GTX 680 reference card: OC-ing using Precision X

G

Hello Forum Members.

I need some questions answered.

1st of all I have never OC'd any of my Video Cards before. I'm really interested. I'm running 2650x1440 as my main gaming monitor flanked by 2 1920x1080 monitors for 2D applications. I think I need to get the most out of my card for this resolution. I'm getting huge dips in GW2 (I know I know, it’s not optimized for Nvidia yet but I'm still worried) And why not get the extra FPS if I can =)

I’ve been reading forums and such but can’t get anywhere. Need all the advice I can get.

Let’s get to the meat of my questions:

1. How much performance gain on average would I be seeing? (I see about 10% on forums) –I know it’s different on every card. –but average.

2. What about life expectancy in regards to OC vs. Non-OC

3. Do I need a Cooler like I did my CPU?

4. I read that it “throttles back” when it reaches 70C? When I play D3 running Temperatures is already 75C. Is that normal? Does that throttle back already? I’m confused about this…

5. What does Back plating do?

6. I can only seem to find GTX670 OC’s steps –would it be the same as GTX680? (link below)

http://www.overclock.net/t/1265110/the-gtx-670-overclocking-master-guide

7. Will updated drivers mean I have to OC again?

8. Is everything done on Precision X? IF not what else?

9. Warranty with OC-ing using Precision X?

10. Am I missing anything?

11. Links? with step-by-step for a noob?

Thanks in advance for all your comments and replies. Look forward to hearing from you!

Note: Rest of system is on my signature!

lt_dan_zsu

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Well I have a 560ti.
1. On my 560ti I got an extra a150mhz on core clock. On the Metro Benchmark I went from getting 21 to 25 fps. So you can get a pretty decent percentage but I dont think it would scale directly.
2 and 3. If you are not doing overclocking to extreme chances are you don't need an aftermarket cooler. Just make sure it isn't getting to hot. If it isn't getting to hot you will not lose life much. Even if you do it won't matter that much because chances are you will be want to upgrade before it dies.
4. My 560ti was throttling immediately in furmark, but it didn't get any performance dip in any games or any other benchmark software. So even if it is, it doesn't really matter.
5. Backplates and an additional heat spreader and are good for stability purposes on heavy cards.
6. Yes it will be about the same. just keep going up until it gets unstable, and if you wanna go higher you can go increase the voltage and keep increasing.
7. I have never had to reOC when I changed drivers.
8. I recommend MSI afterburner but Precision looks just as good.
9. I OCed with MSI and my warranty wasn't void and Precision is just as acceptable. (plus it's not like they can tell what you used.)
10. I think everything looks fine.