Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading XFX Radeon HD 5850

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 23, 2012 6:57:03 PM

Hello,
I have the above video card running in a system with a Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 motherboard and an AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Ed. I wanted to get more performance out of the system and I am trying to refrain from building a new system until next year. I was considering upgrading the video card to an Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 TI. Would the new card be supported on my system and would it be worth it? I am not sure how to figure out what would be the "newest" or most powerful card I can put in my system and it be worth it.
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2012 7:07:03 PM

Ya. I would boost your performance no matter what resolution you play at (unless you're playing at like 720p which then it wouldn't make much of a difference...)

Your cpu might become a bottleneck in the near future (unless you're already overclocking it pretty aggressively)
m
l
August 23, 2012 7:19:01 PM

hoz said:
Hello,
I have the above video card running in a system with a Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 motherboard and an AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Ed. I wanted to get more performance out of the system and I am trying to refrain from building a new system until next year. I was considering upgrading the video card to an Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 TI. Would the new card be supported on my system and would it be worth it? I am not sure how to figure out what would be the "newest" or most powerful card I can put in my system and it be worth it.

hello my friend,
since hd 5850 is a pretty good card,and you want to see a performance boost.you should upgrade
to a top high end card such as 6950 hd ,gtx 580 ,660ti gtx,6990 hd (if you can afford it)
m
l
Related resources
August 23, 2012 7:21:26 PM

The GTX 660 Ti or the HD7870 would be perfect. However, you may run into a bit of a bottleneck with the AMD CPU. It shouldn't be too much of a problem. Make sure you have an aftermarket CPU cooler (not the stock cooler) and overclock the CPU to around 4.5GHz and you're good to go.
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
August 23, 2012 7:36:49 PM

I wouldn't recommend the 660 TI. It is a very memory bandwidth bottle-necked card and it has highly varying performance as a result of this and other issues. The 7870 is getting a price cut soon to an MSRP of $250 and so I don't recommend buying it unless the price cuts have gone through and I missed them, although even at it's latest uncut prices, I'd recommend a 7870 over any 660 TI. If you want a 660 TI anyway, then I suggest at least getting a 3GB model. It helps a little with the memory bandwidth problem because 2GB on a 192 bit bus can cause even worse issues if you go over 1.5GB of VRAM utilization.
m
l
August 24, 2012 3:33:48 AM

I have a brand New ATI Radeon HD 6870 2Gb Black addition with the receipt for $125 I will sell you Im looking to upgrade myself to (2) GTX 680's or (2) Radeon D 798's or (7990 when it comes out) Im going to run (3) 55"samsung 720p tv's in eyefinity. I woul ell or less but I have the receipt and they one year waranty for the card, and I fortunely paid ttop dolar on the 6870 as if wasjust days before they cut the prices. let me know and i'll give ou my info for transaction.
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 3:40:44 AM

Three 55" 720p displays could be handled by a single 7870, let alone a single 7950 or 7970. Two 7970s or 680s would be stupid anyway because the 670 has indistinguishably close performance to the 680 and the 7950 also has indistinguishably close overclocking performance to the 7970. No one that I know of can tell sub 5% differences, but a lot of people can see 20-40% price hikes.
m
l
August 27, 2012 10:10:17 PM

But the only problem i would have running 3 55" hdtv's as monitors is that each gpu has just 1 HDMI plug and the samsung hdtvs I have only use HDMI no VGA or DVI, I figured I could split 2 tvs with the one outlet but addinga 3rd tv I would need a second Graphics card to run a additional tv. What I also dont know is if i split a line off 1 graphics card to 2 tv's will it still work with 3 tv's? or will 2 tvs have the same identical picture on each of them. Where as the 3 tv's will make one big screen if 2 tv's are getting the same signal they will play the same graphics on both screens. So i was under the impression you had to have a graphics card for each t.v to make 1 picture out of 3 screens. Or is does that have to do with the way you setup the displays in the control options?? Im new to the multi screen setups but i really want to do three 55" tvs instead of 12 24" monitors, the less bezel split i have the better, and speaking of which (bezels) I seen a kit for hdtvs that allows you to take etheir the right or left bezel off leaving just the tv screen glass exposed and the kit provides a clip type bracket that connects the screens together at the top and bottom of the screen and you'll have no split in the screens going from 1 to the other. Basicly giving you the ability to make 3 tv's / Monitors of your choice into 1 giant screen. But the kit only works with certains brands as some tv/monitors bezels do not come off or are all 1 piece.
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 3:37:56 AM

Do you know that HDMI and DVD-D use the same digital signaling? A simple passive adapter can work with HDMI to and from DVI-D, unlike the active Displayport adapters that are really more of a converter plus adapter than a mere adapter. All DVI ports on modern graphics cards (and pretty much every graphics card that has them) support both DVI-D and DVI-A, so you should be set so long as you have three HDMI and/or DVI ports. Heck, there are cables that have HDMI on one side and DVI-D on the other (all modern DVI monitors are DVI-D because DVI-A is analogue and modern monitors with DVI ports are all digital).

However, most cards can only handle two displays that use an HDMI or DVI-D port, although some can run three rather than two. Simply choosing a card that can use three displays over HDMI/DVI-D would solve your problem.

If you insist on CF, then two Radeon 7770 cards would probably be ideal for you. They'd have the performance you'd want and are definitely going to have enough HDM/DVI ports for you. You might want to get some well factory overclocked models and/or manually overclock them just to make the most of them, but even stock, reference 7770s should be great.
m
l
August 28, 2012 5:23:28 AM

So if the only inlets on my hdtv is HDMI this will work? Because on the back of my Tv there are 2 inbound hdmi ports and the coxial cable for cable tv. I've had a couple people tell me all new hdtv have DVI and or VGA on them my samsung doesnt just HDMI. On my old computer I had to install a cheap PNY graphics card just to have the HDMI outlet to connect my computer to my TV. As for the signaling being the same I do believe so its just the shape of the plugs are different and a HDMI plug will not fit into a DVI inlet. Idunno maybe im missing something its late here and im tired LMAO. Anyways thanks for your help and if there is something Im not getting please do tell me.
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 5:36:54 AM

Like I said, the graphics card's DVI ports use the same signalling as HDMI. A sub $5 cable could be both a cable and an adapter for it (although it would probably need to be a better cable to also transmit audio unless you add a second cable for that).

Some cables have one HDMI connector and one DVI-D connector on the other side. They will let you use an HDMI monitor with a DVI port and a DVI monitor with an HDMI port.
m
l
!