Sign in with
Your question

Improve GPU with new CPU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 23, 2012 6:57:13 PM

Hello all! :hello: 

I'm planning to upgrade some components: CPU, Motherboard and RAM..

My courrent setup is:

- AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition @3.01GHz
- Asus M3N-HT Deluxe/Mempipe
- 2x2GB RAM DDR2 @1071MHz (auto overclocked) Corsair XMS2
- 2xGTX460 768MB OC
- OCZ Fatal1ty 750w PSU

And the new will be:

- Intel i7 3820 3.6~3.8 GHz
- Gigabyte X79 G1.Assassin II
- 2x4GB RAM DDR3 ????MHz.. Or maybe 4x2GB to use Quad Channel..

The question is..

1- This upgrade, can improve the GPU performance in games? I'm refering to a possible bottleneck with the Phenom II X4 setup..

2- And, do you think that this will REALLY improve the general (GPU, CPU, RAM) performance/FPS in games like BF3, X Plane 10?

* Previously planned to buy an GTX680 or similar, but with the 940 BE, it's a no go!
* I play at 1920x1080..

Thanks!

More about : improve gpu cpu

a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
August 23, 2012 7:14:21 PM

why would u do a x79 with a 3820 for gaming? save your money and get an i5 3xxx. quad channel ram isnt going to do anything for you.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
August 23, 2012 7:14:21 PM

Well, your gpu performance won't change no matter what cpu you get (it can only be bottlenecked)

So ya. your in-game performance won't get much of a boost if you only upgrade your cpu.

As for games, most of them are GPU dependent so a upgrade to your gpu would be a bigger performance boost than cpu upgrade.

adding more than 4 gigs of ram has zero performance improvements on games.

Basically that cpu upgrade is worthless for gaming (unless you're also doing heavy video editing/photoshopping/rendering, then it would be a good boost for those applications)
m
l
Related resources
August 23, 2012 7:15:54 PM

Yes yes definitely! The superior architecture and clock of the intel will certainly improve your sli performance! Will provide a great boost for sure in BF3. I have never heard of X Plane 10 but a more powerful CPU will always improve performance especially compared to your previous PII 940.

Good decision on passing on the GTX. Your new CPU will extend the life of your system a couple more years and by then a GTX 680 will be worth half of what it is now.

Good luck with your upgrade, have fun gaming :) 

EDIT: daswilhelm made a great point, save money with an i5-3750k, it will provide the same exact performance for gaming!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
August 23, 2012 7:22:24 PM

amk09 said:
Yes yes definitely! The superior architecture and clock of the intel will certainly improve your sli performance! Will provide a great boost for sure in BF3. I have never heard of X Plane 10 but a more powerful CPU will always improve performance especially compared to your previous PII 940.

Good decision on passing on the GTX. Your new CPU will extend the life of your system a couple more years and by then a GTX 680 will be worth half of what it is now.

Good luck with your upgrade, have fun gaming :) 

EDIT: daswilhelm made a great point, save money with an i5-3750k, it will provide the same exact performance for gaming!

How would getting a better cpu improve the performance when the cpu isn't bottlenecking his set-up... at most it would add a couple fps from the better cpu...
m
l
August 23, 2012 7:32:27 PM

Get an Asrock z77 Extreme4 and an i5- 3570k.
Its dual channel. 2 x 4GB 1600-9-9-9.
Need an aftermarket heatsink, Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo.

What is your budget? I am assuming alot since your trying to get an i7. Get a 128GB OCZ Agility 4 SSD if it is. You should also have enough money left over to buy a GTX 660 ti.
m
l
August 23, 2012 8:56:52 PM

Thanks for the replies!

The thing is that in my country, a GTX660ti, for example, it's at USD 620..
The G1 is at USD 695..
Thats the big problem!
The budget doesn't really matters here, the thing that really matters is the situation :p 

I had to choose the LGA2011 setup because the 3820 is a little cheaper than the 2600k or 2700K, but, if i can/want to upgrade the processor the next year, i will go for a 6 core i7..

Sorry! I've a thing to add!! Yes, i really use Photoshop CS5 and some editing video (no Pro)!
m
l
August 23, 2012 9:18:44 PM

I doubt the 660ti would be an upgrade from SLI 460's. Whats been said before is right, if you want to upgrade your cpu, go with an i5, so long as you feel you don't need the extra threads for Photoshop/video editing.
m
l
August 23, 2012 10:05:22 PM

Well if the 2011 is cheaper, go for it. It will not hurt, but here the 2011 is much much more than the 1155. That really sucks that you have to pay twice as much for the 660 ti, what about another card like the 670?

viridiancrystal said:
I doubt the 660ti would be an upgrade from SLI 460's. Whats been said before is right, if you want to upgrade your cpu, go with an i5, so long as you feel you don't need the extra threads for Photoshop/video editing.

Dude...I am no GPU guru, but I do know that you should do some light reading before tossing out advice like this.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
August 23, 2012 10:29:12 PM

It's true that spending the extra money on an i7 over an i5 2500 won't be worth it for gaming, but if you do video editing and photo shop, it might be but that's out of my area of expertise. Your current CPU should not bottle neck your current GPU setup, upgrading your CPU would add a few fps on average if your lucky. I wouldn't drop a bunch of money on a new CPU unless you plan on getting a new GPU with it, or in the near future.
m
l
August 23, 2012 11:07:42 PM

Why is the phenomII 940 at 3.01ghz?

Is it running the stock amd heapipe cooler?

A better cooler and some overclocking would help and end up costing about $40..

