Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How hard is it to build a PC, and is this a good build?

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 17, 2012 6:57:53 PM

Hi, i'm just seeking some advice on getting a new gaming PC. I have created a build, but need confirmation that it's good. Also, I am worrying about failing at the building of the system itself. I am 14 years old and know a fair bit about computers, but i'm definitely no expert. So with the right tools (basically just a phillips screwdriver xD), all the compatible parts I need, the good old Newegg tutorial, and a bit of common sense, how easy is it to build a PC? I know about frying the motherboard with static, and I plan to build the PC on a wooden table with a wooden laminate floor underneath. I will also be 'grounding' myself very often by touching the case. So how easy is it to build, do I need an anti static wrist strap, and is this a decent and good value build? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 @ £98.92
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007KZQFEI/ref=ox_sc...

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W @ £149.99
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007RUZKK6/ref=ox_sc...

Video Card: XFX ATI Radeon HD6850 Graphics Card PCI-e 1024 MB GDDR5 Memory @ £139
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0047ZH7FU/ref=ox_sc...

Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 @ £33.14
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00339X1EM/ref=ox_sc...

Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 @ £39.47
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003OEDJTI/ref=ox_sc...

Power Supply: XFX Core Edition PRO650W 650W @ £78.83
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0045L5LGI/ref=ox_sc...

DVD Rom Drive: ASUS 24X DVD Burner @ £15.99
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007IKS7AU/ref=ox_sc...

CPU Cooler: Stock fan @ £0.00

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 @ £56.48
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006GAK6EI/ref=ox_sc...

Subtotal: £611.82

More about : hard build good build

a b B Homebuilt system
October 18, 2012 7:18:38 AM

It is quite easy. You'll want a better GPU for modern games.
a c 87 B Homebuilt system
October 18, 2012 8:13:44 AM

Very easy. You don't need a wrist strap; it's mainly for peace of mind.

You could get the 550w version of that PSU and a 7850 I think. You also want to get low profile ram, and will need an aftermarket heatsink if you want to OC.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
October 18, 2012 11:30:16 AM

if you want to game at this pc 2+ years you definitely want to change this card to atleast a HD 7850 or gtx 660 ( minimum )
a c 87 B Homebuilt system
October 18, 2012 11:37:10 AM

You could get a 3470, an H77 board,and a 7870 or 7950
October 18, 2012 10:31:17 PM

Nice parts, I have the same mobo.

I would get at least 16GB RAM minimum and get a better case. The Cooler Master 690 II Advanced USB 3.0 is a far better case.

If you plan on gaming, the GTX 660 Ti is a better choice than the card you have.

October 18, 2012 10:46:58 PM

all you need is 4gb of ram to run any game, if you want to run a server or something then 8 is good but usually a simple server can still use 4 ram is so cheap though getting 8 12 or 16 is all less than 100 bucks

i would recoment the 7770 gpu its only like 130 bucks and can max any game just fine
the 660ti is a great card and will easily play any game if you want a really good card the 680 is better than the 660ti but 660ti in sli will do better and its about the same price
id get at least a 600w PSU just so for future upgrades and to be safe

you might need a bigger case for these cards people are recommending i dont think they will fit in that case its funny that the hardest compatibility part is finding parts that fit together not just work together

the amd phenom II x4 will max any game even BF3 and its 100 bucks cheaper than the i5 but this would make you have to find a different board and its not as power efficiant. the i5 is better but if you want to save some money to get a better GPU then that would be a good swap
a b B Homebuilt system
October 18, 2012 11:06:16 PM

chairsgotoschool said:
all you need is 4gb of ram to run any game, if you want to run a server or something then 8 is good but usually a simple server can still use 4 ram is so cheap though getting 8 12 or 16 is all less than 100 bucks

i would recoment the 7770 gpu its only like 130 bucks and can max any game just fine
the 660ti is a great card and will easily play any game if you want a really good card the 680 is better than the 660ti but 660ti in sli will do better and its about the same price
id get at least a 600w PSU just so for future upgrades and to be safe

you might need a bigger case for these cards people are recommending i dont think they will fit in that case its funny that the hardest compatibility part is finding parts that fit together not just work together

the amd phenom II x4 will max any game even BF3 and its 100 bucks cheaper than the i5 but this would make you have to find a different board and its not as power efficiant. the i5 is better but if you want to save some money to get a better GPU then that would be a good swap

the 7770 cant max all the games or to be more specific it will not be playable in a proper screen.
October 18, 2012 11:24:43 PM

mrdowntownkiller said:
the 7770 cant max all the games or to be more specific it will not be playable in a proper screen.


yeah it will play any game but not max, i got confused i guess.
a c 87 B Homebuilt system
October 19, 2012 1:57:56 AM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor (£91.99 @ Dabs)
Motherboard: MSI B75MA-P45 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£53.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£29.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£49.72 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£83.41 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card (£184.96 @ CCL Computers)
Case: Antec Three Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Case (£50.13 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.98 @ Novatech)
Optical Drive: Sony DDU1681S-0B DVD/CD Drive (£11.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £606.15
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

That will game far better than an i5 and 7770, though it would need a better mobo and PSU to CF. You could drop the SSD and get this build:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3330 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£137.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£98.92 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£29.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£49.72 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card (£184.96 @ CCL Computers)
Case: Antec Three Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Case (£50.13 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£67.28 @ CCL Computers)
Optical Drive: Sony DDU1681S-0B DVD/CD Drive (£11.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £630.97
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Also has an i5
June 25, 2013 1:50:13 PM

Thank you all very much for your answers, I did read them and take your advice but forgot to respond again! My PC build went very well and all worked fine first time.
a b B Homebuilt system
June 25, 2013 1:58:24 PM

TheRandomGuy7 said:
Thank you all very much for your answers, I did read them and take your advice but forgot to respond again! My PC build went very well and all worked fine first time.


So, did you stick with your original list or make changes?
Share the specs of your built system?
June 25, 2013 2:16:38 PM

As you can see, I changed it around quite a lot. I mixed parts of different people's suggestions to forge this build:

Case: Cooler Master Elite 430
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H
Processor: Intel i5 3570k
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws 2x4GB
PSU: XFX Pro650W Core Edition
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
Disk Drive: Asus DRW-24B5ST 24x Internal SATA DVD Drive
Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon 7850 2GB

This came to around £700 including buying an OS, and new gaming mouse. It seems great value for the performance I get from it, and I'm so glad I built it myself in the end!



a b B Homebuilt system
June 25, 2013 2:21:41 PM

TheRandomGuy7 said:
As you can see, I changed it around quite a lot. I mixed parts of different people's suggestions to forge this build:

Case: Cooler Master Elite 430
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H
Processor: Intel i5 3570k
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws 2x4GB
PSU: XFX Pro650W Core Edition
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
Disk Drive: Asus DRW-24B5ST 24x Internal SATA DVD Drive
Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon 7850 2GB

This came to around £700 including buying an OS, and new gaming mouse. It seems great value for the performance I get from it, and I'm so glad I built it myself in the end!





Looks pretty good, glad you're enjoying it.
I just recently used that same case to build an old PC into which I gave to my newphews. They love being able to see inside! Not the best for cable management considering the large window but not a bad case!
June 25, 2013 2:31:21 PM

Haha yeah, the cable management is pretty bad, I didn't realise before because this is the first time I've meddled with the inside of a computer...

I love the window though, I have my PC sideways so I can always see inside. The cables are tucked away out of view though, so it's all good! :) 
!