the day shoot (Saturday) and wondering why I bothered to buy Canon. The
> Sigma's pics are quite good. There's a couple I shouldn't have taken but I
> forgot it's quaint little quirks. Haven't used it for a most of the year. Oh
> well. Im about to dig up the family silver and go the 1Ds route. The 20D is
> not all that much better than the 10D was. I've got an offer to use the cost
> of the newest 20D as part payment for 1Ds... I'll take it I think. Keep the
> repaired 20D as a backup.

The Sigma SD9/10 are not as bad as we like to harp, and Sigma really screwed up
by offering it in a proprietary mount. Had they offered it in Canon, Nikon,
Minolta, Pentax, Olympus,... mounts, they would have really cleaned out a slice
of the market (esp. Minolta and Olympus).

Have fun with the 1Ds.

Cheers,
Alan

--
-- r.p.e.35mm user resource: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
-- r.p.d.slr-systems: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm
-- [SI] gallery: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
-- [SI] rulz: http://www.aliasimages.com/si/rulz.html
-- e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 11:12:24 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

In article <30scfpF33o3utU1@uni-berlin.de>, Ryadia <ryadia@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Do you actually own a SD9/10 Randall?
> If you did you'd know it is only under (easiely repeatable) conditions the
> sensor is likely to behave oddly. As for strange colours? Not from mine.

I own a 10D, but have seen enough of Sigma's products through the years
- and seen enough of thier digital images to know of which I speak.
It's oddball technology in an overpriced body.
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 4:51:49 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Randall Ainsworth" <rag@nospam.techline.com> wrote in message
news:271120041436517271%rag@nospam.techline.com...
> In article <30scfpF33o3utU1@uni-berlin.de>, Ryadia <ryadia@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Do you actually own a SD9/10 Randall?
> > If you did you'd know it is only under (easiely repeatable) conditions
the
> > sensor is likely to behave oddly. As for strange colours? Not from mine.
>
> I own a 10D, but have seen enough of Sigma's products through the years
> - and seen enough of thier digital images to know of which I speak.
> It's oddball technology in an overpriced body.

How can I argue the merits of a camera I made a living with in 2003 when you
have profound wisdom on the subject and know more about it than me? I sold
my 10D and kept the Sigma. I don't regret that decission.
Doug
!