The new cooler is also compatible with socket 1155 so if you upgrade later the cooler is not a waste of money.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

$34.99 $29.99 after $5.00 rebate COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$49.99 $34.99 after $15.00 rebate COOLER MASTER RR-H612-20PK-R3 120mm Sleeve with 6 Heat Pipes Hyper 612 PWM CPU Cooler (LGA 2011 Version)

m
l
August 24, 2012 2:29:07 AM

Yep!! BTW, here a 7970 is about USD 800~1100 (our $4200~5200) because an importing restriction and the imposibility to buy USD at official exchange price

The i7 3820 and the Gigabyte are a buy oportunity because the lower price..
Because of this, and a future six core i7, i can't move from this choice..

Obviously, before a Six Core, i'll get rid of the Multi GPU setup and buy a High End nVidia or ATI card (except the 690 :D  )

OC is not an option.. I've tried to OC the Phenom, 3.4~3.6GHz, but never saw any super improvement! :sweat: 

Thanks for the replies guys!
m
l
August 25, 2012 7:48:12 AM

Overclocking the phenom and not seeing any frame rate improvements means it is not cpu-limited. There is some other bottleneck or issue then.

Maybe its more of a driver or settings issue.

Is sli actually working? Did you try games with one card running and retest with two in sli?

Is physx enabled? set it to "no acceleration" so that games use the cpu cores instead. This should help on games that have physx. Make the phenomII-X4 do more of the work.

Are settings like aa and af set high to 8x or higher? you don't need them set any higher than 4x. These were mostly a fix for games rendered at lower resolutions like the old svga 1024x768 that looked jagged and blocky, games rendered at 1080p are already fine and smooth looking.

What is the "mip map" set to? It only needs to be set to med or the middle setting.

It sounds like a driver or settings issue really. Do some playing around before spending cash.

m
l
August 26, 2012 2:21:58 AM

I can play most of the actual games at decent FPS.. But i don't really want to OC the Phenom, since i didn't saw any SUPER improvement.. :p 
I really like to play with the bios, and nVidia settings..

BUt, need4speeds, you made me remember something!!!
There's a thing that bothers me A LOT!!, i think it's related to RAM..

(my english is not very good, sorry!)

Every, mmmm, 3 seconds, most noticeable in First Person Shooters, i can see a jump.. No matters if i'm playing at 60fps, the jumps occur! I don't know if i'm not explaining well..

No Windows, GPU (tried with my old GTX260 216sp) or in-Windows settings..
m
l
August 26, 2012 3:12:12 AM

This is called micro stuttering because the game is pulling its data live off the hard drive, not RAM like it should be. This can be fixed with a solid state drive.
m
l
August 26, 2012 10:35:06 PM

Did you enable "vertical refresh" so that the card's framerate matches the displays refresh rate. Even with a single card if these are out of sync you will get "tearing" and a refresh rate "catch up" that causes a stall and stutter.

m
l
September 7, 2012 2:38:37 PM

Hello all! And sorry!!

Some time ago I answered from my phone, but seems that i didn't pressed "Submit" :sweat: 

The answer was: Thanks!

I finally (yesterday) bought:

- i7 3820
- Gigabyte G1.Assassin II
- 4x2GB Patriot Viper Extreme 2000MHz

And, yes! i don't see any crazy improvement in fps.. A few fps in some areas in X Plane, and a lot in others.. But the improvement in some other games is null!

Thanks people!!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
September 7, 2012 7:40:04 PM

go figure.
m
l
September 12, 2012 4:00:46 AM

I'm back!

After some days of test, here's my opinion:

* FSX

- Before: Unplayable! Less than 30 FPS..

- After: I can play this game now! :p  Very smooth! Nothing more to say!

* X Plane 10:

Well, in this game, in very populated areas (buildings, trees, cars, roads) the i7 gives me a super improvement in FPS, i don't know exactly how much, but the game is very smooth now (something like 60FPS with i7, and 40FPS with 940)!
In other areas, where there are A LOT of objects (airports), only get 5 FPS more (where the 940 gave me 8FPS, the i7 gives 15FPS)

There was a thing, that made this game unplayable!
With the Phenom, when i turn the camera/view, for example from left (viewing the airport) to the right (viewing the roads), the FPS goes down to 1 or 2, for some seconds.. Obviously, theres something that needs to load, and drops the FPS! Somethimes, the drop was for 20 seconds, or infinite, until i turned the camera to the other side!

Now, with the i7, i can turn the view all around, and the FPS are constant, no drops to 1 FPS.. Of course, the airport is a FULLY populated place, so viewing the airport, i got 15 FPS, and turning to the roads, 60 FPS (for example), but no drops to 1 FPS :)  It goes straight from 60FPS to 15FPS, and to 60FPS again..

* Battlefield 3:

Well, i wasn't playing this game.. The last time was when it was released!! I bought because it was in offer, and i liked Bad Company 2..

When i was playing with the Phenom, and somebody threw me a grenade, bomb, or anything that activates the physics next to me, i experienced a masive FPS drop, that made the game unplayable in MP, because, in these 2 or 3 seconds, somebody killed me!

And again, a lot of micro shuttering (not so micro, because the shuttering only ocurred every 2 seconds)..

I played like that, and installed the first patch from Origin (2GB one i think!!), but those problem persisted!

Now, BF3 is very playable!! No micro shuttering, and no FPS drop when someguy throws me a grenade!

But, i need to say that, since the last time i've playet BF3, maybe EA released a lot of Updates, and maybe, in those updates, they fixed the FPS drop and the Shuttering, so, i don't really know if the i7 fixed that, or the Updates!!

(BTW: The sound with this card, is amazing!! Next MB will be a High End like this!!)

Now, as i said that! The thread (for me) is over!!

Thanks people!!

m
l
!