Sign in with
Your question

HP laptop won't start unless I remove the battery

Last response: in Systems
October 17, 2012 8:45:20 PM

I have a HP DV6 ENTRAINMENT LAPTOP AND IT WON'T START MOST OF THE TIME UNLESS I REMOVE THE BATTERY.
With the AC adapter plugged in and the battery installed it may or may not start (mostly it will not unless the battery is removed.
Once it starts I can reinstall the battery and it works as it should. If I unplug the AC adapter and run it on battery it works just fine. It will restart if I shut down and restart the laptop say within 10--20 minutes but wait longer than that it won't start unless the battery is removed. ANY help WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED .
October 19, 2012 4:18:28 PM

Battery might be bad?
Mac
m
l
October 29, 2012 3:21:27 AM

Thanks Mac but I installed a new battery and the same thing happened.
m
l
Related resources
October 29, 2012 9:50:35 PM

This is an update to my problem; I replaced the main power switch and it seems like this was the problem. (I'm hopping so).
Thanks Mac for the help.
m
l
November 9, 2012 7:10:52 PM

GeorgeVegas said:
This is an update to my problem; I replaced the main power switch and it seems like this was the problem. (I'm hopping so).
Thanks Mac for the help.

what do you mean by main power switch? I am experiencing the same issue with my DV6. I purchased a new battery and have same issue. I will be able to fix it myself as I am experienced in fixing computers. I just need to know what to buy. thank you
m
l
November 16, 2012 4:46:14 AM

Well the switch I replaced was the one you use to turn the laptop on (above the keyboard and to the left) but that was short lived. The thing is doing the same thing it did before.
But I did notice that it will run on battery but when I plug in the ac adapter it doesn't charge the battery and if I remove the battery the laptop shuts down. I checked the ac adapter and it putting out about 19volts DC so I'm thinking that is working.
Will post anything that I find to fix this problem.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
November 17, 2012 8:56:43 PM

When you replaced the switch you probably left the laptop unplugged and without battery long enough for the caps to drain. That reset firmware that normally keeps running (to monitor the power switch among other things).

If you have it running to the point that you trust a BIOS load I'd assume a firmware problem and load bios. There is not that much else you can do on a laptop before you decide to swap MBs.
m
l
!