Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Complete gaming setup ($800 price range)

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Gaming
  • Monitors
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
October 17, 2012 6:17:39 PM

Hello, I am looking to buy a complete gaming setup (monitor, pc, mouse, keyboard) all for around $800.

*I want it to be able to play modern games on high (not highest) with playable frames

*I can build it myself

*I don't care if the parts are used (as long as they work)

*I live in Toronto, Canada so shipping has to be taken into account

*I would love a monitor that is at least 20 in.

*If possible use pcpartpicker.com/ca

*Going to be used 95% for gaming, so a cheapo cpu would be good

Thanks

More about : complete gaming setup 800 price range

a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
October 17, 2012 6:22:21 PM

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/kB3d
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/kB3d/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/kB3d/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i3-2130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($124.99 @ Computer Valley)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($33.26 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($189.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case ($43.70 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($49.88 @ Canada Computers)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($15.57 @ DirectCanada)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($96.99 @ Computer Valley)
Total: $664.37
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

I left you a little bit of money leftover, as I have no idea what monitor or mouse you would want. I'm not that intuitive in terms of monitors (my monitor is like 5 years old)
m
l
October 17, 2012 6:22:59 PM

Edit

*At least 8 gigs of ram

*I plan to add a second gpu in the future

Also newegg.can is having an anniversary sale so don't know if any of those parts are worth checking out.
m
l
Related resources
October 17, 2012 6:29:38 PM

That's a nice computer but it only leaves 150 for a keyboard, mouse, and monitor. With shipping costs that brings that 150 even lower. So I don't know.

Also already have a retail copy of windows 7
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
October 17, 2012 6:31:12 PM

In that case:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/kB6W
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/kB6W/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/kB6W/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i3-2130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($124.99 @ Computer Valley)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4-M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($99.36 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($33.26 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($189.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case ($43.70 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 520W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($15.57 @ DirectCanada)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($96.99 @ Computer Valley)
Total: $663.85
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
m
l
October 17, 2012 6:41:08 PM

@Deemo13 I'm not sure what you changed for the second build. $1 in difference.
Also I really need a suggestion for monitor since there are so many options.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
October 17, 2012 7:38:37 PM

I just changed the power supply and the motherboard to suit a second video card in the future.
m
l
October 17, 2012 9:00:39 PM

This is what I decided to go with. Thoughts?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
October 17, 2012 10:24:43 PM

Personally I would go with the H77, and that power supply is not going to be able to Crossfire that certain card in the future. Need one with more power.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
October 17, 2012 10:40:29 PM

Yea your budget is a bit lean for something like a crossfire/sli configuration you would need to more then likely need to upgrade your power supply at some point. Unless you can push your budget up to something like this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
October 18, 2012 1:54:39 AM

buying...
m
l
October 18, 2012 2:11:51 AM

So that new psu wont be able to handle crossfire? So I need a 720w psu?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
October 18, 2012 2:14:37 AM

That PSU won't be able to crossfire/sli with the video card you are getting. 550w is enough to run the build and a bit of overclocking. By the time you want to get the second card, you also have to take capacitor aging into account as well.

Also why cheap out on the motherboard, monitor, and hard drive. You put far too much of the budget into the cpu and gpu. Get a cpu a few tiers down at least and buy parts that will last.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
October 18, 2012 2:17:10 AM

Also that motherboard does not have 2 pci-e x16 lanes
m
l
October 18, 2012 2:43:08 AM

If you could suggest a cheaper cpu that would be great since I probably dont need one that fast for gaming. Im staying with the mobo since im getting it from a friend for $20. I wasnt trying to skimp with the hard drive, I just dont need more then half a gig. If you could suggest a better monitor that fits within my budget (possibly with the savings from the cheaper cpu). I just thought it was a good deal for 23in plus good ratings.
m
l
October 18, 2012 2:47:44 AM

So that means i wont be going for crossfire, but i think the card will last me a while esp. if OC it.
m
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
October 18, 2012 3:06:12 AM

Idk I think you are being a bit negative on his components. Look evil you could turn around and get a SSD and then that would put in void the argument with the hard drive its just a storage drive shrugs. With the 2 video cards thing it looks good it shows up nicely on benchmarks but it doesn't always show up well in real performance in applications so you are doing just fine with the 7950. Asus has been making decent gaming monitors for a little bit and its a 1080p monitor can't complain to much its not some expensive monitor but its good for what your using it for. And honestly the cpu is a great cpu i3's are dual core processor and i5's are quad and games are becoming more and more adaptive to quads so I think that's a better option. All in all you have a great build I don't care much for the power supply because its only 50 watts over the minimum but hell you are using a mini atx board that won't draw as much power so maybe you will be fine. Keep your chin up dude your computer looks great there are always things you can have that are better bigger badder more badass but get them when you have the time/funds to do it.
October 18, 2012 3:27:19 AM

Thanks man thats good to hear. Is there a higher voltage PSU that is not much more expensive? One you would personally recommend?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
October 18, 2012 3:41:05 AM

Well, I would go with a 650watt power supply the suggested is 600 for recommended I like going a little over just me personally you can get what you can afford of course. Which is a little more but if you have no intent on going with 2 cards this will do you fine otherwise the 2nd link will get you to a 2nd card give or take depending on the card/series in most cases cant stress that enough you would have to do your homework on it. The first link will supply power for a graphics card that would use 2 power connections or 2 1 power connection cards where as the 2nd can do 2 cards with 2 connections but that is also dependent on what your card needs. But let me stress this though you are probably better off with just using one 7950 2 cards often times causes more problems then fixing them so I would just get enough breathing room for your one card and enjoy yourself dude.
Maybe something like this.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
m
l
October 18, 2012 3:49:37 AM

Thanks a bunch to all of you guys. @bigshootr8 I think I will go with your first option there.

Now that I have all my parts its not going to be fun waiting for them all to arrive in the mail >.<
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
October 18, 2012 3:50:22 AM

but isn't that the best part getting them in the mail getting all excited that your package is coming idk maybe I'm to much into hardware :( 
m
l
October 18, 2012 3:51:19 AM

Best answer selected by evilbird.
m
l
October 18, 2012 3:56:58 AM

Getting a package is such an amazing feeling. What I meant is the wait for every package to arrive so I can start opening and building

(The opening is probably the best part though. Like its christmas morning and im 8 years old again)
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
October 18, 2012 6:01:06 AM

Don't take my post above as trolling, was just suggesting some things.

Asus makes great monitors but I like to spend a bit more and get an IPS panel based monitor. Asus monitors are more saturated and "vivid" compared to samsung monitors and I have found that each has it's use Samsung has a more realistic color profile, I find to my preference. I use a samsung as my main monitor.

On the Hard Drive, I always go with a western digital black. They last long(over 5 years), have great performance, and are quite. I have had a seagate fail on me in 3 months and a hitachi in a year.

On the CPU, I would have suggested a slower i5 model; $10-20 more to spend on the motherboard. But that's not a problem as you have that setup already.
m
l